PSJailbreak Reverse Engineered

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by mehrab2603, Aug 26, 2010.

Aug 26, 2010
  1. mehrab2603
    OP

Member mehrab2603 GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    German website GameFreax has claimed to have successfully reverse engineered PS Jailbreak. They
    bring out some important information that was
    previously unknown. First off,PSJailbreak was apparently NOT a clone of Sony ’s JIG,
    instead its a legitimate exploit that was developed. Second,we can NOT upgradePSJailbreak without the use of
    additional hardware - maybe the company planned to sell another component to
    upgrade the unit?Here is the translated post:

We have taken a closer look at this PSJailbreak dongle
    We can confirm that the PSJailbreak is not a clone of Sony ’s “Jig” module.
    PSJailbreak is a self-
    developed exploit. The
    chip is not a PIC18F444 but a ATMega is used with a software USB interface. This means the chip is internally capable of emulating any USB device. PSJailbreak emulates a 6 Port USB hub on which different devices will later be
    connected and then
    disconnected. One of
    these devices has the
    product:vendor ID of
    Sony ’s “Jig” module,
    which means this had
    played a certain role
    during the development of PSJailbreak role.But lets start from beginning: When the PS3 is powered on … A USB emulation device will be connected, which has a too large of a Configuration Descriptor.This Descriptor overrides
    the stack with a PowerPC shellcode that gets executed. Now, various USB devices are connected to the emulation USB hub. One device has a large Descriptor with a size of 0xAD, which is part of the exploit and contains static data. A short time later (we are talking
    milliseconds here) the jig module is connected, and encrypted data is transmitted to the jig
    module. A few milliseconds later, the Jig module answers with 64 byte static data, all USB devices are then disconnected, and a new USB device is connected and the PS3 launches with ‘a new feature’.

PSJailbreak is NOT
    software update-able.
    The Update feature
    which is mentioned, can be done just with
    hardware modifications.
    So by ‘update’ they mean ‘buy more of our stuff’

Source: gamefreax.de/psjailbreak-reverse-engineered.html

2. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    Yes let me be first to ask WTF is a Jig

3. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This addon was said to "tricks your console into thinking that it is a developer unit". ... maybe that is what they mean?

4. sebas001

Newcomer sebas001 Member

Netherlands
    a usb stick from sony that boots before the actual Fw, it is used to repair bricked PS3's.

5. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    ok that makes sense... reminds me of the psp pandora battery thing. People called it a sony jigkick which was used to repair bricked psp.

Interesting news.

6. overslept

Member overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

United States
    I love the last sentence [​IMG]

7. iNFiNiTY

Member iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Bascially one main thing this means is, that the dongle won't even be required. You should be able to emulate the exploit from a PC or someone suggested even a PSP connected via USB.

8. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States

How did you come to that conclusion?

9. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    i'll be waiting until people get their hands on this.... once they do and it actually works 100%, i'll be buying a ps3 really fast!

10. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Check the official thread, it does work, though not with all games yet, and not with updates yet.

11. iNFiNiTY

Member iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It doesn't rely on any special hardware inside because its not a clone of a JIG device. The exploit could be ported to any piece of hardware that connects to the USB port.

12. Aman27deep

Member Aman27deep GBAtemp Fan

India
    me too [​IMG]

13. petspaps

Member petspaps GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Dido.

Hrm wonder about the update only available by extra hardware, will this be the same with the clones.

14. Kayot

Member Kayot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    When I first saw that PS3's had been cracked, I was like "Crap, now I have to buy one."

It's kind of a rule of mine that the moment a system is cracked I get one and crack it. Mainly because I'm scared that when I get older, those systems and their games will be gone with no emulator backup, so I have to hack it and try to get every game made for it to make sure it's always available. The sad part is practically every game I pirate never leaves archive format.

If this exploit is refined, I'll get a PS3. Hopefully they'll add homebrew support. Ironically as much as I pirate, a lot of homebrew and emulators make it way more valuable. I love my PSP 2001. I carry all my SNES and PS1 with me on my massive 32GB card. The only PSP game I play is Disgaea. The homebrew just rocks, categories, cwcheat, pspstate (wish there was a popstate) and a few others like one that lets me play on my monitor with a normal gamepad.

I hope this takes off like crazy. Then again, there aren't a lot of games I'd play for it. Disgaea 3 and maybe FF13. Those I'll buy since I'm a fan. The rest I'd probably pirate and forget about. For now I'll wait and see how this all pans out and whether this is worth it or not. If not, in about 10+ years there will hopefully be a good emulator and torrents with the whole collection... maybe... Should I start downloading now?

15. Fluto

Member Fluto A potato in disguise

Australia
    what is with sony and their boot this if this is plugged in , think about it
    ps2- memory card
    psp- battery
    ps3- usb

16. Kayot

Member Kayot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It just means that the ps4 wont have a memory card slot, a battery of any kind, or usb slots... At which point they'll exploit video out somehow, thus ending the war.

17. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Um, wouldn't homebrew support for this be as easy as choosing to launch a piece of homebrew instead of a game? PS3 homebrew has existed before this, but I'm not sure on the specifics.