Tutorial  Updated

Ps3 UART control YLOD error finding tutorial

Have you ever wanted to know why your ps3 is ylod so you can fix it? well now you can with this simple guide here is the github repository: https://github.com/db260179/ps3syscon

and here is a link to the guide which I will be elaborating on some points in this thread:https://github.com/db260179/ps3syscon/blob/master/PS3-Uart-Guide.pdf

so first things first setting up the software side you can do this on windows or linux or mac ill be using linux for this tut. There are 2 types of systems and this will determine which python you need ps3_syscon_uart_script.py supports old ps3s like the cok-001 (cecha01) etc and ps3_syscon_uart_script23.py supports software models like the slims. We will use python 2 in this instance because its becoming a pain in the ass because it is outdated. You are going to need 3 softwares besides python 2.7( py serial,py crypto and pycrptodome) now these apparently need the pip command to install and this is where I got stuck because linux will no longer allow old versions of pip and the repository was moved. you can weget it or use curl from this link:https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py. Once you have it rename it to getpip.py.1 then type getpip.py.1 in the terminal and it should install, than you can get py serial and all the rest easily once you get it all installed you can install putty as per the github instructions. Now this is another part that is not clarified in the instructions. Make sure your ps3 is OFF I mean no lights so back switch or unplug. now plug in the uart to usb into your usb port and type dmesg. if it shows up at the bottom as /dev/ttyusb0 and gives the name of the device than its recognizing it.

First we will be using external commands (you need to, to get into internal) now you dont need to use putty but if you want to, open it up and go to serial at the bottom type 57600 in for speed and leave everything else alone. now go to the first option on the left hand side an click on serial connection an use /dev/ttyusb0 as the connection and make sure the rate is 57600 there too and click save now click open. Now a command window should open and if you turn on your ps3 ( red lights literally just flipping switch on the back or plugging it in do not press the on button) is should show r3a:000000(means your ps3 is connected).

To get into external type python ps3_syscon_uart_script.py /dev/ttyUSB0 CXR you should get the >$ sign now in the terminal.

so now we can do external commands type AUTH (if you get invalid or something you should swap the RX and TX wires on the ps3 weird but it works) and your syscon should authorize you for commands now you can do some commands if you want like ERRLOG GET 00 but what we really want to do is get into internal because it has more commands and you can get the errlog and even boot the ps3 and see where it fails. So in external we want to type the command: EEPGET 3961 01 should give 00000000 00. now we want to change this to get into internal. EEPSET 3961 01 00 now the boot flag at 01 is 00 and we can go to internal mode unplug or switch the switch at the back of the ps3 on and off.

Now we have to rerun the script but in a different mode cxrf this is the internal rate

redo the command: python ps3_syscon_uart_script.py /dev/ttyusb0 CXRF. type auth after 10 seconds and it should auth after a few seconds. Now if when you turned on your ps3 it beeped 3 times and the power button doesn't respond this is where the slightly confusing bit comes in (doesn't happen to everyone)
the guide does explain how to do this but some clarification would have been amazing when I did this.

so in the guide it says do command eepcsum you should get:
>eepcsum
addr:0x000032fe should be 0x528c
addr:0x000034fe should be 0x07115
sum:0x0100
addr:0x000039fe should be 0x0038
addr:0x00003dfe should be 0x00ff
addr:00003ffe should be 0x00ff
So there is an error which is why we get 0x0100 ( its an error and the table is messed up and we need to fix it.)
so in the guide he runs
>r 3900 ff this is probably the table we need to fix but you can check them all if you want. his table is:
+0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +a +b +c +d +e +f
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - ---
ff BF ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
31 40 11 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
02 00 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff 02 < this is the number that is different however in my table it was the correct number 38 which made me very confused

all the addresses tell you what they are supposed to be so now we run
>r 39fe 02
it should be 38 00 the numbers in the table are backwards : addr:0x000039fe should be 0x0038
now in my table was addr:0x000039fe should be 0x0f38
so I would have to change my 39fe 02 from 38 01 to 38 0f
^ this number is just how many numbers in the 39fe it will show you type ff instead of 02 to show the whole table.
so now you just write your value to the table
>w 39fe 38 0f this value is specific to your ps3 do not use mine or the one from the guide.
just make sure all the numbers at these addresses
are equal to the should be.
addr:0x000032fe should be 0x528c<
addr:0x000034fe should be 0x07115<
sum:0x0100
addr:0x000039fe should be 0x0038<
addr:0x00003dfe should be 0x00ff<
addr:00003ffe should be 0x00ff<
so to make sure type
>r 32fe 02 should be 8c 52
>r 34fe 02 should be 15 71
>r 39fe 02 should be 38 00 < this is usually the one that is wrong make sure you check this and set it to the value on YOUR ps3 not the one in this guide
r 3dfe 02 should be ff 00
r 3ffe 02 should be ff 00
now when you type
> eepcsum you should get
addr:0x000032fe should be 0x528c
addr:0x000034fe should be 0x07115
addr:0x000039fe should be 0x0038
addr:0x00003dfe should be 0x00ff
addr:00003ffe should be 0x00ff
the sum x100 is gone now so the table is fixed and your ps3 will boot turn your ps3 off at the back or unplug and rerun the script: python ps3_syscon_uart_script.py /dev/ttyUSB0 CXRF
type auth
and you should be able to turn the ps3 now but of course it will ylod because yours is broken type:
>bringup press enter twice and you should get the bootlog and why it yloded here are all the error codes: https://github.com/db260179/ps3syscon/blob/master/Syscon error log codes.pdf

to get the entire error code table type
errlog.

now have fun and fix that ps3!!

Last edited by peepy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ending to the fallout series was lame could've gave us a bit more