Gaming PS2 to PS Vita

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even on the fastest phone out today, it still lags in most games. I wouldn't use damonPS2 though as I've heard it be buggy, and full of adware, even in the paid version.
is there any possibility to run linux on android phone? maybe test pcsx2 from there (however impractical it sounds)

horokeusama

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I’m purchasing a computer in a month, I’ll try and learn how to do so.

Any tutorials on how to do so? I know it takes tons of time, unfortunately all I have is time. I’m willing to give it a chance
I know you have the best intentions but that's not how it works. As someone said before, having the actual game files doesn't mean you're able to recompile it, since you don't have the source code. And even SO you'd need resources, time and knowledge beyond what a single person can have in a reasonable time to port a ps2 game by yourself. There isn't a "Save As... ps2" button in some magical software that makes this task easier to accomplish.

There are even entire COMPANIES (like Panic Button and Bluepoint) that focus on porting games to other systems.

Also, if porting ps2 games to Vita was easier, there'd probably be enough ports done by random people with more programming knowledge than you.

But to end my argument in a good note, if you're interested in porting games, study some language (like C++) with your new PC.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which snes and gba emus you mean?

SNES9x 2010 runs pretty accurately, but at ~ 40 fps
SNES9x 2005 plus runs accurately but with occasional slowdown and glitches
SNES9x 2005 is generally my goto emulator but suffers from glitches
SNES9x 2002 has the best overall performance but doesn't support some hiRom/fastrom games and is kind of glitchy

the newest GPSP update on retroarch pretty much fixed the speed on all gba games (from what I've tested), but it introduced some new bugs -- possibly with the bios.

BelcherKid0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you’re willing to spend the time and headaches, you can use Ghidra to decompile/disassemble pretty much anything (This was done with Super Mario 64, and I believe Diablo as well), although you may have to code your own plugins to extend Ghidra’s capabilities. So yes, it’s technically possible, but certainly not practical. If you have the willpower to see something like this through, you’ll be praised. But I think it’s safe to say most people would give up long before a project like this is even close to finished.

RedL

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you’re willing to spend the time and headaches, you can use Ghidra to decompile/disassemble pretty much anything (This was done with Super Mario 64, and I believe Diablo as well), although you may have to code your own plugins to extend Ghidra’s capabilities. So yes, it’s technically possible, but certainly not practical. If you have the willpower to see something like this through, you’ll be praised. But I think it’s safe to say most people would give up long before a project like this is even close to finished.
And then there are performances issues :D

BelcherKid0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And then there are performances issues :D

Well we’re talking about porting, not emulating. So while there might theoretically be a few minor performance issues in the unlikely scenario anything like this actually happens, PS2 games theoretically shouldn’t be unplayable! Again, because it would be a port, so a good deal of the code would be re-written and optimized for the Vita. Look at the Sly Cooper, Jack and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank collections! They’re all playable! There’s proof right there that PS2 games can be ported to the Vita and run mostly okay! Of course, this is all theoretically, as it’s very unlikely anyone in the would be willing to pretty much reverse engineer PS2 games to run on the Vita.

Raiom12323

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well we’re talking about porting, not emulating. So while there might theoretically be a few minor performance issues in the unlikely scenario anything like this actually happens, PS2 games theoretically shouldn’t be unplayable! Again, because it would be a port, so a good deal of the code would be re-written and optimized for the Vita. Look at the Sly Cooper, Jack and Daxter, and Ratchet and Clank collections! They’re all playable! There’s proof right there that PS2 games can be ported to the Vita and run mostly okay! Of course, this is all theoretically, as it’s very unlikely anyone in the would be willing to pretty much reverse engineer PS2 games to run on the Vita.
So what you can say about the ports that we have now? The flow did some ports, did some one knows how he did it?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: SubLoverD

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So what you can say about the ports that we have now? The flow did some ports, did some one knows how he did it?

GTA source code was reverse engineered from binaries and then published on github. TheFlow &co massaged the source to compile on vita devkit and produce working executable & resources. The guy who originally published GTA code goes by hande aac.

Last edited by lwiz,

Wickedchew

Masks Works..Wear it!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am not against your knowledge (I really like these),maybe someday you can be the NEW flow or rinnegemante, but those guys are beyond god in Hacks scenes, and they even team up. porting android games to PS Vita is so sweet.. plus their jobs are really into computer C++, but hopefully you can achieve it. but the roads into it..its quite cruicial. hope for you the best

SirT0astt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m purchasing a computer in a month, I’ll try and learn how to do so.

Any tutorials on how to do so? I know it takes tons of time, unfortunately all I have is time. I’m willing to give it a chance
It's completely possible if you wanna rebuild the entire game from scratch. If you were to go to unity spend who knows how long, you could totally "remaster" it for vita. However, you'll end up spending tons of time and effort for one game at a time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY