PS3 HDD Upgrade

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by lukands, Nov 14, 2010.

Nov 14, 2010

PS3 HDD Upgrade by lukands at 1:31 AM (729 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. lukands
    OP

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    Upgrading my HDD, I have heard mixed reviews, mostly overheating issues with higher speeds. Any opinions???

2. codezer0

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Well, it's simple laws of physics regarding the rotation speed. a faster rotation speed for a mechanical hard drive means lower seek times, but it working faster means it's generating more heat.

Your biggest problem regarding a hard drive in the ps3 is the interface limitation. It's a big reason why putting an SSD in a ps3 doesn't do jack for load times, and in some cases even makes it worse. the bottleneck is in the ps3 itself in handling it, so there's no sense in putting a faster hard drive than necessary in the console.

That being said, if you can afford to get a model with a larger buffer cache, do so. That at least would overcome the time it would take loading or writing data to the disc.

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    From what I've heard a 7200 doesn't have an advantage over a 5400 (like codezer0 said, the PS3's limiting), but I have yet to see conclusive evidence.