PS1/2 PS3 Still worth getting ?

Myre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So i've decided to spend to some more money on gaming to get into the HD consoles etc. As i've only been pirating the DS and Wii for the past 2 years. Question is with the PS3 being about 3 years old now and the Wii and X360 being even older, should i still consider picking up a PS3 ? (or X360 for that matter, just liking PS3 more atm).

And lastly any reason you would strongly advice to pick up a X360 instead ?
Note: not going to pirate with a X360 anyway and i like the free PSN instead of the paid XBL. Also i've been living under a shell except for Nintendo products the last few years so i don't know anything about these systems really. Doing research on both systems as we speak but i thought i would ask for some help on the boards aswell.

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
First i recommend you to check out the games that are exclusive for each console.

Xbox 360 got Halo, Forza ect (Dont know any more
tongue.gif
).
PS3 got LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Gran Turismo 5 (When its released), Killzone 2, Heavy Rain ect.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well as you said your not gna pirate on the 360 then you might as well go for the PS3.

the only reason why i got a 360 was because i could pirate on it.

Mind you, both are great, no matter what graphics or HDMI or whatever all that crap is that comes from them

And all the crap you here about Live being better since you pay for it is somwhat inaccurate, i have both (well used to up until i got banned from live) and the only differnece i saw between the 2 was that Live had somewhat a faster response. Things felt quicker but as in in game lag it was exactly the same for both.

what DEagleson said should be taken into consideration. Look up the exclusives for each consoles and see all the games (the exclusive ones that is)

Both are really good consoles, like eveything else they have their ups and downs. Just depends what's your taste (as in games) and if your willing to pay (360 is the the Live fee which mind you isnt that much)

Myre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm looked up some exclusives for both and there's nothing game breaking on both of them for me atm. There's LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted for the PS3 and Banjo-Kazooie and Fable for the X360. I've only played B-K (on N64) and Fable (on PC) so X360 exclusives seem a bit more interesting but who knows i might enjoy the PS3 series more.
As far as exclusives i'd still say X360 hasn't convinced me yet.

Oh and Demon Soul's is PS3 exclusive as far as i know ? Seems like an awesome game.

As for friends it would probably be like 60 - 40% for PS3.

But i forgot about a big problem. I have an old bulky TV with just RYW, not even SCART.
This will probably ruin my chances at getting any of these systems at all.
I know it works without HD but then again i could stay with my Wii and happily pirate some more.
I'll look up some HDTV prices or doesn't the PS3 look like a Wii/PS2 without HD ?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I got a PS3 for

Demon's Souls
3D Dot Game Heroes
Valkyria Chronicles
Last Guardian
Tales of Vesperia (lolimported)
And free online.

Besides, if you have a good PC, 360 doesn't have nothing. If you buy the 360, enjoy your Mature games for Mature gamers such as yourself.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a ps3 and I'd say get a 360. Most games have lower load times, less glitchy, and don't have mandatory installs.
Borderlands and fallout 3 have very noticeable differences between versions. Mandatory installs get really frustrating whenever I get a game and have to sit there and watch a bar before I can even play it. Plus some of the xbox stuff is really cool like 1 v 100.

Myre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well i've got a pretty good PC atm (nearly a year old now). But PC gaming evolves way too fast imo.

It's more convenient to have a good console with great graphics, good online play, no (system) lag and a lasting time of at least 3-4 years (from launch).
Instead of a good PC which will be a mediocore PC within a year anyway. And i'm buying a laptop in the next few months (with a minimum cost of €1000 for my study).

So as for PC gaming (or X360 exclusives for that matter?) i'm pretty set for the coming time.
And i will probably always keep my PC upgraded just because lol.

As for which console i'm probably just picking the PS3.

PS3, free PSN, more friends, more exclusives i like and i've got a good experience with PS2 and it's games.
Which brings me to backwards comp. which should be possible for PS2 with a software update on the PS3 Slim i've read and is possible with PS1.

X360, some exclusives i like (but someone said they can all be played on a PC?), some friends have it.
And some little cons as paid XBL and no user experience (which isn't really a con).

And last but not least what about SDTV + HD console it's worth it or should i just consider getting an HDTV first ?

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, i don't have a PS3. I have a 360, so this may sound biased, but i'm just giving you my opinions on it
tongue.gif

I personally adore the 360 and the Xbox Live community.
XBL arcade games are great, and even though you pay for network usage, it's solid.
I've been liking what Sony's been doing though with the PS3 Library. It's grown and has become very solid.

Personally, i'd say get a 360, but that's because i like the online aspects of the 360 more than what i've seen/heard about PSN. But, again, i don't have a PS3.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can go wrong with either system, get the one that has games you want to play, or the one that your friends/family play.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
The PS3 only just got interesting!

Honestly, for me the Xbox 360 has been a clear winner for the first few years (not counting the Wii). The PS3 was expensive, didn't have that much exclusives and most games ran better on 360 hardware! The difference between 360 and PS3 is getting slimmer and slimmer, the PS3's priced at a fair price and there are a lot of good exclusives.

You should definately get a PS3 or 360 when you like gaming. The Wii isn't bad at all, but there are a lot of games worth getting. I personally really like the PS3, but you should make up your own mind. In my opinion, exclusives are the most important. Here are some interesting games:

Multiplatform (PS3/360, not Wii): The Orange Box (better on 360), Mirror's Edge, Unreal Tournament 3 (slightly better on PS3), Resident Evil 5
PS3: Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (both amazing games!), Heavy Rain
360: Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2

As I own a PS3, I might have forgotten some interesting 360 titles. I also don't care about a lot of games (Killzone 2 is a good example), so you will have to do some research of your own.

About the online feature: first, decide whether you're willing to pay or not. On the PS3, you can play online for free. A lot of downloadable content that you have to pay for on 360 is free on PS3. I haven't had any problems with it.
If you really find online gaming important and want all of the extra features, like voicechatting with your friends regardless of the game your playing, go for a 360. Xbox Live isn't that expensive if you care about it.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I got all systems and I love them all actually. They all got something the other one doesn't. Although I have been playing more ps3 lately (uncharted 1/2 and god of war collection), but that's probably just cuz my 360 got banned recently...planning on buying a new one and flash it with the newest flash or whatever i gotta do to be able to go online with backups =D. But anywho it all boils down to which exclusives you want.

And if that doesn't help you decide then there are a few more factors to think about. The ps3 has free online and you have to pay for the 360...the only downside i think with the ps3 online is just that the friend menu's and other things just aren't as "pickup and play" easy as it is for the 360. Although a menu change would pretty much solve that problem...if they ever make one...

Then there's ofcourse the blurayplayer you get with the ps3 which is always good if you have a high definition tv and want to get the most out of it. Hmm...well yea i guess that's all i can think of that's worth thinking about when choosing one of'em xD. Good luck =P

acturus

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
i have all systems, the ps3 is the only one that gets regular play though. i finally turned my 360 this week (mass effect 2) for the first time in probably six months, due to the lack of quality games coming out on it. i think the ps3 is a better value, since it has a bigger quality selection and blu-ray compatibility. but it all comes down to what you want to play. PS3- uncharted, mgs4, demon's souls, god of war, infamous, warhawk, lbp. 360- fable 2, gears of war, mass effect

Myre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok so about the price, X360 + XBL or PS3 it's more or less the same but now this guy above me said something about X360 being able to be pirated and played online ?
If so in an easy and reliable way like with the Wii i'll pick it lol. Otherwise i made up my mind to get a PS3.

But can you please help me with my TV issue.
SDTV + HD console = PS2/Wii graphics ?
If yes, HD console + PC screen possible to put out 1080p ?
If no, HD Ready vs Full HD TV in terms of graphics ?

Myre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've bought a PS3 Slim, 24" Full HD Screen, MW2 and Oblivion.

Started saving again for some more games. Any recommendations ?
Looking into LBP, Uncharted 2, FFXIII and the R&C series atm.
But i'm sure there are way more awesome games i'm forgetting about or i don't even know of yet.
And any good PSN games everyone should own ?

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Myre said:
I've bought a PS3 Slim, 24" Full HD Screen, MW2 and Oblivion.

Started saving again for some more games. Any recommendations ?
Looking into LBP, Uncharted 2, FFXIII and the R&C series atm.
But i'm sure there are way more awesome games i'm forgetting about or i don't even know of yet.
And any good PSN games everyone should own ?

Motor Storm and Valkyria Chronicles, spring to mind

WShep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure it's Motor Storm Pacific Rift if you want decent graphics. Also consider Borderlands (for two player coop on the same machine, though the story line is weak) and Fallout 3 GOTY. I'm looking forward to White Knight Chronicles, the 360 port of Star Ocean, and Fallout Las Vegas as well.
yay.gif

Myre

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Already played Fallout 3 and Borderlands on a PC. Valkyria Chronicles seems nice.

I'm just looking for some variety in gameplay.
I've got Oblivion and (soon) FFXIII for RPGs.
MW2 for shooters. And (soon) LBP for platformers.

So that leaves open anything else really. Like adventure - Uncharted 2 etc.

But just also note which games i absolutely have to own regardless of genre.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Myre said:
Already played Fallout 3 and Borderlands on a PC. Valkyria Chronicles seems nice.

I'm just looking for some variety in gameplay.
I've got Oblivion and (soon) FFXIII for RPGs.
MW2 for shooters. And (soon) LBP for platformers.

So that leaves open anything else really. Like adventure - Uncharted 2 etc.

But just also note which games i absolutely have to own regardless of genre.

Demon's Souls. The only truly good PS3 exclusive out there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: hi