Hacking PSX startup

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali ho.

I recall seeing someone who had hacked their PSP so instead of the usual startup jingle it switched on with the classic Playstation intro from the PSX days. However, I don't recall ever seeing any instructions on how this can be done. So, how is it to be achieved? Preferably nothing technical, I'm hoping for a fix as simple as 'download this, put on memory card, profit.' But life is rarely that kind. If it makes any difference, I'm running a PSP 1K Phat with what I understand to be the latest Prometheus firmware, 5.50 V4 or 5, I forget which.

Also, can a PSP 1000 'phat' running OFW 6.35 be hacked without a Pandora battery? Need to know in case my brother ever wants his system flashed.

Jolan

Unlimited Bear Works
Trophies
Website
www.animecubed.com
XP
Country
The start-up jingle is basically part of the cintro, meaning it's located in flash 0.
So...sadly, you'd have to find and replace the original cintro with the custom one you have.
Could lead to bricks, but you have a phat, so Pandora is always a possibility.

As for 1k with 6.35 ofw, you can always run signed 6.35 pro, then run Hellcat's Recovery Flasher 1.65 and install CFW.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
...or use a CTF theme with a custom coldboot which is that PSX startup.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
...and if anyone could repeat that in terms I can understand, I'd be most grateful. I'm a complete newb when it comes to techy stuff. Try to explain it in words of one syllabal or less.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, I found the files I require...but it's proving problematic. Here'ss the guide I used.

http://forums.psp-hacks.com/f134/guide-how...ork-on-t222246/

If that link isn't allowed for whatever reason (probably ROM links) then by all means delete it.

The problem is that I've acquired everything I need and the AutoStart Configurator won't run. It gives me an error message saying Game won't start. I've enabled the proper PRX file but it's not working at all. Is there a solution to this issue? Failing that, a more up to date guide which includes how to get this working on my firmware, Prome-4.

Help is appreciated since I've pretty much got it now, I just need to overcome this last hurdle. And then pray my system doesn't brick or explode
tongue.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Woah, that's shit you don't need to get into.

1 - Get the CXMB plugin and install it.

2 - Put a .PTF theme in the normal theme folder (where .CTF themes would normally go) in your memory stick, and with the CXMB plugin enabled the PTF themes should show up where CTF themes normally would. Then you simply choose it from the PSP themes menu.

The point is finding a theme that has the PSX boot. As for modifying themes, I don't know.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right, as far as I can tell the CXMB thing is installed, although there seems to be no evidence of it thus far. The file I have is a .PMF file I acquired from a youtube vid, it's the correct file to replace my boring old PSP startup screen with the original PSX version. Is there something I need to do to it to make it work, or simply move it into a folder? It's on the root of my card right now.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Woah, hold your horses there....

A PTF theme won't have a modified coldboot....they're just minor changes to the XMB. Are you sure that's what you mean Rydian?

What you need is the Cintro (which would hopefully have bootsound as well as video) and you need to put that in either your flash0 and modify the opening_plugin.rco to have corresponding timings, or, you need to use a CTF theme manager to modify a CTF so it's coldboot/opening_plugin.rco are as you want.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, I'm officially confused with all these acronyms and file extensions. Would it be possible for someone just to create a solution along the lines of 'download this, put it here, win.' I'm on vacation so I'd rather not spend my time off confused as fuck and still listening to that same boring startup jingle.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Just get a CXMB theme with a custom coldboot then.

It's likely that if any do exist with the PSX start up pmf and bootsound, or that there's a pack floating around with the flash0 files, they would be incompatible with your current firmware.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not that simple Jolan. You need to modify the timings in the .rco if the two pmf's play for different amounts of time or you'll get loops.

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, much as I'd love a custom intro sequence to my PSP, preferably ADA from Zone of the Enders saying good morning to me like my netbook does, only with an animation to go with it this time instead of just an MP3 playing automaticall on startup, I'm thinking I'm gonna give up on this one thanks to a near miss just now. I almost had the damn thing working but something went tits up and instead of playing the intro all I got was an error message and the system shuts down. Thankfully I was able to evade bricking my system by removing the memory card during startup and deleting all the new intro-related files files from my card, but it was a little too close for my liking. If my system bricks, I'm fucked.

Incidentally, been meaning to ask. There's an option in my recovery menu to create a Pandora battery. Is it as simple as clicking that and bam, pandora battery, or is there more to it? IE: cutting the battery open like you had to before? I have a spare battery and a pandora sounds essential for unbricking the system if anything else ever fucks up on my like this. So how do I do it?

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
And what is Time Machine, exactly?

Come to think of it, what is a pandora battery? What difference does it make? Why is it necessary? What are the risks with making one via my Recovery menu?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I have no idea why Jolan suggested Time Machine to you....

A Pandora Battery puts your PSP into Service Mode....that is instead of booting from it's internal flash memory it boots from an inserted Memory Stick instead. This means if you ever inadvertently mess up your flash (i.e your Prometheus firmware goes screwy on you) then you can sidestep it to install a new set of files over the old ones (reflash the firmware). You never know when you might have an issue....

You could use the Recovery Menu option, but i'd personally suggest you utilise a dedicated tool such as OSPBT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...