Hacking PSP vs NDS

HellShade

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not going to outright say that the PSP sucks. Frankly, the DS is definitely better, but even though I own a DS, I CRAVE a PSP for the exclusives.

However, for the tasteful gamer, the DS is definitely better.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, the fact that the PSP is Sony is reason enough for me not to get it.

Other reasons include, pathetically short battery life, a disk drive in a hand held, which I feel is more like a "break me please" type of thing, not to mention being slow as dirt when loading games. There is a lack of many really good games and it's over-priced.

In fact the ONLY reason I could see bothering with a PSP is for emulation....and Sony constantly tries to stop that in their firmware updates, which is just stupid.

Besides, I already have a DS and don't need another hand held.

NiGHtS

Trophies
XP
Country
Owned both. Sold PSP yesterday. I thought it was pretty terrible, like Rayder said the only reason I got it was for it's emulation and even that got boring quickly. The PSP games are pretty shite overall apart from a few gems like Tekken and Ratchet & Clank.

Siro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I own both the handhelds and my personal preference will always be the DS because of the overall game library that it possesses and are so fun to play.See taking the Phoenix Wright series into perception there is not a single game like that on the PSP that is what the DS is about : INNOVATION
biggrin.gif

halljames

Trophies
Website
www.hallstudios.co.uk
XP
Country
I owned both, and ultimately sold the PSP because Lego Star Wars is one of my favourite games, and although lego star wars on the PSP was almost identical to the Home console versions, the new one on the DS loads much quicker, more fun to play and is a bit more imediate and ideal for portable games than the psp.

Plus, there are a great many PSP games that look amazing, but are farily boring to play.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Currently own a fat PSP and getting a DS Lite (had a few before, but I end up selling them pretty fast for some reason) again.

PSP doesn't really get much attention; focus is more on single player and selection of good games is small (though Syphon Filter + Metal Gear are good)

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Currently own a fat PSP and getting a DS Lite (had a few before, but I end up selling them pretty fast for some reason) again.

PSP doesn't really get much attention; focus is more on single player and selection of good games is small (though Syphon Filter + Metal Gear are good)

Same thing here. My DSL sees alot more usage. My PSP is used for emulation and the DS is used for gaming

YukiChan456

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Other reasons include, pathetically short battery life, a disk drive in a hand held, which I feel is more like a "break me please" type of thing, not to mention being slow as dirt when loading games. There is a lack of many really good games and it's over-priced.

In fact the ONLY reason I could see bothering with a PSP is for emulation....and Sony constantly tries to stop that in their firmware updates, which is just stupid.

As rayder said! Sony will buy the creators of the best emulators and integrate them in their company! I like my DSLite, cause graphic power is not all!
lecture.gif

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Other reasons include, pathetically short battery life, a disk drive in a hand held, which I feel is more like a "break me please" type of thing, not to mention being slow as dirt when loading games.  There is a lack of many really good games and it's over-priced.

1. Battery life w/ wifi disabled and lowest brightness running from memstick is a bit longer than that of a DS (Not dsl tho)
2. Disk drive is unused if you pirate. If u use it tho... 1.8 gigs of goodness, ala The Warriors. Plus it really doesn't feel like it'll break its actually stable unless you play football with it in your pocket or somethin.
3. Opinion. I could list a hundred games on th PSP that I think are amazing that the DS couldn't do.
4. It is 40 bucks more than the DSL. Not that expensive for an mp3 player/ movie player/ game system.
5. Good point, but Dark Alex/M33 usually releases an update within a week of the official ones, so no need to worry.

This is my take on it. And whatever you may say, Disgaea + FFT (emulated) >>> all IMO.

SugaDaddy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not enjoy the best of both worlds??? I own a ds lite and i love it. best money i ever spent.in a couple of days i will own a psp slim. i will probably love it in its own way
yaynds.gif
yaypsp.gif

Sugiarto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If you just want best graphics buy a pc with the latest technology or ps3 or another 7th generation console.I prefer DS cause i want the best gameplay and for fun not the best graphics.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The good thing about the new PSP Lite is that you can use it with

bdb920f45d9e1102e2b005d1dbeeb99c.jpg

VR glasses.
cool.gif

happy.gif

Having both consoles would be nice, but it costs too many moneyz. A good compromise would be to get a used PSP with a broken UMD reader. That would be your excuse to drop the price to half the store price (or even one-third if you haggle well and nag a lot). You're never going to use the bloody thing anyway.
happy.gif

The problem about this approach is that Sony, having had 20 years of experience with Minidisc Walkmen, know how to keep the spinny little buggers safe and clamped inside as much steel as their customers can carry, so wrecking a UMD reader would require stuffing it with sandpaper and rocks and shaking vigorously for a few hours: not exactly something that could happen by accident.
nyanya.gif

The PSP is not a bad console, and it has some great games. My beef with the PSP, though, is the "media playing capability". Sure, the movies look great, but an average-sized memory stick holds up to a staggering two movies. Sure, you could convert them to a lower quality, but what's the point of having a huge shiny screen (and excellent audio output) if you're going to have movies in Youtube quality? Would it have killed them to add a few gigs of flash? With some clever modding and some clever duct-tape you can add a whole HDD to your PSP, but that's just overkill. At that point you're better off getting a HDD video player.

Don't get me wrong, being able to play the odd video clip here and there is a welcome feature, it's always nice to have extra features, but pointing it out as a major selling point is ridiculous. When comparing game consoles, stick to the games, please.

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DS > PSP.

I first bought a PSP, and didn't even know about downgrading and custom firmware and all that. Even now, it's still stock. Plus the multiplayer is kinda weird, not many games.

After I bought my DS, I ditched my PSP. I use it to watch some videos now and then, MP4s, but DPG quality still pwns it. DS is just better, and has good multiplayer games, which is one of the main reasons why I game.

DS FTW, PSP kinda FTW.
biggrin.gif

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd argue this conflict by using a consumers point of view.
- A lot of people have DSes.
-- This can be argued, but its pretty much supported by the sales numbers
- The games on it look "family friendly"
-- There are "Brain training" games, this always looks good to parents.
- It ain't the color "black," kinda find the color black tends to signal "this is a very complicated piece of electronics"
- The price is a looooooooot lower than the PSP.

I don't think average joe parents care about the specs, which one can push more polygons, that stuff is left for the "hardcore" gamers that know why polygon pushing power is important, why an analog nub is important, etc etc. Parents want to make their kids happy, so the DS, being marketed towards kids is a total given that it'll sell like candy. Now those games that are all "training" type, that sells to a certain percentage of adults, which just adds on more to the total market Nintendo already has with the DS. The PSP in this field fails to a degree. Adults don't really have the time to sit and play games, they usually want something thats to the point, and will benefit them. Early adults (like 20s - 30s) usually are too preoccupied with the opposite sex, college, and getting a decent job to get money, so a lot of this market is too hard to crack. Nintendo had the right idea going for the kids, and the financially stable adults, they have time to play, where the PSP is hoping to appeal to the technical savy middle age peoples, which doesn't work because theyre too busy with life. If the PSP were to turn into a phone, or a PMP that can rival the iPod, then I'd say that thing would totally kill the DS, because almost all ages always want a PMP, and everyone has a cell phone. Just my point of view.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay