Purchasing a new PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by soulx, Jan 16, 2011.

Jan 16, 2011

Purchasing a new PC by soulx at 10:41 PM (1,657 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Stuff I would like in the PC
    - Good GFX card and CPU
    - Minimum of 6 GB of RAM
    - 1 TB HDD
    [/p]
    Any suggestions for a good pre-built computer. for ~$700?
    I'd like the PC to be able to play most new games at medium to high settings.

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Why do you need 6GB of RAM? Photoshop much? Also, to play medium-high settings, you only need a mid-ranged card. HD 5770 or better.

Since I'm becoming too lazy to re-list the same parts in every such thread, I'll just add this useful link. The $669 build from it suits your every need (with a lil left over for the extra 2GB of RAM if you really need it).

3. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    He said pre built

4. soulx
    OP

Canada
    The $669 build looks good.
    I did say pre-built, though. If I can't find a pre-built comp. with these specs at ~$650, I'll build the $699 build. I haven't ever built a PC, though. Doesn't look too hard, though. Just afraid I'll do irreparable damage to the PSU and CPU.

5. Originality

United Kingdom
    My mistake for missing that point. I can't offer any advice for pre-built rigs in Canada.

EDIT: It's rather difficult to damage the PSU so long as everything is plugged in properly. As for the CPU, it's just a matter of making sure it's the right way up and pushing in the pins of the stock heatsink. Building computers is rather easy - just takes a bit of logic to work out the order of parts to put in. There are always plenty of resources to help there though - including the manuals for the motherboard/case/etc.

6. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    I built my first pc when I was 14 and its still working now so I'm sure you'll be able to do it easily.

7. soulx
    OP

Canada
    Any thoughts on this pre-built PC? I know it's a bit more than $650 but it is pre-built.
    http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...b=1&vw=icon
    • Windows 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
    • Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
    • Microsoft Office Starter 2010
    • 6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 4 DIMMs
    • 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
    • ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
    • Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
    • Dell USB Entry Keyboard
    • Dell Laser Mouse
    • Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
      Price = $799
    [/p][/p]

8. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    [​IMG] an i7 2600 thats more power than any normal person would need. So unless your gaming you might want to downgrade your cpu little, and if you are gaming that gpu isn't going to cut it.
    http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-570/pd?o...id=inspiron-570
    That one seems like a better option and leaves you $100 within budget to buy a gpu.

9. kylehaas

Member kylehaas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I built my first PC when I was 12, with MINIMAL help from anyone else.
    All my dad did was open boxes and watch.
    Building a PC is easier than building a jigsaw puzzle and, if you play your cards right, will not take longer than 30 minutes.

Also, don't fret over the CPU. CPUs are very easy to install.
    One could argue that CPU fans are a bitch to install sometimes, but you get over that.

Lol, my AMD Phenom ii is currently safely overclocked to 3.8ghz and that's with six cores...
    Trust me, all that power is 100% necessary.

10. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    May I what you use your cpu to run? My i7 920 is also at 3.8ghz and unless I'm gaming its an absolute waste of power, I regret not getting an i5 and getting a more powerful gpu.

11. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Big GPU bottleneck there, Overkill CPU and RAM coupled with a poor performance Graphics Card. Look for builds using Intel Core i5's/AMD Phenom II 965 X4's with around 4gb RAM, get a decent GPU 5870/6850/6870 (I don't know much bout Nvidia Graphics Cards :S). Things to keep in mind if you want to buy something like a prebuilt Dell if you want to install a separate Graphics Card after buying the Dell, is that you'd need plenty space to fit a new Graphics Card and that you'd need a high enough wattage Power Supply to suffice the Video Card's needs (650W~)

12. deka01

Member deka01 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    If youll be doing 3d modelling it wont be a waste

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    IMHO, it'd be better to invest in a last-gen i7 (like a 950 or something), and use a Nvidia card.
    The GTX450 or 460 is around the same price as the 5770, and performs better (and it has PhysX, which is great for games).

14. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    ~$700? this is w/o tax i am guessing , so i will enjoy making such a build .
    but on my way , i will go find you a pre-built one as well [​IMG]

EDIT: consider making your own computer as well . . .
    although it may be more expensive, it'll be better in the far end if you ever plan on upgrading.

so here's the build i threw together:
    mine feels a little ...
    pricey , when you compare it to the Dell Build you found . anyone wanna edit this to either save more money, or make better use with it ?

15. Originality

United Kingdom
    My main criticisms for the Dell computers... a) it's Dell. b) it comes with the usual crappy Dell case/PSU (the PSU will usually be as weak as they can get away with) c) you can almost always build a better computer by selecting your own parts (although rarely so cheap, because you'd almost always find a better case/PSU/motherboard).

Then again, since it's pre-built you don't have to worry about putting it together.

16. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    I can't in all honesty recommend a single pre built.

Buying a pre built is almost the same as giving my computer guru buddy permission to call me a massive waste of sperm.

Fact 1 prebuilts are always too expensive.

Fact 2 pre builts are always made with parts that are already junk by anyone's standards.

Computers, they are really just the following.

Case and power supply.

Motherboard and processor and ram.

Video card of choice.

Hard drive and preferred disk drive.

Putting these parts in is so easy even I can do it eh. If you're dumber than me, you have my sympathy.

You buy the best you can afford in each item, and you assemble it. It's really that simple.

In my case, I prefer decent processor and ram, larger the better hard drive, the right disk drive not the cheapest, and video card is usually tail end charlie as I rarely need a great one.
    The best trick, is learning who is the best retailer in your location.

Myself, it's Canada Computers or Tigerdirect for parts. I usually buy anything else at Future shop. Bought my laptop there for instance.

17. soulx
    OP

Canada
    I'll build a computer. Cost less than buying a pre-built with the same parts.
    I don't like the CPU in the build you posted. The Core i5-2500K is a more powerful CPU and doesn't cost that much more when compared to the Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge. I'm not sure as to whether the PSU is powerful enough, though. Otherwise, this is a good build. I like it and it's not too much over budget.
    ---
    @Panzer:
    I go to Canada Computers when upgrading parts in my computers. Great shop!
    You're right. I shouldn't purchase a pre-built. Doesn't make that much sense to purchase a pre-built computer when I can just build one.

18. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    Goodluck with that mate

You wont be able to buy a decent pre-built box for that price.
    Best bet is to go on a PC shop site and assemble it online and get it delivered at your home

19. soulx
    OP

Canada
    [​IMG]

20. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    Riiiight missed that sorry [​IMG]