Ben_j

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nintendo-gamers.net
XP
Country
France
I just sold my XBOX 360 controller. I used it on my PC, and it was great to have the controller already mapped on nearly every game. I'd like a wireless controller now, and the PS3 one seems like a better choice since I don't need to get an extra adapter to use it.

But will the controls be mapped like with the 360 controller, corresponding to the PS3 version of the games ? Will the buttons X, O, Square etc appear on screen just like with some games with the 360 controller (for example in tutorials, when they say "to talk to people, press A", that kind of shit) ?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No. The Xbox 360 controller thing for Windows is unique to the 360 controller as it has native built-in drivers for it and games were made to support it. If you want you can setup the PS3 controller to read as a 360 controller by using software like Pinnacle Gaming Profiler or Xpadder.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ben_j said:
Thanks for the answer. I actually found better : wireless x360 controller + receptor for only 35€
You could just get the cheaper USB wired 360 controller if you want to.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The wired is much, much better. I've heard that the wireless one has issue with recognizing the triggers and the receiver can blow out usb ports.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The PS3 controller is actually really easy to set up. You can use a program like Joy2Key, or a program made specifically for the PS3 (using a program like that makes it a little easier to setup). You can even do it wired with a regular mini usb to usb wire (which almost anyone has).

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
The wired is much, much better. I've heard that the wireless one has issue with recognizing the triggers and the receiver can blow out usb ports.

WOW microsoft!
mellow.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you get anything other then an Xbox360 controller for the PC, you will have only trouble, that's the truth.
The PS3 controller surely it's nice, but you can't go and remap everything with something like joy2key and expect it to work flawlessly.
Most PC games out there and surely most future games have a great implementation of xbox360 controller.
I mean control set up is already done and every button works as expected ( like the d-pad navigates menus, start is like enter etc...).
Any other controller will suck, because even though you manually setup the buttons, you still won't be able to use the controller to the fullest.
Another nice thing is that when you connect an xbox360 controller to the PC, the game recognizes it and displays the corresponding button on screen during tutorials and in menus.
Whether is a Logitec, or Sidewinder or whatever it will just suck.
LOL even if you remap the PS3 controller buttons with something like joy2key or xpadder on a game that already has gamepad support it will just conflict with the real controls and you won't be able to properly use the analogs.

The only valid solution is actually an application called xbox360 controller emulator, which basically tricks your games into thinking that you are using an xbox 360 controller instead of whatever you are using, but you will need to assign each button in the config file to the right value otherwise it's gonna be all screwed up. And it doesn't work with every game, there are several version of the emulator which fix compatibility with various games.
But once you get it running, it's fantastic in a sense that your PS3 controller will work very well and all the buttons correspond to their equivalent on the xbox360 controller.
I have a PS2 controller with an USB adapter and I play PC games like this, but it's always an headache to make each new game work with it.
So compatibility being what it is,plus a kind of difficult setup, it really is too much trouble to put up to when you could just get an xbox360 controller.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ben_j said:
Minox_IX said:
Ben_j said:
Thanks for the answer. I actually found better : wireless x360 controller + receptor for only 35€
You could just get the cheaper USB wired 360 controller if you want to.

Did you read ? I said that I had to sell it
smile.gif
Did you read? I know you had to sell your 360 controller, but in the post I quoted you were thinking of a wireless 360 controller plus a receiver which is what I responded to.
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mario and Luigi's Bowsers inside Story