Hacking Quake2DS... Now possible?

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can Quake2DS run on the SuperCard DSTwo without the need for a slot-2 flashcart, such as the EZ-Flash 3-in-1?
Or will it first have to have the source code modified to run off of the SuperCard DSTwo's CPU?

I ask this because the supposedly 'powerful' CPU is introduced in this cart.
And I can't try it yet because my SuperCard DSTwo isn't here yet.
ohnoes.png

I'm more than up to the task of learning to re-code the source code, if it is possible...

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States

Traitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
monkat said:
You wouldn't have to change it to search for the SC2 hardware, as it'd run on the SC2 hardware.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Traitor said:
monkat said:
You wouldn't have to change it to search for the SC2 hardware, as it'd run on the SC2 hardware.

You will need the SDK to be able to develop a SC2 specific version. It won't just magically go, "Hey there's a CPU on this flashcart! It's something that didn't exist when I was created, but I recognize it anyways!"

EDIT: @monkat: That's quite depressing. Even I can do that stuff, and I haven't even taken one class...just online tutorials.

dhjohn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:

Dear god that is sad. I could do that a week into Intro to Java in high school.
However, after attempting to help some of the freshmen CS majors at my college, I can kind of believe it....
frown.gif

Traitor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DeltaBurnt said:
Traitor said:
monkat said:

You will need the SDK to be able to develop a SC2 specific version. It won't just magically go, "Hey there's a CPU on this flashcart! It's something that didn't exist when I was created, but I recognize it anyways!"

EDIT: @monkat: That's quite depressing. Even I can do that stuff, and I haven't even taken one class...just online tutorials.
Uh... obviously. The main code will be running on the SC2 processor, not on the DS' was what I was saying, which means it wouldn't need to 'search' for the SC2 CPU.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the entire quake2ds would need to be recoded, this isn't a simple port project. the code was optimized to work with slot2 expansion, very very slow slot-2 expansion. simon j hall rewrote a great deal of the engine to work on the ds with slot2. even with everything he did the game does not run perfect and has many limitations. i think the better question her would be who is willing to start a new engine just for the scds2.

lets hope that with the sdk someone is able to get linux running =P.

-another world

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know none of this coding stuff...

I now feel that I'm not being the best nerd that I can be.

MissingNo._

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Traitor said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Traitor said:

Uh... obviously. The main code will be running on the SC2 processor, not on the DS' was what I was saying, which means it wouldn't need to 'search' for the SC2 CPU.

Exactly. I'd just have to modify the code to run on the SuperCard DSTwo's CPU.

QUOTE(Another World @ Jun 12 2010, 11:22 PM) the entire quake2ds would need to be recoded, this isn't a simple port project. the code was optimized to work with slot2 expansion, very very slow slot-2 expansion. simon j hall rewrote a great deal of the engine to work on the ds with slot2. even with everything he did the game does not run perfect and has many limitations. i think the better question her would be who is willing to start a new engine just for the scds2.

So the options are to either make a new engine or rewrite the whole source code, huh?

QUOTE(_Chaz_ @ Jun 12 2010, 11:23 PM)
I know none of this coding stuff...

Unfortunately, that goes for me too. I'd need to learn a lot...

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Because of the DS card IO port being slow as it is, it makes the cards more like hard/disk drives than it would to RAM on the motherboard. Using the DSTWO's RAM as extra memory is like forcing your computer to use a hard drive as virtual memory. Everything run slow when that happens. To make Quake2DS work with the DSTWO, the entire project would have to be coded onto the DSTWO's side, because any interaction through that IO port other than the output to the DS's screens/speakers will bog down the execution of the program.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY...