Ps3 usb

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Subzero100, Jun 5, 2012.

Jun 5, 2012

Ps3 usb by Subzero100 at 5:24 AM (538 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Subzero100
    OP

Member Subzero100 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What exactly do you need to run ps3 backs ups.

2. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    An NTFS external hard drive, or Fat32 or an iPod large enough to hold a game.

If your PS3 is on an older Firmware thats good, but if you have been on PSN in the last 6 months or so (not sure I stopped paying attention to the PS3 a long time ago) your all done with flashing a CFW, unless you are fine with soldering like 16 wires to downgrade your firmware.

Search on Google for a PS3 program called Multiman its a back up manager and will probably on the home page have all the info you need.

3. Subzero100
    OP

Member Subzero100 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    oh i heard about this thing called cobra usb i thought that's all i needed, but besides that can the games be backed up to disc? I wonder if this is all really worth it for 2 or 3 games, because i defiantly want to check out naughty dogs game and the new game by who ever made quantum whatever.

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Console related:
    1. you need a PS3 with an OLD firmware (up to 3.55). Starting from 3.56, you can't install a custom Firmware anymore.
    2. If your console is OLD but has an up to date firmware (4.xx), you can downgrade with a modchip but only up to the original firmware sold with the console. (if you bought a 3.56 console, you can't downgrade to 3.55).
    3. You can't buy a new PS3 and downgrade it to fw3.55.

Custom firmware and dongle:
    1. You need a custom firmware to launch unsigned homebrew (like Game Manager, media players, games, etc.)
    2. Some Dongles (like Cobra or True Blue) require a Custom firmware too.
    The dongle are only additional unlockable that simple custom Firmware can't provide. But dongle alone are not enough.

You need either :
    - custom firmware 3.55 : Play old PS3 Games only.
    - custom firmware 3.55 + dongle : Play old PS3 games, + specific options (cobra can play PS1/PS2) (True blue can play newer games)

Game related:
    Custom firmware are running on firmware "3.55".
    You can't run NEW games which require 3.60+ firmware (such as "naughty dogs game and the new game by who ever made quantum whatever.") unless you have a tru blue dongle + a patched game file.

Though, I'm personally against True blue dongle.
    I don't recommend it.
    but it's currently the only way to play newer games.

HDD related:
    You can't play with a NTFS drive.
    Only FAT32 is compatible with games.
    NTFS is only usable to transfer game, but not to play from it.