Gaming PSP Go or PSP 3000

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I know the scene lately has been buzzing about all the ps3 hacking goodness, but when that started and I read they recovered the keys for the PSP as well.. does that mean the PSP Go and PSP 3000 are easily modifiable now? If so which would be more beneficial to me? A"Go" or 3000, I like the go for it it's portability and I won't mind not having a UMD slot (never used it anyway) I like that there's 16GB of storage readily available (those mem cards are expensive) and finally what intrigued me the most was the Bluetooth functionality to pair a PS3 controller and play it docked to my TV. But the 3000 has it's benefits too. Exchangeable battery, bigger screen.. etc. Which of these would be better for my purposes, such as playing backups, PS1, maybe some gba on an emulator?

cotyboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Go for the Go
nyanya.gif

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Son of Science said:
Both of them are equally hacked at the moment. It's only based on personal preferences. I would go with the 3k because of better button positioning.
I feel the same about that, but what really bothered me was the size of the psp. It never really fit too well in the pockets.. anyway equally hacked meaning? CFW or HEN?

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Son of Science said:
HEN at the moment.
Awh, that kinda sucks..
closedeyes.gif
Well I suppose it's better than nothing. Are there things like ISO loaders and POPs loader for PS1 support? I hope that there will progression in this area since the discovery of the keys.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
ISO yes, POPS no.

There's an FAQ with a ton of info for you stickied here...

EDIT: The current hacks actually have nothing to do with the keys. The keys are more recent (the hacks were over the christmas period), and nothing's really been openly done with them yet for the 3000/Go.
Thank you for that. Kinda disappointed in not having POPS. But maybe that will change if someone tries a hack with the keys. I'm most likely going for the Go (no pun intended) I was thinking that I may not like it since there's no option to install the camera and no UMD and stuff, but realistically I'd never use either of those.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its pretty much up to you i guess. The GO has its upsides, (Namely being cheap, like as low as 100 bucks as some places), plus the built in 16 gigs of space and the ability to buy those M2 Memory Cards to increase it further. Though, some people i know hate the screen size/controls. (I dont notice much of a difference personally, i play it way more than my 2000 and i can even play Monster Hunter just fine control-wise)

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
sjones900 said:
Kinda disappointed in not having POPS. But maybe that will change if someone tries a hack with the keys.These current hacks are unrelated to the keys.

I suggest you read this, it explains a lot.
http://gbatemp.net/t272700-ps3-psp-private-keys-released

QUOTE(Jolan @ Jan 14 2011, 09:28 PM) There's a PSX loader, IIRC.
All I've heard is "there will be one", and "I think maybe one of them might be able to load official PSN titles IIRC".

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
sjones900 said:
Kinda disappointed in not having POPS. But maybe that will change if someone tries a hack with the keys.These current hacks are unrelated to the keys.

I suggest you read this, it explains a lot.
http://gbatemp.net/t272700-ps3-psp-private-keys-released

QUOTE(Jolan @ Jan 14 2011, 09:28 PM) There's a PSX loader, IIRC.
All I've heard is "there will be one", and "I think maybe one of them might be able to load official PSN titles IIRC".
Yeah, that explains allot. Idk I don't really want to base my purchase off of maybes, so I might just get a 2000 that I know for a fact that can be modded. There are a couple of other things I've considered such as the go having memory already and me having to purchase a mem stick. I suppose whatever is cheapest. I'm buying used from a local games shop that sells the things pretty cheap.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get the 3000. Better position of buttons, and feels more sturdy, also, I think it's cheaper than a Go isn't it?

Also, I don't know why people complain about the size of the PSP 3000. I'm looking right at it and the DS lite, it's what, an inch, inch and a half longer?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The hacks for the 3000 and Go (and later 2000) are temporary, when you shut off the PSP or it loses power (sleep mode is okay) you need to rehack it again before it'll do any of the hacked stuff when you turn it on.

The earlier 2000 models are fully hackable, once CFW is installed it's there to stay (unless you purposely flash/update it).

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
on 6.35 there are 2 psx loader options.
an old 1.50fw PSX iso loader from before sony's official pops emulator works through a loader homebrew called eloader, it runs unconverted psx iso files but has a lot of slowdowns and glitches
and there's shared psn-psx games, PSX games downloaded from PSN by someone else that have a keys.bin file so 6.35 pro can decrypt them.(keys.bin file is generated by certain custom firmwares, including 6.35 pro)

and i definitely prefer the PSPgo over any older model.
buttons are more clicky(much better for music games than those rubbery big buttons on older psp's), the analog nub can be used with your right hand as well, bluetooth(wireless headset and PS3 controller support, and with motioninjoy it works even without a ps3 to pair the controller), the size is about the same as a psp2/3k without the button area.
only slight discomfort i had when holding a pspgo is the little wrist-strap ring, but with a cheap gaming-grip from dealextreme for home use it's almost as comfortable as a PS3 controller(except without the full size analog stick)

oh, and don't forget the pause-game feature.
looking up a faq/walkthrough in the middle of a game, or play a different game in the middle of a level from some heavy action game to cool down a little.
and the PSPgo has a "rescue" system that attempts to save your game(through the pause system) before your battery runs out(not 100%, but can still save you sometimes)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: