Homebrew [PSA] do not downgrade yet!

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only that but they're signed with per-console keys so your other 3ds can't even attempt to read it

Oh wow OK. I got ya. I think I'll just completely switch over to the smaller n3ds :D

I'd just get another large microSD card but transferring saves is a nightmare process!

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow OK. I got ya. I think I'll just completely switch over to the smaller n3ds :D

I'd just get another large microSD card but transferring saves is a nightmare process!
Not really... you can just use SVDT, you could even use one SD card, install the same CIA on both consoles and then just use SVDT to transfer saves between the two consoles, not perfect but not the worst solution ever

Reactions: Hammyface

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really... you can just use SVDT, you could even use one SD card, install the same CIA on both consoles and then just use SVDT to transfer saves between the two consoles, not perfect but not the worst solution ever

Oh wow. SVDT must be new. When I transferred my Smash save back in July it took a ridiculous amount of work to get it extracted.

D

Deleted User

Just feel I need to put it out there for the rest of the other people. Let the death of my baby N3DS be a lesson to you all!

DON'T USE THE CURRENT DOWNGRADE TOOLS! 70-80% FULL BRICK GUARANTEED FROM THERE ON!

Yes, I know we're all excited for the new 3DS 9.3> tools, but there's just no telling of what may happen!

There are safer tutorials that result in soft bricks at worst, and hard bricks are far below 70-80%. This is misinformation and doesn't help people make logical decisions when weighing their options. On a New Nintendo 3DS you have a decent chance of success using the theoretical "Best Method" tutorial. We know exactly what happens, and the developers understand why they happen. People mindlessly using the tools have no idea what is going on.

That being said, understand the difference between reasonably safe and totally unstable. This method is reasonably safe, which means there is still a nonzero chance of getting a brick. If you have to ask ANY questions about how to do any part of that tutorial or you don't know what CFW is or you have other questions about fundamentals... Don't do things that are over your head.

(Also, I'd like to point out that I'm not using Voxel Studios as an example of someone in this situation, as I don't know their understanding of the technology. The quoted post just happened to go with what I was already wanting to say.)

D

Deleted User

There are safer tutorials that result in soft bricks at worst, and hard bricks are far below 70-80%. This is misinformation and doesn't help people make logical decisions when weighing their options. On a New Nintendo 3DS you have a decent chance of success using the theoretical "Best Method" tutorial. We know exactly what happens, and the developers understand why they happen. People mindlessly using the tools have no idea what is going on.

That being said, understand the difference between reasonably safe and totally unstable. This method is reasonably safe, which means there is still a nonzero chance of getting a brick. If you have to ask ANY questions about how to do any part of that tutorial or you don't know what CFW is or you have other questions about fundamentals... Don't do things that are over your head.

(Also, I'd like to point out that I'm not using Voxel Studios as an example of someone in this situation, as I don't know their understanding of the technology. The quoted post just happened to go with what I was already wanting to say.)
I would seriously recommend to anyone now not to quote the post I made. I was just angry that day because I bricked my N3DS. But now I have a fresh and working O3DS XL now, this quote can just be overlooked now, thanks.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are safer tutorials that result in soft bricks at worst, and hard bricks are far below 70-80%. This is misinformation and doesn't help people make logical decisions when weighing their options. On a New Nintendo 3DS you have a decent chance of success using the theoretical "Best Method" tutorial.

Keep in mind this was posted before the newer software was available so, at the time, it wasn't misinformation. Downgrading has since gotten much more stable and small stability updates have since been added to memchunkhax 2

D

Deleted User

I would seriously recommend to anyone now not to quote the post I made. I was just angry that day because I bricked my N3DS. But now I have a fresh and working O3DS XL now, this quote can just be overlooked now, thanks.

Keep in mind this was posted before the newer software was available so, at the time, it wasn't misinformation. Downgrading has since gotten much more stable and small stability updates have since been added to memchunkhax 2

I understand, it just sucks that so many people look at these posts and ask questions instead of researching, so I wanted to point out that this is no longer true. My phrasing was more accusatory than I intended it to be. :)

Reactions: dark_samus3

sterob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the chance of bricking currently? So many threads i can't even keep track with all of them.

Damon_girl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of now, which version of sysUpdater is safe to use?

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the chance of bricking currently? So many threads i can't even keep track with all of them.
It is relatively low... while Steveice10 was developing the safety enhancements to sysupdater we had a guy who was purposely trying to brick (he had a hardmod and backups) of the 4 tests he did, randomly powering the console off at different times he bricked once. So as long as you keep your console on it SHOULD be safe, just keep in mind there's always a small risk you take (which has gotten insanely small now, but it's still there) when you downgrade

As of now, which version of sysUpdater is safe to use?
The latest version by Steveice10 (not sure where you can find it)

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is KTM really brick proof?

Heard people on the below thread just said KTM is just the same as the risky way. It's only a compiled so people don't get mistaken getting unsafe firmware cia??? Now I am confused.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-now-safe-downgrade-a-n3ds.408638/
any downgrade process has a slight risk no matter what. What KTM is meant to do is check several things; region, console model, verifies that the filepack is valid by checking a hash of it. If anything doesn't properly match then KTM will refuse to attempt the downgrade. This ensures the safest possible downgrade, just keep in mind nothing is "brick proof" but can be maximized for safety, which is what KTM is attempting to achieve

Reactions: tivu100

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any downgrade process has a slight risk no matter what. What KTM is meant to do is check several things; region, console model, verifies that the filepack is valid by checking a hash of it. If anything doesn't properly match then KTM will refuse to attempt the downgrade. This ensures the safest possible downgrade, just keep in mind nothing is "brick proof" but can be maximized for safety, which is what KTM is attempting to achieve
I understand that point; just like normal updating process or suddenly lose power of Wii U in game (memory corrupted I just read last night); bad memory card when backing NAND... all poses some kind of bricking risk.

So let me just ask this straight away. With the updated sysupdater, it is as safe as KTM can get in case I get the correct firmware package for the 3DS (model, region), right? So no point to wait for KTM? I thought of KTM as some kind of stable sysupdater (downgrader), but new info seems to dimiss this notion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome