Psp just got damaged.

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by gettogaara, Aug 22, 2010.

Aug 22, 2010

Psp just got damaged. by gettogaara at 4:22 AM (1,942 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. gettogaara
    OP

Member gettogaara GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well ok first I think I should start with what happened. I was at my cousins house n i had set my psp down to play dragon quest with my cousin for a while. I did'nt notice my younger cousin had put a sprite can directly next to my psp and when i was about to play my psp I see the sprite can which at this point had spilled all over the table and my psp. I cleaned it dried it which got the stickiness off of the power button. Anyway theres now a small but noticable water spot on the inside of my screen which shows up heavily on bright colors. At first it was'nt a big deal but when i got home I'm not sure how but im pretty sure it had to do with the sprite my memory card stopped working and all of the data for every single game i ever played had been deleted! I'm not positive but I think the memory card reader might also be damaged but when I put in the memory card it tells me that the user capacity is 0 and the free space is 0. There is also a bunch of random undeleteable folders in my video section. Please someone I need help where do I go from here? If your not clear on something please let me know.

2. RyuKisargi

Member RyuKisargi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If it's not modded, send it in for repairs, otherwise the best thing you can do is...

I dunoo, I guess use a blowdryer on it.

3. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    Well I tried to dry it out by leaving it upside down for 2 days. It is'nt modded and I asked a guy in gamespot and he said for the screen it would cost $90 to fix. I don't have enough money for that alone and if the memory card reader is damaged then I'll really have a problem.

4. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    jeez, for $90 you could damn near buy another one.

i'd take it apart and look for sticky goo, while i dont have pix, im guessing the discolored spot on the screen could just be sprite between the lcd and the housing screen cover thing.

i would wipe the sticky spots with alcohol on a qtip or something. cant really do that inside the card reader, but iirc they sell them at dealextreme for pretty cheap.

what version psp is this? i guess thats the first question to be asked..

5. RyuKisargi

Member RyuKisargi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I agree, if it's that much, buy a new one, paying $90'll mean it might crap out again.

Well, $120 for a used slim at least.

6. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    $90 to fix just the screen is a rip off. It costs all of $40-$45 for a replacement 2000 screen and maybe five or six screws that will need to be removed. For some reason, 3000 screens are even cheaper. So they're asking for about a 125% markup for the labor of just opening it, because the screen is the easiest component to replace.

You could even be lucky that the spot could be between the screen and plastic cover, but I would have taken it apart on day one to be certain.

The card reader can also be replaced but takes a bit more effort.

7. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    After hearing all of this I guess it really all depends on a few things. Can I do it myself even though I have near no experience? Is the spot removable without getting a new screen? Does the card reader need to be replaced?

8. issy12

Member issy12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    well tbh there are a lot of video tutorials on youtube etc, on removing a screen but i'm too sure about the card reader. I suggest you remove the faceplate and look for any sticky gooey bits and clean those up. You may not have to replace anything but you'll have to just see if a clean up does fix it. Good Luck!

9. Gagarin

Member Gagarin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    First of all check memory card in pc if you still have data on it.
    I have one phat pap for parts, but not sure if reader is the same.

10. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  11. gettogaara
    OP

United States
    Hey everyone thanks for all the info sorry I have'nt been able to respond until now my internet keeps going on and off(Damn you time warner lol) and It just started working now.
    I found a pretty good video that shows how to do it on youtube and this is what I'm gona start with. As for the card reader I lost my usb cable so once I find that I'll know if the memory card is totally damaged and needs to be replaced or not.