PSone backups?

epicelite

Equal opportunity ass kicker.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I was to just burn a backup to a DVD would I need to mod the PSone any to read it?

PSone not PS1 slim console.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really doubt the PSone has a dvd drive.

Sure if you know what the hell you are doing you could possibly you know mod the whole system and then reprogram the whole thing which would take a shitload of time, know how and money.

Good luck and have fun.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
epicelite said:
PSone not PS1 slim console.

PSOne = PS1 Slim

PS1 or PSX (even though it means a whole different system
wacko.gif
) = regular playstation

also there is no such thing as a PS1 with the DVD disk reader (any model)

stretch

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Banger said:
I really doubt the PSone has a dvd drive.

Sure if you know what the hell you are doing you could possibly you know mod the whole system and then reprogram the whole thing which would take a shitload of time, know how and money.

Good luck and have fun.
That would be quite interesting.

So epicelite, have you started?

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
The old PS systems were a piece of cake, cuz they had that expansion port in the back. Buy a "cheat" cartridge and you're done. The PS-One's are a pain though. Either you need to set it up for swapping. I use the Codebreaker cheat disk, but that's a pain cuz you gotta go into a menu, stop the disc, all that crap. A mod chip's the way to go.. even a simple one will do (7 wires I think.) Get somebody to install it for you if you're not good at soldering, those points are tiny. I raeped my system without even thinking about it trying to put one in it. Ripped a surface mount resistor cleeeeeeen off. Ouch.

Just my 2¢.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
If you have the ability to write and use dvds, then you probably have the ability to do CDs. Just burn them on CD's and mod your system I guess. Also, why don't you just use an emulator? Epsxe is great.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LOL Ive done HUNDREDS of ps1/psx whatever you want to call the console .. BACKUPS and written guides on how to do it they are ALL CDR not DVDR its a CDR drive it will not even ENTERTAIN a DVD!

You could however use a DVD in your PC only and store several PS1/PSX iso's on a DVDR as a DATA DVD disk for storage ONLY and that's about it ... you wont get them to run in a PS1/PSX ever like this you can just bulk store them like you would any data backed up onto DVDR
smile.gif

In theory you could burn ANY image file you want to a DVDR but would be a pointless exercise as it would STILL not work in the PS1/PSX and would also be a pointless waste of space using 700mb on a 4.7gb Single Layer or 8.5gb Dual Layer disk
smile.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
epicelite said:
Well fine I can do CD too.

How does a console even tell if it was burned?

it can!

it scans track 1 if no track 1 is found then it does not boot the disk as a normal original game!

track 1 contains information like regional protection and boot code and TOC data for the original game if its not found it fails!

no public available cd burners can read nor write this elusive track 1

on a commercial scale this track is pressed into the disk at the factory (some times called disk stamping) it does not use a burner at all!

the ps1 mod chip injects this information and the regional protection/TOC data into the ps1 over and over and over until it boots the disk thus fooling it into thinking its booting an original!

the swap method reads the information off the swap disk or the original disk swapping for the backup mid spin also fools the ps1 into thinking the copy/backup is the original game
smile.gif

other protections added later on were libcrypt which again later was discovered to be burned into the disk subchannel data if this was repaired on burning the backup the disk would fail as it saw it as a corrupt!

the workaround for this was to burn and NOT REPAIR THE SUBCHANNEL data thus keeping the Libcrypt data intact and the copy/backup booting!

morcar

Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
epicelite said:
Well fine I can do CD too.

How does a console even tell if it was burned?

it can!

it scans track 1 if no track 1 is found then it does not boot the disk as a normal original game!

track 1 contains information like regional protection and boot code and TOC data for the original game if its not found it fails!

no public available cd burners can read nor write this elusive track 1

on a commercial scale this track is pressed into the disk at the factory (some times called disk stamping) it does not use a burner at all!

the ps1 mod chip injects this information and the regional protection/TOC data into the ps1 over and over and over until it boots the disk thus fooling it into thinking its booting an original!

the swap method reads the information off the swap disk or the original disk swapping for the backup mid spin also fools the ps1 into thinking the copy/backup is the original game
smile.gif

other protections added later on were libcrypt which again later was discovered to be burned into the disk subchannel data if this was repaired on burning the backup the disk would fail as it saw it as a corrupt!

the workaround for this was to burn and NOT REPAIR THE SUBCHANNEL data thus keeping the Libcrypt data intact and the copy/backup booting!

i always wanted to know about that stuff about the PS1 and now i know ...thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U