PSA: Stop downgrading unless you know what you're doing!

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Kafluke, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Purple screens?
    Black screens?
    Just Switch logo and then nothing?

These are just a few examples of what you will face unless you fully understand what downgrading your switch means.

You cannot just willy nilly downgrade your switch to any firmware version that you find online and expect it to cold boot to official firmware without issues.

Your fuse count MUST match the firmware version that you are downgrading to and the boot0 and boot1 files that you use are console specific and firmware specific. If you just flash a firmware to your switch that you found online and it doesn't contain these console specific files and the fuse counts don't match then you are going to have issues.

Every time you cold boot your Switch to official firmware (not RCM and custom payload) the console checks to see if your fuse count matches the firmware that is on the sysnand. If you're booting a higher firmware than your fuse count then the Switch will just burn the fuses to match the higher firmware. If your firmware is lower than what your fuse count indicates then the switch won't boot at all. You'll only be able to boot at that point with RCM and a custom bootloader that ignores the fuse count.

If you previously updated your Switch using Choidejour and turned on AutoRCM then your fuse count should stay low enough for you to restore your nand backup that you made previous to upgrading the firmware on the sysnand.

If you didn't pay attention to any of the guides here on GBATemp and never made a nand backup and never preserved your fuse count there is still hope for a downgrade (many guides on here to help you with that) but you will always have to boot to RCM and load a custom bootloader in order to boot your Switch after that because your fuse count won't match and there is no way to "unburn" a fuse.

If none of this makes sense to you then you shouldn't be attempting any kind of downgrade anyway.

Use hekate to find your fuse count and check here to see the current known fuse count for all firmwares.

Edit: Added fuse count list.

Last edited by Kafluke, Feb 20, 2019
  2. AmandaRose

AmandaRose The Fallen Angel

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Totally agree with the above but nobody will take notice. And besides nobody on the temp ever bricks their consoles it's always a brother/cousin/friend ect ect that does dumb shit.

SaUzEr, Sophie-bear, loler55 and 12 others like this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I would say that this should be obvious to everyone, but considering the number of threads saying "I downgraded from 7.0 and now I can't boot" that have popped up lately it clearly isn't as obvious as I would like it to be.
    Doubt most of them will read this thread anyway if they've been blind enough to miss that information up until now, but hey, it's worth a shot.

Mnecraft368, DayVeeBoi and Kafluke like this.
  4. KHANV1CT

KHANV1CT GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2013
    United States
    Why downgrade anyway? Aren't most CFW compatible with all OFW?

5. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Not 7.x yet

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I agree 100% but like you said. The front page is littered with questions about this.

Budsixz likes this.
  6. mdmachine

mdmachine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    lol... The latest updated guide that's been passed around here and reddit literally has big red boxed warnings covering all of this, that the users have to scroll by, just to do the procedure.

If they can't be bothered to read that, why would they read this?

Honestly it would be great if there was a bot for here and reddit that could... Detect the wording, cuz its almost always the same. Reply VIA PM with the link they already failed to follow, then delete/lock the thread.

At best, just ignore them and let it fall with 0 replies lol. Straight up bump ANYTHING else that isn't "one of those" just to get em off the 1st page as quickly as possible... lol

But who am I kidding? If it isn't this, it's just the usual "X.X.X came out 2 minutes ago, is it hacked? should I update?", "where do I find keys!" or "updated now CFW no worky".

And NEVER underestimate what a goldfish can do when left unattended! :teach:

Budsixz and Kafluke like this.
  7. bobdamnit

bobdamnit Don't be a dick.

GBAtemp Patron
    bobdamnit is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    This. I cannot agree with this more. My goldfish learned to swim and breathe underwater all by himself! I still marvel at my goldfishes intelligence.

8. Kafluke
    OP

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I agree. I more or less made this so I have something to reply to all these threads with. Hate typing out the same thing over and over again.

mdmachine likes this.
  9. natkoden

natkoden https://bit.ly/2UDJdns

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    People will do whatever they feel like doing, most don't even stop 5 minutes to consider the repercussions, that's why you see threads that make you go "why? how?" all the time.

The other day a guy was asking on another forum why his switch showed a black screen after following a video on youtube, turns out that black screen was AutoRCM doing it's job and he didn't even had tegraRCMGUI/smash and his microSD ready.

Like... watch the video until the end, Jesus...

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Embrace yourself

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    It should honestly go without saying but don't do anything extremely risky without investing some time into learning the risks, benefits, and you know just knowing something about what you are getting into. People don't realize that they are playing with fire and if they aren't careful, they will get burned.

Dragonx41 and NoNAND like this.
  11. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    Reading is fundamental

12. Budsixz

Budsixz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 27, 2018
    India
    Also what I find annoying are people who don't let us know when an issue is fixed or not fixed on a thread that they started
    And let's not forget the ungrateful bunch who bash devs for stuff they got for free and keep pestering every1 by asking eta
    Really people should learn Patience and Respect

NoNAND likes this.
  13. natkoden

natkoden https://bit.ly/2UDJdns

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    That really gets under my skin... you google something and you're lucky if you see a "I finally fixed it, thanks" post if anything...

Budsixz likes this.
  14. AngeloftheNight091

AngeloftheNight091 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2017
    Canada
    Sinnoh
    This Post should be Pinned to the forums so its the first thing people see

15. mdmachine

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    This place could use a post-count restriction, with the exception of one sub that allows say 1-20 postcount people to spam away in.

8 out of 10 times it's somebody with 1-5 posts. Never to be seen again more often than not.

Or at least an IT section, for those who want to help others and not earn $15 an hour.

"Sir, is the unit plugged in? Did your press power?"

16. Nononoki

Nononoki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Quick question: Do the boot0 and boot1 files change after an upgrade or do they always stay the same?

17. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That's not a bad idea. I'm thinking that a Xenforo mod to detect common keywords when posting a new thread, to show them a link to common solutions and suggesting them to post in noob paradise if they still need help, and requiring them to actually confirm they've read it if they still want to post the thread would be quite effective. I've seen similar things in email support, where you often just get a bot reply with common solutions and you have to reply to that before an actual human being will read your message. It would certainly help cut down on repeated questions.

Snomannen_kalle and mdmachine like this.
  18. mdmachine

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    That's a glorious idea!
    Would improve qol around here greatly!

19. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If it was up to me, I'd definitely write something like this. It would certainly take effort to write it and to constantly tweak it to detect more keywords and always have up to date suggestions. But I think it'd be worth it since it would result in a better forum experience for everyone.

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The real PSA is stop updating your console to 7.0 and leaving Wi-Fi settings on a hacked console. CFW updaters only work once you reboot the console so might as well turn it off and remove the SD card and no point in FTP when we have nxmtp instead.

21. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    But muh online play