Hacking PSP 3001 black screen but full recoverymenu access..

patey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't remember what I did wrong because I havent touched it since the softmods were new for the 3000 (I remember using the one you had to activate through the patapon demo) but I had gone ahead with the new (at the time) complete softmod.

all I can remember about the actual problem is I screwed up the "vhs" file(?) and lost the original before I had a chance to fix it. I have full access to the recovery menu (TN recovery menu to be exact) but need help fixing it, can anyone point me in the right direction?

any possible help is appreciated!

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
put the latest firmware onto a memory stick at this location

x:/psp/game/recovery/ (x being your psp mem stick drive letter)

so your eboot will be there

then use the run program at /psp/game/recovery/eboot.pbp

That should reflash it

Reactions: patey and xist

patey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found previous posts I made on another forum, my vhsmain is screwed up and I don't have a backup. will that fix the vhsmain as well?

and if it will, do you have a recommended fw for softmodding it again once I've fixed it? (it was at one point modded functionally haha, messed up on the permapatch)

**edit
after a quick look, I saw a tutorial here on gbatemp "hack every psp (up to firmware 6.60)"

I'm pretty sure its 6.20 right now, would 6.6 be the best OFW to repair it with?

patey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks. I'm not concerned about the fw version as long as theres a way for me to play my backups- I really don't want to have to look for my games haha, they're amongst the boxes the movers packed I haven't gotten around to :blink:

*edit

I obtained an OFW update here:
http://www.atmaxplorer.com/2011/10/howto-upgrade-your-psp-to-6-60-ofw/

but when I try to run it as instructed it goes to a black screen where after waiting awhile I can press L+R to bring up the recovery menu again..

*more info
the orange light (I assume this is the memory card indication) blinks in seemingly random ways and if a UMD disc is inserted it sounds like its trying to read it.

is there some sort of setting I changed I need to fix? anymore info I can give?

patey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bump

sorry for the double post, but I still really need help with this :/

currently I've played with a lot of the options in the recovery menu-
I can't run any OFW updates, it just goes right to the black screen. but some "perma-patch" installers will run as if they are installing but once it comes to the part where it tests it, it goes back to the black screen. the orange light for memory stick access(?) lights up a lot on the black screen before I can access the recovery menu again, and if there is a umd disc inserted it attempts to read it (I assume, it makes sounds :S)

This is the really odd part- I can attempt to update from the umd. I was able to find one game amongst my xbox games, GTA:chinatown wars. when I try to update from the game (which I am %110 sure is english) it comes up in a wierd language :S It looks like some sort of russian or something from around that area. I was able to look up the error code and its the one that says I already have a newer firmware or something.

I could've done a LOT of things trying to fix the original problem..

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You could try formatting Flash1 (DON'T FORMAT FLASH0! You will brick it otherwise) that is where all your settings and such are stored could be corrupt settings

patey

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
can't find an option to do anything with flash1 anywhere in the recovery, if it helps it says at the top "TN recovery menu"

fml -.- should've waited till softmodding reached a "beginners" stage for the 3000s haha

**edit
I used system character map to find a couple symbols and letters to use in google translate, confirmed it is russian, and used a virtual keyboard on google translate to succesfully translate the first screen ("PSP system software version 6.60" "launch")

so I could find my way through this, and change the language once I get it working in russian right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.