PSP 2000, Start Button... Long Story

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Dangy, Mar 4, 2010.

Mar 4, 2010
  1. Dangy
    OP

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    So, awhile back, I started having trouble with my PSP 2000's start button. It was acting like the start button was held down. (But you could still physically press the button down, and feel it move, so I know the button wasn't stuck.) So I decided to get a new home-bar from Hong Kong, on eBay. Big mistake. The order took TWO MONTHS, to get to my house, and when it got here, it was in a plain 'ol envelope, no protection at all. So, hoping this would do the trick, I installed the home-bar, and updated to D-3 (I was using B Full). All the buttons work, but now, instead of the start button being help down all the time, it's not working at all.

The main reason I had to get a new home bar is because I couldn't update my PSP when the home bar was being help down, I would just get a hex error...

So, do I try my luck on a new home-bar? Or do you think it's the motherboard (where the ribbon cable plugs in) that has problems?

Video of before I replaced my home-bar.

2. Dangy
    OP

United States
    Bump... [​IMG]

3. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I don't think anybody can answer this definitively. All I can suggest is reseating the bar to make sure you didn't install it incorrectly, because maybe it's not secure.

By plain envelope, do you mean a letter envelope as opposed to a shipping envelope? That would be a little silly.

4. ThetaSigma10

Member ThetaSigma10 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    ouch. not a good idea. you could take it to someone to have a look at it, but that will cost money.

5. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    If it were me, I would try reseating it as already stated. Open up the unit, but don't dismantle everything. Power it on and try manually pressing the start button by holding the bar in and pressing it, without the shell or anything getting in the way. If you can get it to respond this way, then that eliminates many of the potential problems.

6. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Are you sure the first time it wasn't a firmware issue?
    And then, as you replaced it, you somehow "broke" the button?

7. Dangy
    OP

United States
    I had M33 and B Full during that time, so probably not.