• Replies 24

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@SoulSnatcher - CanadaComputers is a great comptuer store . So is TigerDirect, but so far, NewEgg's been beating both stores in terms of price. though i've never ordered from them, the only thing that seems like a bother is the fact that the shipping might get too pricey . And, read PM . i will try editing the build i chose , to fit CanadaComputers and if there price different between CanadaComputers to NewEgg is big, then i will post links to both.

the reason i chose the 2400 is because the different in GHz is very small . if you plan on overclocking, then it shouldn't be a problem with this one . but another extra note, if you do plan on overclocking, it's best to get an after market cooler. in addition to that, it may be a better choice to go with the 2500 because it may be more stable at higher clocked rates . although this is just speculation , it's something to keep in mind.

EDIT: Also, what's your budget before taxes + shipping? so i have a better idea of what i can put together for you .
Will you be overclocking ...? If you are, will it be hardcore overclocking where you will be adjusting voltage and the multiplier, or just simply using the automated motherboard multiplier where it just changes the values for you?
What's this computer to be used for? SolidStateDrive, Yay or Nay?

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a local PC(repair) shop nearby ?
You might be able too buy parts yourself and pay a small fee for them to assemble it for you.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
don't pay, it's best to have the full on experience of assembling the computer yourself !
by doing so, yo learn something new , and you won't have to ask the computer store to ever do anything for you again . the only thing would be is to ask them to get the parts just for you :3

the main thing that you should do before assembling is grounding yourself . other than that , review or watch videos of how to assemble a computer to be sure you know what you are doing .

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Splych said:
the reason i chose the 2400 is because the different in GHz is very small . if you plan on overclocking, then it shouldn't be a problem with this one . but another extra note, if you do plan on overclocking, it's best to get an after market cooler. in addition to that, it may be a better choice to go with the 2500 because it may be more stable at higher clocked rates . although this is just speculation , it's something to keep in mind.
I assume you're referring to Core i5-2400 and 2500? If so, be aware that overclocking these is different to most CPUs. They will not tollerate more than a 5Hz change to their base clock, so it's heavily dependant on the multiplier. Also to get an overclock worth doing, you'd need the 2xxxK editions. A normal 2400, at most, can achieve a 3.99Ghz clock (at 105Mhz with a x38 multiplier). That's only if it's using a single core (the achievable clock is reduced if 2 or more cores are active). A 2500K on the other hand can easily achieve a 4.5Ghz clock (by setting the multiplier to x45) with a minor volt increase, and can be pushed to 4.9Ghz.

I don't have the actual stats for a Core i5-2500 vs 2500K, but I've heard it's the same story as the 2400.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
that's what i was wondering , if he had any plans on overclocking it , and how far he plans on doing it . for those who are normal users who don't plan on overclocking or using the motherboard's automated overclocking feature, it would be best to just get a CPU that is not unlocked. however , if he plans on taking it to a more serious extent, where he will be adjusting the voltage and multiplier, i would've adjusted the CPU choice and tried to make the price fit in better for himself .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)