Gaming Homebrew Does CFW or ISO loading break Smackdown Vs RAW 2006's PS2 connectivity?

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had the PSP version of the game when it was new, and played the hell out of it. Recently I've been marking out for old-school Yukes wrestling games and picked up the PS2 version to go along with it. In that time, I had my PSP-1000 all but break down on me (not beyond repair and it still turns on, but making it usable is beyond my ability to repair and not worth my time or money right now) and grabbed a PSP Go instead, because it's lightweight, has a nice battery life and supports a PS3 controller.

Then I realised that the data transfer doesn't work. Yaaaay. So I restart my PS2 without FreeMCBoot and with the other USB port empty. Nope. I go back and disable all my plugins on my PSP. Still not working. So to rule out the possibility of a bad cable or connection, I access my em0 by using wLaunchElf. That works without a single hitch. All this happened a while ago, so I sat on the problem and mulled it over for a while. Now I've come back to it after updating my CFW, and I'm running ARK 4.19.12 installed via Infinity, which is the latest version as of today. For the record, the sync happens in-game on both sides: it's more likely to be a client-server connection than a master-slave one. Maybe that happening over USB has something to do with it? My PSP experience is spotty compared to other systems, so I wouldn't know. Has anyone else had this problem? (My games are the European versions if that matters)

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played SvR '06 to death back then, character models still look decent, but the stiff movement is outdated, it was serviceable back then ('cause i'm spoiled with the gameplay of SvR'10 and onwards).. I remember some wrestlers were locked behind the PS2 to PSP functionality thing (iirc), and there was no other way to get them, & i didn't have one (PSP) back then..

N7Kopper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Played SvR '06 to death back then, character models still look decent, but the stiff movement is outdated, it was serviceable back then ('cause i'm spoiled with the gameplay of SvR'10 and onwards).. I remember some wrestlers were locked behind the PS2 to PSP functionality thing (iirc), and there was no other way to get them, & i didn't have one (PSP) back then..
It's not really the unlockables I'm after: I have a save with everyone unlocked. Literally everyone, including the Hebners and several buggy dummied out and placeholder characters. I just want to be able to use a core feature of the games and do things like synchronise my CAWs.

N7Kopper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried using the PBP format instead of ISO/CSO? Or maybe viceversa.
I'll try that and get back to you. I tried ISO, CSO, and CSO2 so far.

EDIT: While it was good thinking to use NP9660 over Inferno 2, Sony's official loader crashes after the copyright blurbs, just before the FMV intro plays - unless something went wrong with the conversion, but given that it manages to load my save and get that far... So it's probably true that Inferno 2 doesn't handle the USB connection well, that's a moot point given how poorly NP9660 handles the game. I updated ARK too as well as making sure to disable any settings and plugins that might hurt compatibility.

At least I know what's going on now, and I've learned some more about the PSP scene and all that. Anything I could do to help debug this? (not via USB, obviously. :P)

Last edited by N7Kopper,

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'll try that and get back to you. I tried ISO, CSO, and CSO2 so far.

EDIT: While it was good thinking to use NP9660 over Inferno 2, Sony's official loader crashes after the copyright blurbs, just before the FMV intro plays - unless something went wrong with the conversion, but given that it manages to load my save and get that far... So it's probably true that Inferno 2 doesn't handle the USB connection well, that's a moot point given how poorly NP9660 handles the game. I updated ARK too as well as making sure to disable any settings and plugins that might hurt compatibility.

At least I know what's going on now, and I've learned some more about the PSP scene and all that. Anything I could do to help debug this? (not via USB, obviously. :P)
I have no idea why USB would be broken by the ISO driver. I will certaintly try this myself.

Reactions: N7Kopper

N7Kopper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea why USB would be broken by the ISO driver. I will certaintly try this myself.
Interesting. It's just my hypothesis that comes from eyeballing it, so take it with a grain of salt.

I went back and checked again: In detail - running the game via NP9660 hard crashes the system as it tries to load the THQ logo FMV, and Inferno 2 works perfectly (far better than the infamously slow UMD loading times!) except for the PS2 linkup, which doesn't even register a connection.

EDIT: Last thing that just occurred to me - my PS2 is a DECKARD model. If that's what's breaking things then that's incredibly stupid given that the DECKARDs were actually being manufactured in 2005, but it's worth mentioning.

Last edited by N7Kopper,

N7Kopper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did I just stumble onto a long-lasting issue that nobody knew about? That's never happened to me before. XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza