Hacking Discussion PSA: Do not update to a new firmware immediately (e.g. 6.0)

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thandor
was suprised as well. They don‘t overwrite! If you check DevMenu you see all updates for each title and you can delete them separately.

I wonder why this is not adressed more often, found it out myself.
You may have access to update log with devmenu, but not the update itself, right? Log ko? 70ko? 120ko? Or 120 mb 120mo > or something like that?

Last edited by KHEOPS,

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thandor
What size have you gained? In ko? Mb? Mo? Go?
If it's 100kb it's not the update
These are update logs.
If it's more than 100mo there I'd like to believe that the updates don't erase the old ones or overwrite them.

For example I can archive my nsp on switch, I don't have the game anymore, but I see its cover, (understand that deleting a cover from an eshop game is not the same as deleting the nsp game itself)
Metaphore
nsp = update
Cover = update log

I'm just trying to understand with you, how could nintendo do shit like that? Don't clean before or after updates? Loss of space, ram, slowdowns, all those things that are not made of origin? You have to use DEVMENU, a copyrighteous software to have a clean and optimized switch? If that's what it's bullshit from nintendo, and they have to patch it.

And that I know how to put the last capital letter of a game is enough, no need to pass each step....v1,v2,v2, etc v3 directly, so if that's always wait for the last update? Or use DEVMENU? ( copyright)
Either become, not normal behavior of a OS switch in 2018

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Thandor

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thandor
What size have you gained? In ko? Mb? Mo? Go?
If it's 100kb it's not the update
These are update logs.
If it's more than 100mo there I'd like to believe that the updates don't erase the old ones or overwrite them.

For example I can archive my nsp on switch, I don't have the game anymore, but I see its cover, (understand that deleting a cover from an eshop game is not the same as deleting the nsp game itself)
Metaphore
nsp = update
Cover = update log

I'm just trying to understand with you, how could nintendo do shit like that? Don't clean before or after updates? Loss of space, ram, slowdowns, all those things that are not made of origin? You have to use DEVMENU, a copyrighteous software to have a clean and optimized switch? If that's what it's bullshit from nintendo, and they have to patch it.

Ah now I understand. But sorry I haven‘t looked at the sizes, just cleaned up once in a while and deleted older updates and other games I don‘t need anymore.

Perhaps anybody else could provide info on the size of older updates.

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wait, what? Newer patches don't overwrite previous ones?

I was suprised as well. They don‘t overwrite! If you check DevMenu you see all updates for each title and you can delete them separately.

I wonder why this is not adressed more often, found it out myself.
Can you confirm, in your experience, that the latest update of a game is inclusive of all content released in previous updates of a game?

There were mixed reports of whether only the latest update was needed, or if each update was needed, in this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nsp-update-versions-and-file-sizes-question.517729/
As some people noticed that the latest update NSP was smaller than the previous update(s) NSP(s).

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thandor
Yep ok man! We understood each other.
Fully agree
Because nintendo screwed up in this case
It is easy to do the test....
And I did it...
Take a nsp that has at least 2 updates
I put update1 on X games ( popup update available)
I'm updating 2 without 1 ( no popup)

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Thandor

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can you confirm, in your experience, that the latest update of a game is inclusive of all content released in previous updates of a game?

There were mixed reports of whether only the latest update was needed, or if each update was needed, in this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nsp-update-versions-and-file-sizes-question.517729/
As some people noticed that the latest update NSP was smaller than the previous update(s) NSP(s).

I can confirm for Fifa 18, Hollow Knight or Mario Kart. Installed newer updates and saw in DevMenu the older one too. So I deleted the older ones and the games where running fine.

All newer updates include the older updates too. Thats why they have always a bigger download size - at least for me. Haven‘t seen a smaller update NSP yet for my games.

Last edited by Thandor,

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry for the repetitive messages
I had a connection bug

Yes, that's right, I did the test.
That's why I'm surprised that the switch doesn't clean the old update.
So either wait for the last update?
or use Devmenu ( copyright,or ban,or hack switch)
So only hackers have a clean and optimized switch, the other ones....
Hs ( other console Android kitkat 4.4.4 )
And it's still the case with my gpdxd, I'm root ( legacy rom) the only way to have a clean android, because often logs remain in folders, while you delete applications, it's sad to see that on mainstream consoles, which know nothing about computers, or hacking,jailbrak, etc....
Those who complain about the performance of this or that system, are never the pirates or hackers who know the processes, ex windows10? the general public him and well they take out the oars in front of their tablet, pc, and now their consoles? Which are intended for the same general public.
At my work ( 6 smartphones, 3 tablet,4 pc portable...)People facing these little problems for us, but the noob is insurmountable, the smartphone doesn't start, or the tablet? he could throw these things in the garbage, only to have them repaired out of warranty
I am often troubleshooting android bootloop (simple process either vol+ or vol- power, etc)
People don't know how to do from 30 to 60 years old, I do their maintenance widows cleaning, because they complain and ask me to do something for them, so often that I could create a smartphone pc or other computer breakdown service company, that's the truth here around me.
And believe me, 90% of the people around me don't know anything about computers or hacking, or have optimized their PCs
They are exactly the opposite of my little crush....

Last edited by KHEOPS,
Reactions: Erol

IFireflyl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like hekate and SDFilesSwitch are both updated to 6.0.0.

I tried to paste the URLs, to the githubs, but I'm a new user so I can't.

github[dotcom]/CTCaer/hekate/releases/tag/v4.1

github[dotcom]/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch

EDIT: those are the urls (kind of, lol)

Last edited by IFireflyl,

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like hekate and SDFilesSwitch are both updated to 6.0.0.

I tried to paste the URLs, to the githubs, but I'm a new user so I can't.

github[dotcom]/CTCaer/hekate/releases/tag/v4.1

github[dotcom]/tumGER/SDFilesSwitch

EDIT: those are the urls (kind of, lol)
AFAIK, homebrew NSPs do not work on firmware 6.0

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think I will do the update in 1 month or two, since my backup nand is in my current firmware, forced to start clean, before update the firmware 5.1.0> 6.0
By then I enjoy it, then I think in a month or two, the problems will be solved, I hope.

Thandor

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Will update only when there a games requiring 6.0.0 and TX released a new fully working version of SX OS. Until then, no need for a new firmware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool