[Question] A9LH System transfer failed?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by GorrillaRIBS, Jul 16, 2016.

1. GorrillaRIBS
    OP

GorrillaRIBS Gigyas became tame

Nov 15, 2015
    Canada
    Fourside
    I just picked up the new MHG xl to replace my older, ailing n3ds xl. After installing a9lh on the new system and updating it, I tried to system transfer from my old system to my new one. Unfortunately, the system transfer failed - afterwards my new system had a blank home menu (despite having my old system's microsd (128GB) inserted), and my old system was formatted. I tried restoring NAND backups to both systems, but now I apparently can't system transfer for another 7 days. So I have 3 three questions -

1. Is there any way to get around the block, like formatting the system w/ tinyformat or something?

2. What could've caused that error, and how can it be avoided if/when I try to transfer again?

3. Should I be unable to transfer my content for some reason, would it be possible to inject content from my original NAND to the new system's (like the old way of transferring emuNAND data to sysNAND, individually dumping partitions and then restoring them on the other NAND) - I know you can't restore one system's NAND backup on another as a general rule, but maybe if both systems have a9lh some data could be transferred.

Any help is appriciated!

2. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    When doing a system transfer you can't use your old SD card in the new system, it's still tied to your old system. Your new system would have had the licenses tied to your old system transfer to it during the process, I'm unsure if saves/home menu are transferred

3. GorrillaRIBS
    OP

Nov 15, 2015
    Canada
    Fourside
    When I transferred from my o3ds to my old n3DS (pretty much exactly when the n3DS came out in Canada) I just copied all the data from my o3ds' sd card to my new one's and everything worked fine (and had exactly the same theme/layout on the home menu, with all my digital games) - I'd assume that using the same card wouldn't make a difference.

4. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Just checked Nintendo's docs I'm this and you're right "Remove the SD Card from the source system as it will now be used in the target system."

Were any errors shown during the transfer? Also were you using an emunand on the old system?

5. GorrillaRIBS
    OP

Nov 15, 2015
    Canada
    Fourside
    Both were/are updated sysNAND w/ luma, and I did get an error after being prompted to insert my old sd card into the new system (and doing so). Would it be possible just to inject my tickets.db into the new system and keep my purchases that way?

Last edited by GorrillaRIBS, Jul 16, 2016
  6. Skyshadow101

Skyshadow101 The Sky Is The Limit!

May 22, 2016
    United States
    The Underground
    You can. IIRC, all the file has is title keys. So try that and get back to us.

7. GorrillaRIBS
    OP

Nov 15, 2015
    Canada
    Fourside
    Will do!

8. GorrillaRIBS
    OP

Nov 15, 2015
    Canada
    Fourside
    Just did it, black screen on boot. Looks like that's not an option, unfortunately. Any other ideas?

9. Skyshadow101

Skyshadow101 The Sky Is The Limit!

May 22, 2016
    United States
    The Underground
    Try to just install the tickets you want on it. It should then allow you to install the games through eshop. Just put the original tickets.db in the 3ds before you do so.