Ps5 Detachable Disk Drive Photos

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guess what...x-bot m.2 nvme Ssd's are married to the console...to be expected from Micro$oft.

Can be replaced if the original Ssd is still working by cloning a hidden partition containing console specific encryption keys onto the new ssd.
Ah yeah I forgot to mention that part too, but like you said so long as the hidden partition is fine (which it is in most cases) then you can clone the drive, but the extra shitty part is that it has to be one of those specific xbox drives that you clone it to, or at least whatever is on their internal whitelist for nvme drives.

That's why the cod3r didn't throw like a 4tb nvme in that xbox when he upgraded it to a 1tb, which is speculated to only have worked due to the 1tb black series S being released, and therefore the software would allow for 1tb on series S.

So yes, still crappy anti consumer practices, but at least there's a more viable option there.

Reactions: HellGhast

Adam512

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
we just want the internal storage to be user replaceable... however already in pcie 4.0 and even 5.0 there are huge speeds...

I hope that sony will think about the players and at least we will introduce nvme discs for the PS6 because these consoles are not the cheapest... I would like it for the PS5 Pro, but for 99.9% it will remain with the old solution when Zen2 probably remained and overclocked to 4Ghz (from 3,5) Perhaps on PS6, I hope.

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
The online activation for the disc drive...

I can't see them using it to marry the drive to the console permanently, that'll piss a lot of people off, like say a ps5 disc edition dies but you wanna save money replacing it and buy the digital edition since you already have a disc drive you 'should' be able to just pop off the dead console and into the new one.

Mystic Ryan swapped out the disk drives from two new slim Ps5's (Spider-Man 2 & MW3 bundles, am jealous btw) and so long as you are connected to internet, the swapped drives will simply Re-Register to the 'new' Ps5.

Kudos to $ony, seems the registering bit is about DMCA for blu-ray movies and not $ony's fault.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mystic Ryan swapped out the disk drives from two new slim Ps5's (Spider-Man 2 & MW3 bundles, am jealous btw) and so long as you are connected to internet, the swapped drives will simply Re-Register to the 'new' Ps5.

Kudos to $ony, seems the registering bit is about DMCA for blu-ray movies and not $ony's fault.

Yeah I just saw TronicsFix's video on it too. Weirdly he had a drive paired to two different consoles, although that seems like a bug and will likely get patched.

What sucked watching his video though is that it does demand you update the console to the latest firmware in order to use the disc drive. This isn't just bad for someone sat on a lower firmware digital who gets a drive after saving up money for one. But when he went to reset the console it first unregistered the disc drive (which currently isn't needed for it to work on another console, again might be a bug), and then it asked if he was sure about resetting the console. (his was done while online)

So if you even click that option by mistake, or decide you changed your mind about resetting the console, now you need to update the firmware if you want to use your disc drive again...if we ever get cfw on this firmware then that could most likely patch out this need to update/register the disc drives for use, but as it stands I think I'll give this a skip and wait for whatever pro model we'll eventually get.

Hopefully they'll also learn again as they did with the ps4 and put the disc drive chips on the motherboard so you don't have to mess about if a disc drive breaks.

HellGhast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Yeah I just saw TronicsFix's video on it too. Weirdly he had a drive paired to two different consoles, although that seems like a bug and will likely get patched.

Yeah I also watched TronicsFix but I assumed the "double paired" drive was connected to the same Psn account on both Ps5's...But I don't think he had signed in...infact drive registration may not require a Psn account...so yeah possibly a bug or an oversight, hopefully they don't patch it out.

What sucked watching his video though is that it does demand you update the console to the latest firmware in order to use the disc drive.
This isn't just bad for someone sat on a lower firmware digital who gets a drive after saving up money for one...

Mandatory update just for blu-ray movie drm pairing sucks balls, probably just malicious programming to also force us to update like you had pointed out previously.

Mystic's Ps5 was on firmware 7.40 making that mandatory update especially painful since the Fl0w himself says do Not update coz his Bd-Jb exploit works up to 7.61 but is patched above 8.00

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps5s-latest-firmware-6-50-webkit-vulnerability.624753/

Screenshot_20231112_032123_Opera Touch.jpg

Kernel exploit is unfortunately up to 4.51 but I think 7.61 could be useful to hackers to do the sandbox escape and poke around, maybe the likes of Sleirsgoevy could find another Kexploit.

So for someone like me wanting to sit and wait for a slim jailbreak 7.40 could be perfect...but I need to pair the drive inorder to play my purely physical collection.

...But maybe I too should wait till 2024 when this Pro Ps5 supposedly comes out, since last year I knew for certain that the rumors about a detachable drive Ps5 were real coz it's more economical to manufacture just one sku.

But I did not believe $ony would make a Pro Ps5 so dismissed the Pro rumor, but now I think maybe $ony will capitalize on their momentum of +47 million Ps5 units sold vs x-bot paltry 20 million series x and s combined sales, and use that hype-train to sell Pro P$5

pineapplewitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like you've come across photos of the new detachable disk drive for the PS5, and you've mentioned a video link for a teardown. If you have any specific questions or if there's anything you'd like to discuss about it, feel free to let me know!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +1