[Q]o3DS transferred to n3DS for CFW/ is there a way to extract the saves from o3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by neim81094, Sep 10, 2016.

1. neim81094
    OP

neim81094 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    Hey Guys,

I recently downgraded my n3DS via the DSi Downgrade method from v11 and it now has CFW (Yes :D)
    I didn't delete anything on the SD card of my o3DS with CFW but since I did the transfer the games that I installed are on the o3DS SD Card are not recognized anymore.

My Question is, is there homebrew to extract the savedata from the SD Card data? I was looking into something called SaveDataFiler but I wasn't sure. I wanted to ask the community before poking around the 3DS files on the SD Card.

Thanks!

2. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    Try seeing what your SD card for your N3DS is formatted as. It sould be FAT32 with a cluster size of 32KB. It cannot be exFAT or NTFS.

neim81094 likes this.
  3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    SaveDataFiler IIRC is a 3DS SDK tool, not homebrew. For homebrew, there's JKSM (GitHub link).

What does that have to do with anything?

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    not anymore it isn't.

you would've had to backup your saves before you did the transfer. unless you got a nand backup from close before you did the downgrade, theres no way to get the saves of the cia games back

5. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    OP said his SD card isn't recognized by his N3DS.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    So the first thing you think of is that he magically reformatted it as exFAT or NTFS when the card was previously working just fine in the O3DS.

The real issue is that this is how System Transfer works. Because you transferred from the O3DS to the N3DS, the movable.sed was moved and the O3DS has a new movable.sed. Hence, the "Nintendo 3DS" directory on the SD card is now set up for use on the N3DS.

The solution is to (temporarily?) move the "Nintendo 3DS" directory from the O3DS to the N3DS (with appropriate backups from the N3DS's card as needed), then use JKSM or similar.

neim81094 likes this.
  7. Drew That Gamer

Drew That Gamer weeb

Dec 29, 2015
    United States
    Arlington, VA
    O3DS uses SD and N3DS uses microSD. When I was doing this process, i thought I had done something wrong, when in fact my microSD was exFAT, not FAT32. I'm just trying to tell him that it may be the solution and he may have the same problem I had.

neim81094 likes this.
  8. neim81094
    OP

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    I did backup NAND before migrating but that didn't work when I restored it back since the system transfer migrated the information to the n3DS.

So at this point there isn't much I can do?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I believe this is different but I appreciate your input.

What I'm going to do is just copy all the data from my o3DS SD to the n3DS micro SD and see if the apps will show in the n3DS since it's been "transferred to the n3DS" also I can backup the saves via Save Manager on the n3DS. I'll try that theory after work.

9. neim81094
    OP

Jun 15, 2013
    United States
    To give you guys an update

By doing the System Transfer, it deleted all my games I installed via CIAs from my o3DS SD Card :sad:. Oh well, I will start from scratch,

Thanks Guys!