PS3 HDD Upgrade Qs

Discussion in 'PS3 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by squizzy, Feb 15, 2011.

Feb 15, 2011

PS3 HDD Upgrade Qs by squizzy at 9:47 AM (876 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. squizzy
    OP

Newcomer squizzy Member

Australia
    Hi Guys,

I am about to upgrade my PS3 40GB to a 750GB Internal HDD, and was wondering if
    all i have to do is.
    1. Backup Data to usb stick.
    2. Take out the old 40Gb
    3. Install new 750GB HDD
    4. Let the PS3 Format HDD
    5. Install the USB and copy Backup Data back.

Is that all i need to do? As I'm running CFW 3.55 atm.

Thank you

2. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Yes and if anything goes wrong...
    ... put the 40gb HDD back in!!

3. 75UR15

Newcomer 75UR15 Advanced Member

United States
    Make sure you have a full backup of your saves, and you will need the update file for the ps3 (equal or higher than what the system has now). Once a new drive is installed (as I understand it) the previous drive is "unusable" without reformatting (haven't put my old drive back in but that is what I was given to understand). Also, if you have a SATA II (3.0 GB/s drive) make sure you set the jumper (if your drive has it) for SATA I (1.5 GB/s) operation....it will stop your drive from having those "unable to find drive" problems. It doesn't happen often, but it is as annoying as hell when it does (can't restart by remote/controller...have to manually power down restart).

Explanation
    as it was explained to me the ps3 sata controller inside is limited to 1.5 operation, and if the drive starts up before the ps3, it starts in II mode and won't be recognized by the "old" controller. Normally the system starts before this happens and "imposes" the sata I limitation and everything works fine.