PS3break and X3 Max Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by OSW, Jan 1, 2011.

Jan 1, 2011

PS3break and X3 Max Review by OSW at 6:58 AM (3,545 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. OSW
    OP

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    [​IMG] PS3break and X3 Max Review
    Official GBAtemp Review
    [​IMG]

Welcome the first official GBAtemp review of PlayStation 3 jailbreak devices! Prefaced by an introduction to the PS3 scene, we take a look at both the PS3break and X3 Max, two jailbreaks that allow you to unlock the homebrew and backup loading potential of the PS3 console! Are these devices worthy competitors? Who comes out on top in a comparison of features and design? What does the future hold for homebrew, linux and the buzzing PS3 scene? Read the article to find out!

[​IMG] PS3Break & X3 Max Review

p.s. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2. ultimate.fake.ac

Member ultimate.fake.ac GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Happy New Year! [​IMG] The PS3 scene really has been a buzz since 27c3, with good reason.

3. OSW
    OP

Australia
    Definitely!! I can't wait to see what happens [​IMG]

4. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    it seems like both these are equally good but the updating software for x3 max seems scarier... i would go for the ps3break (or wait for the amazing hackers)

5. OSW
    OP

Australia
    It does look a little scary, but you just need to ignore the bottom part.

Payloads (kinda like firmware updates) are in hex format usually. X3 programming tool supports almost all the hex payloads, no matter what device they are compiled for.

On the other hand, the PS3Break tool only supports a limited number of hex files (only mhex actually it seems). PS3Break owners must thus rely somewhat on the speed of the PS3Break team.

This is quite important as you want to have the latest payloads ASAP for game compatibility purposes.

The other two main advantages of X3 are
    - Team has better reputation/ is more innovative
    - 123K flash memory (it is unknown if this will be useful at any stage)

It gets a gold award because it has everything you need and more (i can't think of any way they can improve the device)

It's a personal decision whether to wait for fail0verflow, and you can only speculate when backuploading will become possible from fail0verflow (they don't support piracy, the primary goal is linux)

6. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Firstly, happy new year,

Secondly, had to skim through the review very quickly (only looked at the pictures) so 1 question - does it have USB loading?

I have one of the original 40Gb PS3s which can't hold anything for shit.

7. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Doesn't team Fail0verfl0w's recent announcement pretty much make these devices obsolete? I know they haven't released any code yet, but if they're claims are true (which there is little to doubt, since they have no financial gain from it, unlike other devices/reviews lol) but if what they say to be true, then this device is a total rip off and your better off waiting.

8. DarkFocus

Member DarkFocus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    they've actually released there source code.... and fail0verfl0w doesn't run ripped games and they don't intend for it to do so. also piracy is bad, homebrew is good so yes it makes these obsolete because you shouldn't be pirating in the first place....

9. OSW
    OP

Australia
    Yes! USB or Internal HDD only!!!

10. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    Oh thank god. I was just about to give up on my PS3.

EDIT: Oh wait, even an external wouldn't last very long, IIRC the freaking save itself for GTA IV is 14Gb!

11. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    Here is hardly the place to say that piracy is bad. Anyway, if the source code is released then Backup Managers signed with the key should follow. (meaning you can use them on any PS3 I think.)

12. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    When? AFAIK They haven't released anything. Their website is still under construction too. And if it does give full or near to full access to the complete system, then whats stopping people from using FailOverflow to run warez? Just because the team doesn't officially sanction it, doesn't mean others can't do it either. Just look at the Wii and The Homebrew Channel, its the first step for warezing it up.

13. sputnix

Member sputnix GBAtemp Fan

Bangladesh
    If they released the source code people will have it run ripped games, it just a matter of when