Hardware PSP 1000 vs E1000

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since forever since it's an option in Media Go. You can make as many copies of the backup as you want at your own discretion, the lifespan of your HDD is irrelevant.
You can't convert UMD's to digital (you could for a brief amount of time in Japan with UMD Transfer, but that's besides the point since I never claimed you could) and we're not talking about that, we're talking about digital, Media Go and backups of your own content. Sony can't discontinue Media Go because it's not a service - it can't magically vanish from your HDD.
You asked why not just pirate the games and I answered "to support the devs", this has nothing to do with backing up.
The difference is that you can pick up a Vita at any point in the future and replay your games whereas with Nintendo they're just gone. Your console and your software are separate products, tying them together is nonsense.
Uh I've backed up all my umds to digital, perhaps not sonys format, but anybody with a cfw psp can backup their umds.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Media Go is PC software, it will become obsolete eventually won't it?

Furthermore, Sony won't be offering it forever. If they're gonna shut down servers to download PSP games why wouldn't they also shut down the download server for Media Go.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Media Go is PC software, it will become obsolete eventually won't it?

Furthermore, Sony won't be offering it forever. If they're gonna shut down servers to download PSP games why wouldn't they also shut down the download server for Media Go.
...that's the point? You backup your software because PSN won't be online forever? I'm not trying to be cryptic here, I'm leaving loaf-sized bread crumbs over here. XD As long as you have your backups and Media Go, you're golden.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already told you. The PC that has the backups will eventually fail. Meaning the backups are useless. Its literally no different than buying a 2nd PSP and downloading the games to both PSPs.

Not to mention, when Sony drops Media Go then the program becomes a security risk and should probably be deleted from your computer.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I already told you. The PC that has the backups will eventually fail. Meaning the backups are useless. Its literally no different than buying a 2nd PSP and downloading the games to both PSPs.

Not to mention, when Sony drops Media Go then the program becomes a security risk and should probably be deleted from your computer.
Wat. You can copy your backups to new HDDs/SDDs/Whatever new DDs as time goes on, preservation of the backup is your responsibility. How does Media Go become a security risk once it's discontinued? Are you implying that someone can pretend to be PSN? I'm sure that will work without all of Sony's certificates and code. Ugh, I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.

If you feel like cherry picking some more, go ahead - I won't enact the effort to reply, we've gone off-topic enough already. You're given the option to legally backup all your content with no modding required and only Sony does this btw, there are no Nintendo or Microsoft equivalents. Worse than Hitler etc.

Regene

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to be off topic or anything but I backup my PSP games and the license file manually to my old Ipod which I use as an extra HDD as well as a flash drive. Backing up digital PSP games is handy when your running out of space on your memory stick and want to make room for something else that you want to buy on the PSN and in case you want to transfer it back to replay it instead of redownloading it. It also comes in handy when a game is pulled from the PSN like the PSone R-type games.

I never use MediaGo personally, I prefer the whole drag & drop method. As long as you take care of it whether it's hardware, physical copy of games, HDD, etc., almost everything should last a long time. I am aware that things can happen at anytime. My original Game Boy cartridges from the early 90's still work today as well as my Atari Lynx and it's games. Same goes for my PSP and UMD games as well as my Sandisk and Sony Memory Sticks.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not to be off topic or anything but I backup my PSP games and the license file manually to my old Ipod which I use as an extra HDD as well as a flash drive. Backing up digital PSP games is handy when your running out of space on your memory stick and want to make room for something else that you want to buy on the PSN and in case you want to transfer it back to replay it instead of redownloading it. It also comes in handy when a game is pulled from the PSN like the PSone R-type games.

I never use MediaGo personally, I prefer the whole drag & drop method. As long as you take care of it whether it's hardware, physical copy of games, HDD, etc., almost everything should last a long time. I am aware that things can happen at anytime. My original Game Boy cartridges from the early 90's still work today as well as my Atari Lynx and it's games. Same goes for my PSP and UMD games as well as my Sandisk and Sony Memory Sticks.
The problem with Drag and Drop on modern platforms is the usually cryptic directory naming scheme. Applications like Media Go help with this sort of thing since you don't have to copy and pray like I do whenever I backup my 3DS content (because god knows what's in those encrypted directories and whether or not you're copying everything you're supposed to). It's nice to see a company, y'know, reach out to their customers? Backups are an issue on consoles, they've always been in the grey area and having a legal, official method of making them is a rarity that companies don't get the well-deserved praise for.

Cartridges tend to have good shelf life, they can live on for decades on end (unless they have batteries on-board and many GBC titles do - those things can kill your games very easily!), optical discs of all-sorts are a different story. CD's tend to start deteriorating after just 10 years - they start skipping, they can de-layer themselves if they're not stored in a dry place without too much sunlight, they can get buggered in a myriad of different ways. Storage deterioration is already hitting hard when it comes to floppies and tapes, so it's something we have to keep in mind.

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wat. You can copy your backups to new HDDs/SDDs/Whatever new DDs as time goes on, preservation of the backup is your responsibility.
And immediately afterwards you say drag and drop won't work.

Ugh, I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.
I said I don't know all the details. I even pointed that out, that's no reason to be rude.
So by the sound of it, Media Go creates a file, and only that file can be drag and dropped freely across devices?
But can this content work on any PSP? So you're saying Sony lets people share their backups freely? What's stopping you from sending me your PSP game files created with Media Go, or hosting a website where anyone can download those files? I somehow doubt Media Go would actually let you do this. At best the files work only on the PSP the content is tied to or something to that effect, which makes the "backup" somewhat redundant. Or at least that's what I assume. There has to be some kind of catch. That's what I'm saying. Because how else would Sony ensure that Foxi's backups of PSP games are only used by Foxi. In other words, how would the backup know that you're YOU? I can only assume that the content is locked to a PC, or it's locked to a PSP, or it requires a connection to PSN servers which obviously won't be around forever. Like I said I don't know which it is, but you do, so by all means tell me which is it. If instead you're gonna tell me it's completely DRM free, you must forgive me if I don't believe you in the slightest.

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I said I don't know all the details. I even pointed that out, that's no reason to be rude.
So by the sound of it, Media Go creates a file, and only that file can be drag and dropped freely across devices?
But can this content work on any PSP? So you're saying Sony lets people share their backups freely? What's stopping you from sending me your PSP game files created with Media Go, or hosting a website where anyone can download those files? I somehow doubt Media Go would actually let you do this. At best the files work only on the PSP the content is tied to or something to that effect, which makes the "backup" somewhat redundant. Or at least that's what I assume. There has to be some kind of catch. That's what I'm saying. Because how else would Sony ensure that Foxi's backups of PSP games are only used by Foxi. In other words, how would the backup know that you're YOU? I can only assume that the content is locked to a PC, or it's locked to a PSP, or it requires a connection to PSN servers which obviously won't be around forever. Like I said I don't know which it is, but you do, so by all means tell me which is it. If instead you're gonna tell me it's completely DRM free, you must forgive me if I don't believe you in the slightest.
They don't there is a license file that media go also creates and sends to your PSPs' flash memory, without that it couldn't play them, on the other hand, there are plenty of ways now that you can extract your psn content and play it as iso's, not gonna get into it but you can back up your own content both legitimately or illegitimately. But only by an EMP will you not be able to play your games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It will, it's just not as convenient, I mentioned that. For all intents and purposes you can just forget Media Go altogether, backup the contents of your Memory Stick and live happily ever after, but Sony was nice enough to provide a GUI so that it's not a pain of trying to decrypt cryptic directory names. They're reaching out to the less tech-inclined users, it's a nice gesture.
I said I don't know all the details. I even pointed that out, that's no reason to be rude. So by the sound of it, Media Go creates a file, and only that file can be drag and dropped freely across devices? But can this content work on any PSP? So you're saying Sony lets people share their backups freely? What's stopping you from sending me your PSP game files created with Media Go, or hosting a website where anyone can download those files? I somehow doubt Media Go would actually let you do this. At best the files work only on the PSP the content is tied to or something to that effect, which makes the "backup" somewhat redundant. Or at least that's what I assume. There has to be some kind of catch. That's what I'm saying. Because how else would Sony ensure that Foxi's backups of PSP games are only used by Foxi. In other words, how would the backup know that you're YOU? I can only assume that the content is locked to a PC, or it's locked to a PSP, or it requires a connection to PSN servers which obviously won't be around forever. Like I said I don't know which it is, but you do, so by all means tell me which is it. If instead you're gonna tell me it's completely DRM free, you must forgive me if I don't believe you in the slightest.
Having an account system that doesn't suck is a good starting point. Your backups are obviously tied to the devices you've synced with Media Go, this much is obvious. They're not "DRM-Free", you can't freely copy them to any unit, just the units that you own and have synchronized with your account and Media Go at some point. I don't think the application needs to be online after the initial handshake, so there you go - you only "verify" once to my knowledge. Anywho, my problem with your approach is that they give you the option to make your own backups and you criticize them while simultaneously proselytizing an objectively worse solution Nintendo's using, which is tying content to hardware. I can use my PlayStation content on any PlayStation platform I own and I can freely add or remove units at will from my account (it used to be up to 5 units of one platform, it has since been decreased to 2 units per platform since people were sharing games like mad. You can add more than 2 units, but you can only use software on 2 at a time), you can't do that on Nintendo - your games are always tied to one unit for whatever reason. Imagine if that was a thing on PC's, imagine if whatever you put on a USB stick would only work on your PC and if you lost that PC or if it died on you, your USB stick would be useless. I'm sorry, that's insane, I don't see what's so alluring in not being in charge of your content.

Reactions: Codemastershock

zeello

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anywho, my problem with your approach is that they give you the option to make your own backups and you criticize them while simultaneously proselytizing an objectively worse solution Nintendo's using, which is tying content to hardware.
I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing Sony. Mostly I was just deliberating that, in a vacuum, it personally does not seem worth it to back up PSP content using Media Go. If you translate that as "Nintendo rules, Sony drools" I assure that was not my intention.

But another thing is, your backing up method requires connecting a PSP to a PC, which shouldn't be encouraged because it enables people to commit piracy. This is the nail in the coffin to the idea of backing up PSP games legally. It's better to just not do it, and never talk about it.

To be fair it's not exactly Sony's fault. If the PSP wasn't hacked, this Media Go functionality might have been appreciated, unfortunately that's not the reality of the situation.

Disco

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
In your place, I would look for 2000. Screen is OK, it has more RAM, has easy to replace battery and is fully hackable, I have one myself and I love it.
E1000 looks and feels pretty crappy, and 1000 looks awesome, but has bad d-pad (you have to mod it to properly support diagonals), and it has horrible screen. Its ghosting fest, had it back in the day, but compared to my DSLite that PSP screen was atrocious :nds:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1