PS5 slim disc drive working without 1-time authentication?

JGSM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, I have a quick question, but let me explain the background first.
I bought a brand new PS5 slim on ebay yesterday. The stickers on the lid of the box were untouched. I opened it, did the whole initialization thing, set up an internet connection, but did not update my firmware.
I heard that the disc drive must be authenticated before you can use it, and to do this you have to be on the latest firmware. I'm still on firmware version 8.0, but I managed to install and play 2 disc-based games.

Now the question is: Did something unusual happen, or is it just not true that you have to be on the latest firmware to authenticate the disc drive?

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
i mean, they likely allow it to work out the box because you may not have intenernet and just want to play some games, or simply test it before gifting, so out the box it works, but if you marry a new drive that isnt preconfigured out the factory then it would ask to activate, or swapping the drive out

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i mean, they likely allow it to work out the box because you may not have intenernet and just want to play some games, or simply test it before gifting, so out the box it works, but if you marry a new drive that isnt preconfigured out the factory then it would ask to activate, or swapping the drive out
I think it only needs activating if you bought a slim and then added a drive on separately.

As you say they should come pre-paired as a “disc edition console”.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto