ps3 system can't launch after hard drive format

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by mrissaoussama, May 17, 2016.

1. mrissaoussama
    OP

mrissaoussama Hiuhbi32

Nov 23, 2015
    yesterday i got a black screen after i run multiman (not game just the app).so i thought of formatting the hard drive from my pc, but after i opened it and press the PS button, i get a system can't launch correctly error.
    i still can get to the safe mode, i thought about updating the cfw, is that correct?
    i have a slim ps3 and the error screen says i have to update to 4.75 or higher

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Formatting the HDD is a terrible idea. Half the firmware is on the HDD the other half on the NAND/NOR.

You basically need to reinstall the C/FW you were on back to the HDD before you can use it again, however it looks like you were on a higher version that 3.55 (naturally) so good luck with that.... Probably going to need a flasher, but perhaps there are newer techniques?

Head over to PS3HAX and search the forum for answers: much more likely to find a fix, I haven't been into PS3 for a while so I cannot assist more here.

3. PattyFatty

PattyFatty Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Google around for 999 Downgrade firmwares.
    Make sure you read up on how to use them.

4. kevin corms

kevin corms Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Do you have the pup file for the firmware you were on? If so just install it from usb. If it's a slim model the right usb port works best. You can probably download some other cfw pup and use that instead. I've been through this before, sometimes the ps3 was a little fussy about the usb stick but it eventually worked.
    Don't try any downgrades or anything like that, make sure you don't have a game in the system and the system is offline (terrible first advice guys)

Last edited by kevin corms, Sep 29, 2016
  5. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    Just update it to CFW above 4.75 then use the 999 downgrader as stated above.

6. kevin corms

kevin corms Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    Why would he downgrade?

7. Zero72463

Zero72463 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 27, 2016
    United States
    He obviously messed something up. Better to restart then to leave it.