PS3 Softmod Guide - cFW3.55

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials' started by Zorua, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Thanks a lot! [​IMG]
    I'll be updating it with all custom firmwares and backup managers tomorrow.

2. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    I am happy that someone made a FAQ but theres a problem with it. CFW is like CIOS it contains copywrited material therefore you cant be linking it... then again patching OFW is really easy...

3. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

A mod has read through the enitre guide so I don't think that it's illegal here.
    Also, this is a guide, not a FAQ.

4. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Updated the guide with all available custom firmwares. Full list of backup managers in some time.

5. buffdog

buffdog GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    thank god for stickies
    mod sticky thread plz

6. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Thanks. [​IMG]
    Glad you like it.

7. ben_not_benny

ben_not_benny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canada
    Great guide.

Off topic question: If someone was to buy a brand new PS3 from a retail store today, what are the chances of it being on 3.55 or lower?

8. sergster1

sergster1 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New York
    25% Go buy one off ebay or craigslist and ask the seller when he or she bought it. If its before november ish it will have 3.55 or lower

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I've not heard of ANY retail PS3s shipping with 3.56 so far. Then again, LG have prevented Sony from shipping PS3s to Europe for a while. Sony sued LG and now LG are hitting them back big-time.

EDIT: Ok, now I have. That was a month ago, so I would guess there's another couple weeks until most retailers run out of stock with older FWs.

10. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f118/3-55-out-...s-3-56-a-80118/

11. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Well, it's better that you cover how to patch the firmwares manually. The cfw creation is not that hard, just download the official 3.55 and run batch command to patch the firmware to cfw.
    Please update your first post to replace this part for all the available one. Let me know if you don't find a patching method for any of them, I have the .patch for waninkoko v2, Kmeaw, Hermes, Wutangrza.

I recommend using Zouzzz's Custom Firmware Maker 1.5 (it's a GUI for Bsdif patcher made especially for the cfw. It apply the wanted patch for 3.55 or 3.41 cfw).
    Plus it checks the MD5 after patching to be sure the firmware is not incorrectly patched, which will be a brick reason.
    .Net framework 4.0 required.

There's also another copyrighted problem, so far only very few homebrew are really legal. We should only post the ones created with PSL1GHT SDK.
    There's only 1 backup manager using it, and it's the one from Hermes. other backup managers shouldn't be linked on GBAtemp :/
    I'll talk about it with the other mods and the admin to know the position of the site regarding these files.

For Waninkoko v2, you say "flash at your own risk", but it should be told for every custom firmware.

you gave multiMAN ver 1.16.03 as the base for this tutorial. there's already another version, and like you know, there a new one almost every day. You should refrain using the version number in the tutorial.
    If possible give a link where the user can find

I think you'll make a GUIDE 3 - Managing backups, right ?
    for the moment, there's nothing on the payloads and how to dump or play a game.
    note : Waninkoko cfw already include a payload, so there's no need to run one before the backup manager.

I think File factory is a crappy file hoster, many link and confirmation and wait time.

Your guide says to replace CA24.cer, but I think it's CA27.cer which needs to be replaced.

I think the 3.56 spoof is not needed for PSN access. Can someone confirm that?

12. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Replacing CA24.cer was the practice for F-PSN 0.3, although IIRC, it started using CA24.cer and CA27.cer. I stopped caring when 0.5 came out, so I didn't keep track.

13. ben_not_benny

Apr 25, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks. I've read that the Killzone 3 bundles are shipped with 3.50. I'll pick one up before they're gone [​IMG]

14. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

You've heard wrong. It's highly unlikely because Killzone 3 just came out.

15. ben_not_benny

Apr 25, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canada
    Some confirmed it was on 3.50 when they bought it. I'll take my chances. If the worst happens I'll just have it returned.

16. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

I'll update the guide with all your recommendations tomorrow. Thanks for going through my guide!

17. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    ok, thanks [​IMG]

If you go with Zouzzz tools, I think you should also explain how to patch the firmware to cfw manually, for people not wanting to install .net framework 4.0, and for people not on windows.
    Also it seems it doesn't allow patching of geohot's cfw, I don't have the patch files, but I think it still can be found.

I would personally move the Guide1 Step2 & 3 (multiman & ntfs) in the future Guide 3 - how to use multiman (or "game manager")
    Maybe you could put each Guide in a spoiler tags to make the post looks shorter (it's just an idea).
    What do you think about this?

Let me know if you need any help.

There's currently no user's report. Do any Tempers followed this guide yet ?
    Is that easy to follow, or hard to do a specific step, etc. ?

18. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    There is now a f*ckPSN 0.6, which supposedly helps with console ID spoofing. However, it just doesn't seem to work for me, because I kept getting a 800710D23 connection error whenever I tried to do anything. Looking up on Google, it did not seem to be an error indicating a ban (I've yet to even receive the warning email from Sony yet, since I've not actually been running hacked games either - I just want to be able to sync trophies and go to the storefront for demos and stuff).

F*ckPSN 0.5 still works fine however.

19. lzyslckr

lzyslckr Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2010
    United States
    I have a question on installing the CA27. Whenever i installed in filezilla it say overwirite and in the ps3 the file size is 0? is that normal?

20. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Are you using 0.5? If yes, then you need to replace CA24.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted