PSP vs NDS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 1c3d3m0n, Nov 11, 2007.

Nov 11, 2007

PSP vs NDS by 1c3d3m0n at 2:04 PM (3,024 Views / 0 Likes) 35 replies

1. 1c3d3m0n
    OP

Newcomer 1c3d3m0n Advanced Member

Singapore
    I'm pretty sure that many of you, or in fact, all of you must have had seen the battle between PSP and NDS , with each side saying how good each device are. Recently my friend wants to buy a PSP and and thinks that my NDS is kiddy and stuff. I can't be bothered to argue with him and besides, I do not know what to say to let him know that NDS is not just about Pokemon and other "immature" stuff.

Therefore, I would like to ask how would you guys argue for NDS? There is no need to say how good it is compared to the other since each device is unique in its own way, but rather, what are some good points about NDS (both hardware and softwares) to talk about?

2. ackers

Member ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    two words: better games

3. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    MORE games.
    I have both a PSP and a DS, but I would have NEVER, EVER bought a PSP if it wasn't for the fact that it can pirate games out of the box.
    The UMD format is a proprietary piece of shit, , and frankly, while there are GOOD games and GREAT games on the PSP (katamari, loco roco, metal gear come to mind), with the DS, I cannot keep up with the releases. I still haven't started phoenix wright 3 and I need to finish zelda, for fuck's sake!

If your buddy wants to get bored fast, tell him to get a PSP. Let him think he's cool stuff. Alone.

4. 1c3d3m0n
    OP

Singapore
    Hmm, actually, its not "he", its more like "them". In Singapore, there's HELL lot of people owning a PSP. Its not uncommon to see at least 1 PSP in a public area or transport. Recently in a train, practically everyone is playing with their PSP, even a boy whom I think is only 5, its like OMG.

5. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    Don't even attempt to talk your friend out of it. Generally the kind of people that end up wanting to purchase a PSP (for reasons other than putting it on a custom firmware) for it's "Mature games" and Graphics and get it over the DS because of that, they are pretty slow in the head. Attempting to talk said person out of it will be difficult because of that. You see, any intelligent person could look at the DS and see all the things it has over the PSP, and you'll see all of that listed in this thread by other people.

Anyways, that's my opinion and feel free to ignore it completely, and no offense to your friend or anything, but this has been my conclusion based on dealing with those kinds of people. Anyways...

6. HBK

Member HBK Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)

Portugal
    Same as in Portugal. Not to mention the commercial advertise the PSP Slim now. Sucky.

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    True dat. At the moment there's a thread in a local gaming forum on the same topic: what shall I get, DS or PSP. As was probably to be expected (but surprised me nonetheless) was that DS owners all gave objective reviews of the DS, valid comparisons between the two consoles, and strongly recommended the OP check the release list for both consoles and see which games attract him more, because, after all, games are what makes a console.

That from DS owners.

PSP owners, without fail, all contributed with "PSP rulez", "get PSP cuz it rulez", "PSP iz best", "DS is gay lol", and more along these lines.

People who have both consoles, of course, recommended getting both, so as not to miss out on any console exclusives. But that approach is sort of heavy on the wallet [​IMG]

8. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    Don't even start it.. It's gonna be the longest thread ever..

9. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    if anyone doesnt want there psp i will take it :-)

10. CJL18

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    hmmm they have there pro's and cons

PSP Pro's
    1. i doesnt cost a thing to play backups
    2. better Graphics
    3. it's more powerful than teh DS
    4. the screen is bigger
    5. has some good games

PSP Con's
    1. the battery life is to short
    2. Not very duriable system
    3. you have to have a wirelss connection to play online
    4. loading times
    5. the controls are a little iffy

DS Pro's
    1. has a bigger liburary of games
    2. much longer battery life
    3. you can fit it in your pocket wihtout worrying about scratching up the screen
    4. Very duriable
    5.Touch SCreen

Ds Pro's
    1. Graphics are nothing compared to PSP
    2. you have to pay to play backups
    3. alot of lag online
    4. no good sports games
    5. hard to see the screen when playing in a bright area

each system has it's up's and downs but if i had to choose which one i like more... would have to pick the DS!!

11. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    It depends on what "kind" of gamer you are.
    Do you like old-fashioned gaming? Or do you like regular, joystick and button type of games?

Are you more about the pretty graphics of a game? Or could you care less, as long as the gameplay is fun?

There's not a definant winner and these topics usually end up in a flame war because someone says "PSPs suck", "No they don't, PSPs are awesome. You're gay"...or something like that.

I for one, like the Nintendo DS.
    I like the ability to use the touchscreen, I like the games - since a lot of them that I play are 1st party Nintendo games and are very fun, creative, and take control of the NDS's touchscreen, I like to two screens - it's never been done before (Game & Watch doesn't count!).

Cosmetically, I'll have to go with the DS Lite...DS Phat lose against the PSP, But DS Lite vs. PSP Slim - it'll be the DS Lite.
    The clamshell design, the glossy effect of the plastic [​IMG]

But, graphics-wise, PSP is definately better.
    Take a look at one of the DS Screens and the PSP screens - it's obvious.

I hope this topic sure doesn't get out of hand. like many I've seen...

12. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    psp = God of war

/end thread ! lol

13. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    DS wins, although I really want a PSP somewhere in the future

14. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I ADORE both of them, and that's the reason I'm pretty much a strictly handheld gamer now, I love their portability, games, connectivity, everything. WIth a home console you have to stop and leave your fun at home, but with handhelds you can take 'em anywhere. I can't really tell you a winner, but I can tell you right now that the DS has an OBSCENE amount of good games. This fall/winter, the releases just pour in. PSP, not so much. I have a backlog of good games to go through though thankfully, since I just got mine.

15. Rulza

Member Rulza GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Love both, but i enjoy playing DS more actually. [​IMG]

16. skarthebloodchild

Member skarthebloodchild Keep It Old School

Greece
    own both.
    different philosophy.
    get what games suit you most.
    i like both consoles.

17. 1c3d3m0n
    OP

Singapore
    Hmm, true, both consoles have their pros and cons. Besides, just want to tell my friend that NDS isn't just all about Pokemon and Mario. not to convince him that NDS is better than PSP. I'm glad that for most of the post, the views are objective and not saying things like "NDS pwnz0rs" or "NDS ownz PSP"

Personally, I don't mind getting a PSP, but I can't convince myself to get one, mainly because my NDS can already be my portable multimedia machine, so a PSP isn't that necessary, and besides, iI can't find any games that I like in PSP. Maybe the only game I would like to play would be Bleach: Heat the Soul series and Ace Combat.

18. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Both consoles are pretty awesome. PSP finally has a decent range of good games, really good homebrew and emulation.

DS has lots of good games that you can play quickly...good portable, long battery life. Lots of crappy games also. Some of the homebrew is really cool [​IMG]

19. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    NDS pwnz0rs

20. calvin_0

Member calvin_0 GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    well normally in this kind of thread, i skip all those fanboys opinion....

fanboys need to die....

anyway

its depend on what kind of gamer are you....

to me, DS dont have much game because the nature of DS game is either Kiddy or Puzzle and mostly Mario which is a fanboy games....there is only a very limited mature game around....i end up being regrating for getting DS (thanks to Pokemon). Everyone is saying DS is more innovative with the touch screen and Mic which added human interaction to the game, and i really found those so call "Innovation" as useless function....1st of all the "Touch Screen" alone have kill the purpose of Protable gaming its very very troblesome to pull out the stylus which travelling, but luckly most of the game that i play have "Joypad" function instead of "Touch Screen" and the "Mic" seriously....how many of you will yell at your DS while travelling...especially in a public transport....so whats the point of having those function if you cant ultilize it? and for DS have more homebrew software, i have to agree, but how many of them are really usefull? so far i only use "savsender.nds", i fail to see the point of turning your DS into an organizer or MP3 player....DS is a gaming system, the only reason to get a DS is for the games, if you want an organizer, get a PDA, if you want a MP3 player get a MP3 Player, those are the proper devices which design to do this job will perform much better then brewing them in DS....

I will not said PSP is better then DS as PSP is not perfect (IMO PSP is way too over size for a portable gaming), but i have to said that I perfer PSP over DS....

and i'm getting a PSP soon.