Hardware PS4 controller on PC...impressions?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
More and more games of my steam library are built for a 360 controller input (or rather: an Xinput device). While I have a couple of those things from my actual xbox360, they require their special dongle to use it on a PC. Getting one of those has always been a 'maybe later'...probably because these adapters don't seem to be supported that much anymore*.

But with the PS4 controller, things become more interesting. More specifically the trackpad that's on the center of that thing. I've seen some youtube movies explaining how to set up the PS4 on PC and even use that trackpad as the mouse, but I'm not entirely sold yet. Just because I can use a PS4 controller on a PC doesn't make it the best option yet. So here are some basic questions (for those that have tried it).

Once installed, how much work is it to plug in/pair and unplug/unpair the device before and after gaming?
Can it (that is: a dual shock PS4 controller) be used both over bluetooth and with a USB cable?
Does the controller actually charge when plugged into your PC? (I assume so, but I'd rather ask this for certainty than ending up having to buy a PS4 to charge it :P ).
Is there any input lag when using xinput (over bluetooth)?
What's your impression of the 'mouse emulation' of the PS4?

And so on. I'm not sure how many here have even tried this, but if so...I'd gladly hear it before getting one. :)

Some random links and vids:
how to use a PS4 controller in windows
PCmag article
youtube tutorial
youtube tutorial 2

*the fact that devolution doesn't seem to support it and the things only draw power over USB isn't a plus either.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Once installed, how much work is it to plug in/pair and unplug/unpair the device before and after gaming? Little to no work at all. When using Bluetooth, you only need to pair it once with the software. For USB, you just plug the controller in with the software opened.
Can it (that is: a dual shock PS4 controller) be used both over bluetooth and with a USB cable? It can connect via bluetooth and USB (of course, not at the same time).
Does the controller actually charge when plugged into your PC? (I assume so, but I'd rather ask this for certainty than ending up having to buy a PS4 to charge it :P ). Yep.
Is there any input lag when using xinput (over bluetooth)? The input lag is similar to any other bluetooth controller.
What's your impression of the 'mouse emulation' of the PS4? I've never used it, since it's practically pointless for gaming since y'know...analog sticks. But from what I've seen, it works just fine. The most you might use it for is switching between games if you're a fair distance from a mouse/keyboard.

And so on. I'm not sure how many here have even tried this, but if so...I'd gladly hear it before getting one. :)

Some random links and vids:
how to use a PS4 controller in windows
PCmag article
youtube tutorial
youtube tutorial 2

*the fact that devolution doesn't seem to support it and the things only draw power over USB isn't a plus either.
Answered your questions in bold in the quote ;)

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper < This is the official page for the DS4 to XInput Wrapper, this is the best place to get it. It's simple to install (open up SCPDriver.exe, hit install and you're done) and you only need to have the SCPServer.exe open (which minimizes to the notification area) to connect the controller.

I use my DS4 controller for everything that requires controller inputs and I've never had any issues with it, it's quite a nice controller.

Reactions: Taleweaver

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks for the reply. Went out and got it, and it's everything you said it was. :D

Well, except the bluetooth. That gives an error (index was out of bounds of the array), but that may have been the cheap-ass bluetooth dongle I have lying around.
Perhaps it's worth mentioning that the original program is no longer maintained and forked into 1.4.28, but 1.2.2 is still the base for the actual program.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
that wrapper is old though. download this better, is a fork of that one and has plenty options. I use it because is the only that I know you can map the touchpad button as the Xbox360 "Back" button and play as in the PS4, then you can assign the free "share" button to print screen or F12 for Steam screenshots.

Reactions: CheatingSoi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up