Hardware PS3 Slim 1Terabyte HDD stuttering, HDD too big?

e398

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I recently had issues on my PS3 slim. I got a seagate 1TB HDD. SOME games have stuttering on cutscenes like Tales of symphonia which i tried using an extracted version of the game and building an ISO file just to be sure. OKAMI HDD also stutters on cutscenes too and it is a PSN install. Recently my Omega Boost ps1 game had stuttering on the music but after the rebuild database trick it vanished. But with these games the rebuild database trick or restore file system just wont work. What is happening here? Is the HDD too big? Do i need a 7200 rpm HDD?

e398

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It only happens with these new additions, i think i swapped the HDD last year its not an old drive, i bought it new. Should i remove the HDD and check with the crystal app?

yeshuachrist

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well the only piece of sound advise I can give, don't assume the harddrive is bad, for just a few isolated incidents, especially if the problem is just simple studdering on a few selected games!

Wipe the harddrive and do the very slow formatting to fat32 (paragon partition manager...or similar), then reinstall those trouble games and see if there is a problem .................. your drive maybe fragmented, especially when dealing with a big harddrive, its best to not delete any games, some like the harddrive has some fragmented spots? worth a try, but if your problem is solved, continue to reinstall everything!

(one of the vita updates forget which, made the nba/nfl games studder in the videos .................. now the thing that will really mess up your day, is if you had this harddrive and installed a firmware update or firmware downgrade ................... then everything seems to make sense!) (i understand you are dealing with the ps3 not the vita, but, its the same company your dealing with, and this is probably just a software issue in special circumstances, with updates specifically)

Last edited by yeshuachrist,

e398

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well the only piece of sound advise I can give, don't assume the harddrive is bad, for just a few isolated incidents, especially if the problem is just simple studdering on a few selected games!

Wipe the harddrive and do the very slow formatting to fat32 (paragon partition manager...or similar), then reinstall those trouble games and see if there is a problem .................. your drive maybe fragmented, especially when dealing with a big harddrive, its best to not delete any games, some like the harddrive has some fragmented spots? worth a try, but if your problem is solved, continue to reinstall everything!

(one of the vita updates forget which, made the nba/nfl games studder in the videos .................. now the thing that will really mess up your day, is if you had this harddrive and installed a firmware update or firmware downgrade ................... then everything seems to make sense!) (i understand you are dealing with the ps3 not the vita, but, its the same company your dealing with, and this is probably just a software issue in special circumstances, with updates specifically)

I was planning to copy these problematic games to an external Fat32 drive to give it a test.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
I know im late with this post but here I am testing why the hell PS3 stuttering on a brand spanking new hdd.

the new drives are all tested on pc prior plugging it on ps3, passed on all test, specially with hd-sentinel read/write test (destructive test, it will destroy any data on the drive, well its a new drive so it doesnt matter).

the new 1tb seagate mobile drive works fine, but it stutters on some games, like wtf is going on, after some digging on other forums (took me an hour(s) to find a somewhat lead why it was causing this) that is not related on PS3 of some sort. New drives today are now formatted with 4k sectors and this does affect legacy OS such as Windows XP or older, this OS will experience stutter performance. So OK, now I found a lead, I scavenge some old laptops that still have a old Hard drive on it, found a old sata3 500gb hdd that is not 4k (advance formatted hdd) formatted, test it on hd-sentinel before plugging it on ps3, all passed ok. Proceed on PS3 swap drive on a 500GB one and guess what, the issue is immediately gone. No more stutters.

I also tried a another drive which is also 4k formatted drive from western digital, that stutters like hell as well.

so yeah in conclusion. HDD with Advance Fomat (4k sectors) will stutter on PS3. Just look for a old 500GB HDD since most of them are still on 512b sector format, that should work just fine on ps3 without stuttering.

superlateedit:

if you guys want to test if your AF/4k sector drives are stuttering, just iplay beyond two souls digital version, you will see how unplayable it was using the AF/4k sector drives. use a old 500gb drive that is not AF/4k issue is gone.

Last edited by remlei,
Reactions: Spadezilla

Spadezilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know im late with this post but here I am testing why the hell PS3 stuttering on a brand spanking new hdd.

the new drives are all tested on pc prior plugging it on ps3, passed on all test, specially with hd-sentinel read/write test (destructive test, it will destroy any data on the drive, well its a new drive so it doesnt matter).

the new 1tb seagate mobile drive works fine, but it stutters on some games, like wtf is going on, after some digging on other forums (took me an hour(s) to find a somewhat lead why it was causing this) that is not related on PS3 of some sort. New drives today are now formatted with 4k sectors and this does affect legacy OS such as Windows XP or older, this OS will experience stutter performance. So OK, now I found a lead, I scavenge some old laptops that still have a old Hard drive on it, found a old sata3 500gb hdd that is not 4k (advance formatted hdd) formatted, test it on hd-sentinel before plugging it on ps3, all passed ok. Proceed on PS3 swap drive on a 500GB one and guess what, the issue is immediately gone. No more stutters.

I also tried a another drive which is also 4k formatted drive from western digital, that stutters like hell as well.

so yeah in conclusion. HDD with Advance Fomat (4k sectors) will stutter on PS3. Just look for a old 500GB HDD since most of them are still on 512b sector format, that should work just fine on ps3 without stuttering.

superlateedit:

if you guys want to test if your AF/4k sector drives are stuttering, just iplay beyond two souls digital version, you will see how unplayable it was using the AF/4k sector drives. use a old 500gb drive that is not AF/4k issue is gone.

well damn i'm glad i read this before i bought a 2tb drive!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it