PSP - What's the larger MicroSD supported by Playstation Portable?

Maxximo88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi everyone,
I have a PSP-3004 with Infinity 6.61 permanent CFW.
I use my PSP with MicroSD 16Gb and a Memory Stick Duo adapter, but free space is now really limited and I can't add other contents..
What is the lerger MicroSD supported by Sony PlayStation Portable?

Thank you in advance.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Some adapters allow at most a 32gb microSD. Others accept 2 x 32gb, formatted correctly. With some adapters you can go up to 128gb, but the PSP menu becomes very slow, and corruption of the microSD during saving or during file management (rename, delete, copy and paste etc.) is more likely, and so you would lose the whole content of the microSD, isos and saves.

I recommend, as in my case, 2 or 3 32gb microSD (maybe with the corresponding adapters, which are very cheap) to alternate when needed, and containing different categories of games or emulators: this is just my personal preference, the choice is yours...;)

Maxximo88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Some adapters allow at most a 32gb microSD. Others accept 2 x 32gb, formatted correctly. With some adapters you can go up to 128gb, but the PSP menu becomes very slow, and corruption of the microSD during saving or during file management (rename, delete, copy and paste etc.) is more likely, and so you would lose the whole content of the microSD, isos and saves.

I recommend, as in my case, 2 or 3 32gb microSD (maybe with the corresponding adapters, which are very cheap) to alternate when needed, and containing different categories of games or emulators: this is just my personal preference, the choice is yours...;)
Thanks!
So, 32Gb is the theoretical limit of the PSP!

PSPModz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That information is incorrect. The most common micro SD Pro Duo Single Adapter (China) can handle a maximum of 128GB. If you find slight lag, you can speed up the card in 2 ways. One by speeding up memory card in CFW Recovery Settings, and secondly by using Category folders in your ISO and Game Folders, and enabling the Category Lite Plugin.

Reactions: cearp

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That information is incorrect. The most common micro SD Pro Duo Single Adapter (China) can handle a maximum of 128GB
Most common? Where, perhaps on your personal planet? As I said some claim you can use that microSD, with the risks I listed. But that it is the most common, is a blatant lie. Just look on Amazon or eBay (on planet Earth, not yours).🤣

PSPModz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Most common? Where, perhaps on your personal planet? As I said some claim you can use that microSD, with the risks I listed. But that it is the most common, is a blatant lie. Just look on Amazon or eBay (on planet Earth, not yours).🤣
I'm not here to argue, I'm talking about the most common single adapter you can buy. Whether your source is eBay, Amazon, etc. 90% of adapters available are this type. 128gb is the limit, thoroughly tested by myself and 17,000 members in a group that I help moderate. The information I have given is fact, and is non biased, nor is my opinion relevant, as is yours, which is disrespectful and non helpful. If you persist, you will be reported.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The information I have given is fact, and is non biased, nor is my opinion relevant, as is yours, which is disrespectful and non helpful. If you persist, you will be reported.
Before you can claim that a piece of information is fact, you have to prove it with objective evidence.
I have never claimed that my opinion is relevant. I have not offended anyone but only made a joke about planet earth. Let's hear it: for what reason would you want to report me since we are simply discussing the topic of the thread? As for me, with my usual pinch of irony and provocative spirit: nothing to be outraged about. 😉

EDIT: As for MS adapters, I just checked and on (italian) Amazon and eBay most are 32GB. Could it be that in other countries it's different? 🤔

PSP_Cult

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Before you can claim that a piece of information is fact, you have to prove it with objective evidence.
I have never claimed that my opinion is relevant. I have not offended anyone but only made a joke about planet earth. Let's hear it: for what reason would you want to report me since we are simply discussing the topic of the thread? As for me, with my usual pinch of irony and provocative spirit: nothing to be outraged about. 😉
Okay, just joined after PSPModz showed me this thread and I felt the need to also debunk what seems to me to be false information - at least in my experience and of every other person I've dealt with that has used a 128gb card in their PSP. I have used a number of these adaptors - on my 1k, on my 3k, on my Street and on my Go (yes my Go - via the internal mod) - I have never come across a single black adaptor which *couldn't* do 128gb. 128gb works straight up too, no need for CFW. This is my experience, and lines up with the experiences of many others I've helped with or that have posted on the FB group that I help moderate.

Reactions: cearp and PSPModz

PSPModz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

EDIT: As for MS adapters, I just checked and on (italian) Amazon and eBay most are 32GB. Could it be that in other countries it's different? 🤔
If you insert a cheap SD Pro duo adapter in a PSP with cfw running, with the capacity of 128gb, and under system settings, format the card, and the PSP says successfully formatted, the proof is in the result. I have not had one 128gb card fail on me, and I have formatted over 15x128gb SD cards. Anyway, I'm sure this thread doesn't need us discussing unecessary opinions, just because you disagree with results that come from experience of actually formatting and using 128gb, without any corruptions whatsoever. Corrupt files normally come from either incorrect procedures, or shady sources. No offence.

Reactions: PSP_Cult

PSP_Cult

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you insert a cheap SD Pro duo adapter in a PSP with cfw running, with the capacity of 128gb, and under system settings, format the card, and the PSP say successfully formatted, the proof is in the result. I have not had one 128gb card fail on me, and I have formatted over 15x128gb as cards. Anyway, I'm sure this thread doesn't need us discussing unecessary opinions, just because you disagree with results that come from experience of actually formatting and using 128gb, without any corruptions whatsoever. Corrupt files normally come from either incorrect procedures, or shady sources. No offence.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that. I've never had a card corrupt. And re them being slow? No. The only "slow" part is populating the xmb with your games, this is aided with using categories lite plugin (which I'd recommend anyway), but regardless, you're looking at a total of 15 seconds from completely off to fully populated xmb. No slow down etc in games etc at all

Reactions: PSPModz

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what the limit is with duo adapters, but I've heard the theoretical limit with the psp itself is 2TB.

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
it depends on the adapter but most of them nowadays support sdxc

i would say 128gb is around the limit (personally) of what i consider a max-ish since sometimes the menu wont load with alot of games and it starts to get some loading issues sometimes with the xmb but once its loaded and playing ive had no issues with it or corruptions or anything

PSPModz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Proof

Attachments

• 16439634605044737122359936232044.jpg
    16439634605044737122359936232044.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 237
Reactions: PSP_Cult

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it depends on the adapter but most of them nowadays support sdxc

i would say 128gb is around the limit (personally) of what i consider a max-ish since sometimes the menu wont load with alot of games and it starts to get some loading issues sometimes with the xmb but once its loaded and playing ive had no issues with it or corruptions or anything
You might be able to fix it with the vsh menu and cpu speed. There's a separate option for the xmb itself.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This thread has unexpectedly come back to life and color. Everyone pushing and yanking to assert themselves and have the last word. From having said my opinion and talked about my experience a ruckus broke out: and some bigwigs even bothered to register here. I have brought yet another contribution and publicity to this site: guys, take it into account! 😣 😂 🤣

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.