PS3 Softmod Guide - cFW3.55

Discussion in 'PS3 - Tutorials' started by Zorua, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DJPlace

DJPlace The Hater of Sony Censor Ship!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    if i wanted to do this how big should be my usb drive just to install it not play back ups? also i just want to play psone games with this is that possbile with this or no?

2. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Around 200mb. Also, yes you can play psone backups with PSX emulator.

3. DJPlace

DJPlace The Hater of Sony Censor Ship!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    nice thanks for the quick respond.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You should use http://rebug.me/ URL or at least http://rebug.me/?p=412 for the spoofer link.
    As stated in their readme present in their archive many time, they don't want direct linking or another website providing the file.
    They need visitors to their website or they will stop doing PS3 stuff.
    (I'm editing your guide to change the link)

Please follow every authors wishes when they specify it (even if it's hard to create a guide with many different website to visit).

You removed the fuckPSN part, but I think the spoofer alone is not enough to connect to PSN. The spoofer only prevent the notification of the new firmware, it doesn't rewrite the SSL headers. (I can't test it myself, I'm still on ofw3.41).

My FAQ was only a starting point, feel free to add other users useful question like DJPlace one :
    Q. how big should be my usb drive just to install it not play back ups?
    A. Around 200mb

PS : I'll see this weekend to do something about GUIDE3 and file transfer through ftp.

5. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

I'm pretty positive that it lets you log on to PSN. I've checked many sites like psgroove and the comments say that it works.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    oh, ok then.

So it removes the need of SSL header rewriting for the version spoofing, but it doesn't rewrite the console ID so I think it's best to still use fuckPSN or Charles. (well it's only a protection, up to the users to decide if they want the ban protection)

7. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    i updated to 3.60 is there any way to get the 3.55 custom firmware from there?

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    No, sorry [​IMG]

There's no way to downgrade to 3.55 if you updated past it.
    3.56 and 3.60 can't be downgraded yet.

Question added to the FAQ. (work in progress).

9. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

I've added the FAQ and fuckPSN instructions.

10. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    There a link missing in the fuckPSN part.
    "download blind, etc. from here"
    maybe point to drizzt's website ? http://gaia.psfree.net/fuckPsn/
    Though, he is providing the original certificates in case the user deleted CA24 & 27 instead of doing a backup, but it should fall in the copyrighted files even if all console owner already have them. [​IMG]

11. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Fixed.

12. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I forgot that after every firmware update, the PSN is accessible for anyone from any firmware version as long as you skip the update message.
    So maybe Rebug Spoofer is only used to skip the update message, allowing PSN for the moment.
    We will have to wait 10~15 day until Sony block the PSN access again, then see which program or cfw still work.

Edit :
    for people who didn't understand, the DNS trick alone is working, like after every new firmware update (changing the DNS IP in the connexion setting).

13. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Ok. I'll update my guide as soon as we're aware of which program will work. [​IMG]

@Everyone, Rebug 3.60 Spoofer works atm. If you want console id spoofing, install FuckPSN as well.

14. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I created batch files to patch the firmware manually, and I made the guide part for manual patching for people without .Net framework 4.0 (like me [​IMG])

STEP 0: CREATING A CUSTOM FIRMWARE
    Manual patching:
    1) Download CFWM v1.5 and the batch files.

2) Create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'CFWM' and extract CFWM1.5 content inside this folder.

3) In CFWM folder, create a new folder called 'Original_3.55_FW', or 'Original_3.41_FW' if you want to install Hermes cfw3.41 on your PS3.

4) Place the downloaded OFW 3.55 (or 3.41) inside the created folder.

5) Extract the downloaded cfw_batch_filesv1.zip inside CFWM folder.

6) Double click on the Batch file corresponding to the cfw you want to create. Follow the instructions and check that both MD5 hash are matching at the end of the process.

7) The patched cfw is now available in the corresponding folder.

NOTE: Waninkoko 3.55v2 can't be extracted from CFWMv1.5, You need to download it here and extract it into the 'tools_3.55' folder.[/p]

15. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Thanks a lot!

Added. [​IMG]

Have you seen a faster update? [​IMG]

16. ben_not_benny

ben_not_benny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canada
    Does the new version of Multiman still require a disc inside the drive for certain games? I read on the changelog that "Removed prompt/requirement for BD game disc when launching BSG’s" and I'm unsure what that meant.

17. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Is it too much trouble just to keep a token game in the console at all times?

EDIT: Since when did GBAtemp use smart-ads for shoptemp?

18. ben_not_benny

ben_not_benny GBAtemp Regular

Apr 25, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canada
    No. I don't mind keeping a game in the console [​IMG]

Just wanted the clarification that's all.

19. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Nope, for most games it works without a game in the drive. Some games do require it though.

EDIT: 900th post!

20. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    I noticed that you give the MD5 CHECKSUM for OFW 3.55, but not the SHA-1. It's probably insignificant to triple-check once the double-check checks, but I don't believe that adding this would hurt either. Just a suggestion.