Hacking PSP vs PS Vita in terms of emulation only?

Shakedaddy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wanting to buy either a PSP or PS Vita and use it for only playing SNES/ PS1 games as well PSP games. Vita games are a low priority for me.

If Im only going to use it to play PSP SNES/PS1 games, which would should I buy? It seems like the PS Vita has a lot better screen which would make PSP/SNES/PS1 games look better, but it the emulation is not as good or as not as far along, then maybe I should just buy a PSP?

*I read the FAQ and have done a lot of searching, but I am still not sure on the answer to the question. Im sorry if this question has been asked many times before or if the answer is easily findable and I somehow missed it."

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Technically the PSVita has the edge. From what I've read, its PSP Mode runs slightly faster than an actual PSP, so emulators should have more horsepower to work with, but I can't confirm that as my PSVita no longer has exploitable games installed. PSP Mode eCFW on the PSVita is a hassle and I found it more beneficial to keep the system up-to-date. If you're looking strictly for an emulation machine, there are far better choices out there these days.

Shakedaddy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for your fast reply. I'm sure there are better choices in terms of pure emulation, but in terms of purely PSP vs PS Vita, what would you recommend? *including playing PSP games"

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would recommend the PSP because it's more cost-effective and less of a hassle, but dual analog controls do help in some games. The PSVita's screen is great too, but PSP Mode is upscaled and that can be spotty at times. Both have pro's and con's here.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend an Android machine for portable emulation needs. I got a JXD S7800b and it's fantastic, but be warned while I got lucky and my unit was pristine from the factory I have seen a lot of posts of defective chargers, screens leaking light (screws too tight at the factory) and some other problems. Not sure if that's the vocal minority and most of them are just fine or if most people just send them back and exchange them?

I would recommend a different Android based game machine unless your a gambler like I am lol

Quality wise Shield is one of the best and have I never seen any complaints about them. (I didn't go with it because of the 5 inch screen and I am getting older so larger screen is easier on my old eyes.)

But if your set on a choice, yeah PSP is the way to go between the two, no contest.

Reactions: Ergo

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
from all i've heard, the vita is, for now, not better than the psp when it comes to homebrew and emulation. its more complicated to exploit, needing save exploits, with the games needed being pulled from psn real quick and some homebrew is incompatible or something. once it gets better exploits and hopefully, vita homebrew, it will easily outclass the old psp though.

i'm using a psp go mainly for emulation where it excels quite a bit. controls are just excellent (microswitches and perfect dpad) once you get used to the L/R buttons pressure points. and the screen is incredible, its crisp, bright, on the spot, though a bit on the small side, you get use to it quickly.

it slightly excels less at psp games though. while it easily plays them all (minus games that need the camera), games with complex controls (analog stick to move, dpad to chose actions/inventory, l+r buttons and button combinations) can get very uncomfortable after a while. i found mgs:Portable ops to be unplayable comfortable (note though, that I wasn't very good on a normal psp in that game to begin with)
you can still get used to it, but you'll probably play games like kingdom hearts or final fantasy type zero in smaller burst than you would on the other psps.
so yeah, if the big title psp games (that usually come with complex controls) are important to you, you'll probably want a 3000 for the more comfortable controls if you mainly want emulation, the go is, in my eyes at least, the better psp.

know though, that some snes games dont work right on a psp. its mainly games that had special chips to run faster, such as the kirby games or yoshis island i think. theres just no way to emulate those with the psps limited cpu.

Binebina87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have an exploited Vita, which allows me to play PSP Games and Emulators. But it truly is kind of a hassle.
If you want to play PSP games with the Vita you have to stay on a lower Firmware (3.01). With that you can't access the PSN. Furthermore you have to buy an exploitable game from the PSN (e.g. Numblast). To move that game to your Vita (with lower Firmware) you have to have a PS3 (or use a friend's one).
Also the Sound-Emulation of PSX games is not that good on the Vita.

I would either recommend you to get a PSP or to buy an Android Gamingtablet (like the JXD S7800 or the Archos Gamepad 2)

Shakedaddy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your replies. So far it seems like PSP is a better choice than Vita for PSP/emulation since I am not interested in Vita games at the moment.
If anyone has any more opinions, please feel free to post - all very interesting comments!

== Also thank you for the advice to get the Android devices, etc. but right now I am deadset on getting PSP or PS Vita ===

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your replies. So far it seems like PSP is a better choice than Vita for PSP/emulation since I am not interested in Vita games at the moment.
If anyone has any more opinions, please feel free to post - all very interesting comments!

== Also thank you for the advice to get the Android devices, etc. but right now I am deadset on getting PSP or PS Vita ===
I don't know if this matters to you or not but with psp you can also connect it to a TV if its a 2000 model on up so you can play on a big screen.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
and with psp go, you can also use a dualshock 3 when it is connected to the TV, making it a true home console.

for PROs and CONs for Vita:

PROs

-Right analog stick can be mapped to d-pad, face buttons, L-R triggers making some games play much better (i am looking at you monster hunter).
-Large OLED screen which easily beats any PSP screen out there. plus you can also watch youtube and your videos to enjoy the screen. Anime looks great.
-Longer battery life than a PSP.
-Left analog is a real analog stick not a nub like PSP.

CONs

-It is hard to have a kernel exploit on Vita, though once you find the right game, just avoid any future update and you are good to go. PSP is very easy to hack.
-PSX games have sound problems as Vita lacks media engine cpu emulation on PSP mode.
-No TV out, no Dualshock 3 pairing (DS3 pairing is only for PSP Go)
-Vita memory cards are more expensive than PSP memory sticks.
-No easy USB drag-and-drop file transfer. you either have to use FTP, or do some zipping and transfer them via Content Manager.

To have the best of two worlds, i have a kernel exploited Vita and a psp go, i am satisfied with both.

Also no PSP emulators work better on Vita, although there are some which works worse. i didn't write it as a con for vita, as most emulators work literally same on Vita and PSP.

Shakedaddy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the feedback and especially for the list of pros and cons!
If anyone else would like to write a list of pros and cons, please feel free.
This thread is really informative for me and I hope it will help inform other users too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro