Gaming Puyo Puyo Tetris Player's Guide (please contribute)

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be good with both for tetris. Puyo is not even that addictive.
But that's a matter of opinion. I can't help if people focus more on one than the other.

Tetris has been out longer than Puyo Puyo, and also more people have played it since being a wordwide popularity. Puyo Puyo has mostly been featured in Japan only with very rare games internationally even possible to be obscure. Not that either of these reasons i mention is me saying that's why it's the way it is, but it's possible that it's related.

But I wish people who played "PUYO PUYO TETRIS" submit some personal experience. There is more that meets the eye here than just "It's two games in one, choose which you like best" there is game modes that combine both of them together making it a newer game than playing separately.

maruuu07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But that's a matter of opinion. I can't help if people focus more on one than the other.

Tetris has been out longer than Puyo Puyo, and also more people have played it since being a wordwide popularity. Puyo Puyo has mostly been featured in Japan only with very rare games internationally even possible to be obscure. Not that either of these reasons i mention is me saying that's why it's the way it is, but it's possible that it's related.

But I wish people who played "PUYO PUYO TETRIS" submit some personal experience. There is more that meets the eye here than just "It's two games in one, choose which you like best" there is game modes that combine both of them together making it a newer game than playing separately.
I don't understand why ur feeling the need to justify yourself. Ur not responsible what other people like to write about in the threat. Pointing out well known facts doesn't fill the information gap that exists on the internet either.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From personal experience I got really good at puyo puyo from first just watching how the chains work, I played big bang (or endless fever in other puyo games) for a while and just watched how the puyos popped to familiarize myself with how chains worked, then I tried to extend the chains meaning instead of just popping the big bang chain outright I added more puyos on it so that the chain is much longer (so if a 7 chain spawns try making it into a 8 chain or a 9 chain?, after that I practised building a form called GTR because it's a nice simple form that beginner friendly, then I learned how to mske the sandwich form and then the stairs form. I also played on emdless for a while, just pick your favorite song and I practised making big chains until I lost. Another thing that helped me was just playing the older puyo ganes story mode like puyo puyo 15th anniversary(my favorite) and puyo fever 2. I also occasionally watch some japanese puyo players stream their matches and I love seeing how good they are and try to watch them in slow mo to analyze what they did and stuff. I also look at all the puyo nexus resources that are available and read about techniques like transitions amd harrassments to get better. Also going through the tutorial mode found in puyo 15th anniversary helped me out a lot because it teaches you alot when it comes to building chains and gives you hands on experience in building them I'm a really good puyo player now so ask me anything if you need help :)

maruuu07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From personal experience I got really good at puyo puyo from first just watching how the chains work, I played big bang (or endless fever in other puyo games) for a while and just watched how the puyos popped to familiarize myself with how chains worked, then I tried to extend the chains meaning instead of just popping the big bang chain outright I added more puyos on it so that the chain is much longer (so if a 7 chain spawns try making it into a 8 chain or a 9 chain?, after that I practised building a form called GTR because it's a nice simple form that beginner friendly, then I learned how to mske the sandwich form and then the stairs form. I also played on emdless for a while, just pick your favorite song and I practised making big chains until I lost. Another thing that helped me was just playing the older puyo ganes story mode like puyo puyo 15th anniversary(my favorite) and puyo fever 2. I also occasionally watch some japanese puyo players stream their matches and I love seeing how good they are and try to watch them in slow mo to analyze what they did and stuff. I also look at all the puyo nexus resources that are available and read about techniques like transitions amd harrassments to get better. Also going through the tutorial mode found in puyo 15th anniversary helped me out a lot because it teaches you alot when it comes to building chains and gives you hands on experience in building them I'm a really good puyo player now so ask me anything if you need help :)
Anything on tetris?

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how is there so many good resources for puyo puyo but not for tetris?!
The hardrop website is a really great resource for tetris, heres some tetris things to read on to get you started
http://harddrop.com/wiki/Category:General_Methods
http://harddrop.com/wiki/Perfect_Clear_Opener
http://www.tetrisconcept.com/2015/02/downstacking.html?m=1
Browse around the website its a really good resource for tetris

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Anything on tetris?
Get familiar with what the 7 bag system is http://tetris.wikia.com/wiki/Random_Generator
Next learn about openers and perfect clear openers that abuse/take advantage of this 7 bag system of randomization https://harddrop.com/wiki/Opener
Now learn about down stacking http://www.tetrisconcept.com/2015/02/downstacking.html?m=1 to practice your down stacking efficientcy get Tetris DS and play the game mode called line clear, it start s you off with really messy board that you have to keep on clearing and this is where your down stacking skills will be mastered
Next learn about the rotation system used in ppt, most notably learn how to produce t spins efficiently http://tetris.wikia.com/wiki/T-Spin_Forecast you can practice getting familiar with the rotation system by playing big bang with tetris because later set ups require you to use spins in order to clear all the lines they give you.
After this try practicing in sprint mode to try to clear as many lines as fast as you can and continuously try to beat your lowest time.

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

delete12345

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No wonder I felt Puyo Puyo is easier than Tetris. There was a 3-star achievement with me battling against Satan as Tee, and it was obnoxiously hard. You need to beat Satan under 45 seconds, or I may be wrong? Spent about 2 weeks during my commute time (30 minutes per train ride), until I finally got it.

Hated Tetris from that point on. Loved Puyo Puyo.

Last edited by delete12345,

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres a nice guide about digging in puyo, DIgging refers to removing garbage puyos from your board in order to access the chain underneath, like in the case that an opponent sends an attack at you and you weren't ready to block it so now two rows of garbage are covering your main chain, digging is strategically placing your puyos so that you are able to "dig" through the garbage puyos so that you can access your main chain.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YRJzFnB_KGxTF--rgVBfzyPd8y4NlJwqjF9G0MdO9mE/edit

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1