Hacking PSA: Nintendo blocked the Sky3DS (partially) through new anti-piracy checks in their upcoming games

D

Deleted User

@motezazer

Thanks for the quote but where is the technical information? She claims a certain flag enables "the new antipiracy checks". So what exactly ARE these new antipiracy checks?

She even admits she did not look into it, yet is making bold claims...

So I'll just requote myself:

To be honest I have still not heard the exact technical reason why Sky3DS is failing to mimic the Fire Emblem Fates cartridge properly. Is it a new command? If so, which one? Is it a new key? If so, what IO register is being used on the ARM9 side for this?

Until there is a real answer to this, I'm skeptical and leaning towards simply a bad dump.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@motezazer

Thanks for the quote but where is the technical information? She claims a certain flag enables "the new antipiracy checks". So what exactly ARE these new antipiracy checks?

She even admits she did not look into it, yet is making bold claims...
A new communication protocol, more secure.
The *exact* details aren't known (but they were under our nose for more than 4 months).

D

Deleted User

A new communication protocol, more secure.
The *exact* details aren't known (but they were under our nose for more than 4 months).

How do you know there is a new protocol without exact details? These antipiracy claims are really thin without knowing the details or proof. So where is the proof?

D

Deleted User

Because that is the only way to truly block Sky3DS. The old protocol is flawed.

Do you even have any proof of the existence of a new protocol besides the fact "sky3ds cant play it" ? Maybe it is simply a bad dump, or maybe a header check that restricts this particular game from being played from a cartridge, or maybe something else that nobody thought of?

Simply because sky3ds doesn't play it, that does not automatically conclude it is a new antipiracy check. Please exercise some logic with clear technical arguments

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's so flawed it took 1 year to release something LOL
Fixed

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you even have any proof of the existence of a new protocol besides the fact "sky3ds cant play it" ? Maybe it is simply a bad dump, or maybe a header check that restricts this particular game from being played from a cartridge?
1. The game was released as a cartridge.
2. The signatures of the dump are valid.

D

Deleted User

Fixed

How was the rom dump made? Was the source a cartridge? Was the source eshop?

Anyway back to my previous assertion: If there is a new antipiracy check, then it must be visible somewhere in the ARM9 code. And then it would be possible to see what new IO registers are being used for this, that would be definitive proof there is a new antipiracy check.

But until then, it is all hear say and rumors

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted-19228

Why are you trolling this thread?

It took 3 years for this so-called "flawed" protocol to be figured out.

D

Deleted-19228

Fixed

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The signatures of Animal Crossing are not valid. 0x00'd out headers.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The signatures of Animal Crossing are not valid. 0x00'd out headers.
I was speaking about Fire Emblem IF.
Why are you trolling this thread?

It took 3 years for this so-called "flawed" protocol to be figured out.
Without ARM9 access, no one was able to know the protocol, because it's Process9 who manage it. It took one year to make a full commercial product since the first public ARM9 exploit.
EDIT : It took one year to have the idea of a cartridge emulator, reverse engineer the protocol, find that it's unsecure and make a full commercial product.

Last edited by motezazer,

nervx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Either people need to be banned or this thread locked for the time being. Too much bickering and off topic stuff is taking place.

How do you know there is a new protocol without exact details? These antipiracy claims are really thin without knowing the details or proof. So where is the proof?

I've asked wulf twice now a pretty basic question dealing with his/her claims on what's going on and no response. From what I gather looking around no one knows what's going on yet and people are jumping to conclusions and misinformation is being spread as a result. People need to wait and see.

Reactions: Deleted User

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anyway back to my previous assertion: If there is a new antipiracy check, then it must be visible somewhere in the ARM9 code. And then it would be possible to see what new IO registers are being used for this, that would be definitive proof there is a new antipiracy check.

But until then, it is all hear say and rumors

Why would new IO registers be used?

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Either people need to be banned or this thread locked for the time being. Too much bickering and off topic stuff is taking place.

I've asked wulf twice now a pretty basic question dealing with his/her claims on what's going on and no response. From what I gather looking around no one knows what's going on yet and people are jumping to conclusions and misinformation is being spread as a result. People need to wait and see.
The fact that Sky suggested to use a CFW (which removes the sig checks) to play Fire Emblem If is more than enough proof.

D

Deleted User

Because a new 'secure' protocol would need new IO registers or new flags in existing IO registers. They cannot reuse the old IO registers if the encryption is different. The hardware is not that smart, it needs to be told what to do.

motezazer

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because a new 'secure' protocol would need new IO registers or new flags in existing IO registers. They cannot reuse the old IO registers if the encryption is different.
Protocol != Interface
Process9 can add a second layer of crypto, verify that a cartridge know a private key... So much possibilities.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night