j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well this is a while ago, but I opened the PC to put a floppy drive with SD card stuff at the front as the floppy drive part never worked so there was no point putting it in the 98SE PC

Anyway the main Windows 7 Computer worked fine when I turned it on got it to install Windows Updates so I could use Paint.NET 4.0

There was a lot of updates that were taking a while that night so I left the PC on overnight while asleep (I've left the PC on overnight before on this PC so didn't expect anything to go wrong)

Anyway when I wake up, the computer is off. Try turning it on nothing

Opened it up, the PSU smelt bad.

I put a spare PSU (only a 500w one) and the lights on the motherboard and graphics card lit up which indicates there is power running through which the other one wasn't doing anymore

I opened up the PSU the next day to get the fan out because it's just a standard PC fan you can just screw and plug it in and while it was opened, found this black burnt area and right in the middle was a fly stuck to the circuits ...
the fly was really burnt and was really imploded looking (if that makes sence)

So how common does an bug fry itself in a PSU?
The PC is about almost a year old so....

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Bug gets into PSU, which is full of high voltages and a big transformer (AC to DC), gets zapped and causes a short in the electrics? I've heard this story a few times before, although I've never actually seen it happen. Bad luck I guess?

At least you can test the other parts with your spare PSU. Sometimes when the PSU blows, it can take a number of parts (motherboard, graphics, etc) with it due to power surge.

Reactions: Celice

Kippykip

j e f f
OP
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Bug gets into PSU, which is full of high voltages and a big transformer (AC to DC), gets zapped and causes a short in the electrics? I've heard this story a few times before, although I've never actually seen it happen. Bad luck I guess?

At least you can test the other parts with your spare PSU. Sometimes when the PSU blows, it can take a number of parts (motherboard, graphics, etc) with it due to power surge.
Thank god It's a Gigabyte "Ultra Durable" with a bunch of surge protectors and crap. There is some expensive parts in there! D:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2