Hardware Question about Japanese 3DS (I'm planning on getting one)

Miyako

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBATemp. :)

I'm planning to buy a Japanese 3DS. It will be my first 3DS so I'd like to make sure of some things:

1. Will any 3DS-compatible DS-mode flashcart work on a JAP-REGION 3DS? or is there a japanese flashcart for JAP-REGION 3DS? (since the 3DS is region locked)
Sorry I know this is really a noob question but I've read that a flashcart 'disguises' itself as a DS game. Since it 'disguises' as a US/EU-REGION DS game, will it work on a JAP-REGION 3DS?

2. Is getting a JAP 3DS the only way to access both the game demos and 3DS videos that are available in Japan, or are there ways for a US 3DS to access/download those stuff. I've read a here that there is a way to access/download the Japan-3DS videos, but does it also work for game demos?

3. Will I be able to access/download the game demos and 3DS videos even if I'm not in Japan? Does their server do an IP address check or something. (OK. You can laugh at me with this question)

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
1. Yes. You should be good to go with an Acekard2i.
2. There is no news of US game demos yet. They might get released sometime soon but no official news yet. So, at the time of typing this, there is no possible way to play JAP 3DS game demos. on a North American 3DS.
3. I think yes, but I am not sure so let someone else confirm this.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The first 2 points have been answered already, has for the 3rd one, yeah, you're able to download the demos, videos, eshop and everything else even if you aren't in Japan, all you need is the Japanese 3DS, same goes for a US and EU one, they will still receive the things from the original console's country, from what I recall.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
1) yes, but only certain ones that are compatible with the 3ds (acekard 2i, r4i gold 3ds (r4ids.cn), supercard DSTwo, etc.)
2) As far as I know, no.
3) I can confirm that my (little brother's) Japanese 3ds can download demos/vids/firmware updates from Japan without any proxies.

Miyako

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the quick responses. I'm going to make the purchase.

Also, is there still no news for the 3DS version of flipnote? I'm looking forward to this because it's also one of the main reasons why I'll be getting a JAP 3DS. I had a lot of fun browsing the online content of the JAP-region flipnote when I borrowed a japanese friend's DSi.

keroroslayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry for my replay but this is the proper topic so...
If I happen to buy Japanese 3ds XL because of region exclusives like Hatsune Miku project, Love++ & DB 3ds would I be able to play different region games via acekard or only Japanese ones?
Wish for some proper replay!

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for my replay but this is the proper topic so...
If I happen to buy Japanese 3ds XL because of region exclusives like Hatsune Miku project, Love++ & DB 3ds would I be able to play different region games via acekard or only Japanese ones?
Wish for some proper replay!
If I understand you correctly, a JP 3DS and Acekard should play different region DS games perfectly fine.

keroroslayer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Damn I do have to polish my English again, for you've problems with my way of writing stuff -_- thank you for pointing it out!
Uh yes that was a stated question of mine:> ! Thank you again cheers!

Reactions: Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/j-JgIxFZTKY?si=9yG57ooZm1wvSOsz