PS1/2 PSX advice etc

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
about a year and a half ago, my cousin gave me his old modded PSX which works great. i've used it a fair few times, but in the last few months it has been not doing much.

yesterday i had a bit of a play though with a mate, and it occured to me that i hadnt neccessarily utilised it to its fullest

so i did a bit of research on homebrew and apps etc for PS and pretty much what looked like the most useful thing a came across was the NES emulator 'it might be nes".
so currently i'm in the process of building an iso or whatever for it and hopefully that works out fine (any extra advice that may bot be on the homepage would be appreciated though if there is any).

Now a question: Is there much other noteworthy homebrew for PS?

moving on. with all the gear my cousin gave me was a different controller. he said he picked it up in some asian country he visited and he was told you could connect it to your computer or something along those lines. but he never tried anything out with it nor knew how to.

the controller has an extra cable; see pics. i think it resembles a printer cable.
does anyone know anything about it or if it has any use?

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

Thanks for any help/advice guys!

Edit: oh and if anyone can reccomend some good NES games to test the emu with please mention. Or a link to a reccomendation list would be even better!

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Test Contra(its called Probetector here in Australia), Gradius, Super Mario 1 and 3(i never had 2). Do you have a link of this nes emulator. I have an old PSX myself that was never modded and primarily used for playing Metal Gear Solid.

Anyone know where to get cheap chips for PSX that enable homebrew as well as backups?

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
http://imbnes.gamebase.ca/index.html
is the homepage, hasn't been updated since 04-12-05 so i think its abandoned, but i've heard that it has pretty good compatability. they link a compatability list on the homepage but its a dead link now.

btw you need a modded console to use imbn

Soo, no-one else knows of PSX homebrew?

In the meantime i found some progs to rip video and audio from Playstation disks. i ripped tony hawk 3 and that worked a charm, unfortunately i'll have to trim the songs to get rid of the extra audio and i'll probably encode them because the output is wav.

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Edit: oh sorry misread ur post

does anywhere sell second hand PS1 games anymore? i havent played MGS but i know its really popular so i wanna check it out. I found a torrent but it's two disks and i don't really have the bandwidth to spare to DL it.
Alternately would anyone in Melbourne sell or even lend me the game and i can rip it?

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
I just thought you could get a cheaper chip that only played PSX ROMS like the Gamecube(you can get chips that just pay Gamecube games or ones that play both homebrew and games)

EDIT-Its okay

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
No idea sorry man.

But relating to my original topic, is there any other notable homebrew anyway?

And i've gathered up some NES games, just getting more to fill up the disk (no waste) i'll post back any results on compatability or usefulness etc.

Edit1: for reference, when i say PSX i'm talking about the original gray playstation, not that media centre thingo. Is this name acceptable, or should i just call it PS?

Edit2: anyone know a simple free program that will trim/cut a wav file? i can only seem to find free trials on google not fully free software.

Edit3: tested out IMBN and despite a very basic startup interface i played a few games (adventure Island 1 & 2, Blades of steel and ithink it was shatterhand.) and they worked perfect. Havent tested a game which requires saving yet though, but it should apparantly work.
It was just a quick test, now i'll burn a disk with many more games including more popular ones like mario, zelda etc.

Edit4: ok i found some drivers for my ps controller under the name ntpad. installed them fine and the ps-x controller buttons are recognised fine, according to the test i did. Now i just need to find a program compatable with it. maybe a psx emulator will work?

Edit5: used t on pSX emulator and it worked like a charm!

OSW

Wii King
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
edit: i downloaded what was available on the site and extracted it, but i have no clue how to continue on from there with all the included files. If you want me to test it out i need osme help
frown.gif
bear in mind i'm not particularly knowledgable in this kind of activity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1