flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello all,

just wondering if you can do the freemcboot exploit with an AR Max without the max media player. I bought one from ebay (specifically found one with the max media player) but was sent the wrong one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as i would prefer to use this disk.

I have a ps2 slim (75xxx) and may have access to a ps2 phat if needed.

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
gosh its been so long since i modded my ps2 i can't remember.... i actually used gameshark and disc to put on independence and hdd loader .... do a search in forums here and if not I can guarantee a little google action and you will have more than enough info tutorials and walkthroughs to do whatever you want to the ps2.... have fun and good luck

flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Google has not been my friend on this adventure. But i believe in the sticky for PS2 mod i may be able to use the old way of doing the mod to acheive my goal.

Ill post the results.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Really... the easiest way to do this mod is with another memory card that has it... no swappin or whatever anyway you can contact me in private maybe I can help you. I have seen some memory card on ebay(UK) also this is (i think) a better investment.

flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So first attempt was no luck. So much info out there but not enough explainations (ie. get a .elf file and rename it to boot.elf but i have no idea which .elf file to use and so many possibilities).

I will try again tomorrow. Need to take a break.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
flipt said:
So first attempt was no luck. So much info out there but not enough explainations (ie. get a .elf file and rename it to boot.elf but i have no idea which .elf file to use and so many possibilities).

I will try again tomorrow. Need to take a break.

Use Ulaunch as your boot.elf.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does the disc you have allow you to save and restore savegames? If yes, you can create an (independence) exploit for one ps1 game disc and copy it to your memory card. If you start that ps1 game with the memory card inserted, it launches the .elf file you included in the exploit.

.elf files are comparable to .exe files on windows. And i agree, you should use ulaunchelf there, as it allows to launch other .elf files. To install FreeMcBoot you need some way to launch its installer, which is a .elf file.

I hope i helped a little.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The Independence Exploit has been patched on the Slim PS2 so you'd need to use the chubby PS2 to use that method.

flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone, i appreciate the replies, been researching everywhere on this exploit and each tutorial adds a bit but it feels like none are quite complete (most likely just authors with diffrent opinions). One thing i did read was i need to change the name of the exploits exported save file (the .xps file) to a .max file which is named the same as the system configuration file currently on my mc. Is this correct?

Still no luck booting the exploit though, found a few things i made mistakes on, firstly i was unable to get the game id from the game throught my cd drive, so i entered it manually but did not realize the format had to be XXXX_###.## which caused me some problems im sure. Resolved that now im working on getting freemcboot running. when adding the freemcboot files to the exploit, do i just add the free_mcboot.elf file or do i need to also add the ESR.elf file at the same time?

Once again thanks for the help everyone.

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already have ulaunch running, to get freemcboot up and ready, just dl the 1.8b noobie package and copy it to a flash drive, then browse to ur flash drive using ulaunch, and run FREE_MCBOOT.ELF. U need to add both FREE_MCBOOT.ELF and the INSTALL folder. ESR is really really useful, unless you don't plan to play backups with burned DVDs...

flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ahhhh, thanks justinefremlouw, i was only adding parts of it. I do not have uLaunch running yet but when i do i will now be prepared.

Off to try again today, lets see how this works.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You need to rename the savefile as system confg, yes. But you need to convert it and not just rename it.

And again i would use ulaunchelf as .elf for the exploit and run the installer from there.

flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, so much hope, not much success.

I copied my system config to my flash drive transfered to pc (was a folder with two files) and then created the .xps file with ulaunch as the .elf (the one that comes standard with the exploit). I used saveconverter0.8 to convert the .xps to a .max file. I then copied the file to the flash drive as well as the freemcboot.elf and the install folder.

first attempt i just copied the .max file to the mc. Started my psx game but no luck (with and without holding R1). I then removed those files and tried uncrushing the .max file to my mc, started my psx game but no luck (with and without holding R1).

Kinda unsure of what I am missing. Maybe the game i am using is not compatible (ff:Tactics) or i have missed a step somewhere. Any ideas?

omgmog

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
omgmog.net
XP
Country
You can't mod the PS2 Slim with just a regular AR Max (non EVO/MMP), because there is no way of loading the .elf files, and the PSX save exploit is patched.

If you get an EVO you can do it, because you launch your .elf file from the MMP part of AR Max.

I'm currentl in the same situation as you flipt, and from what I can tell the best thing to do is to get a FAT PS2 and use that instead.

I'm currently waiting on a friend to bring over his FAT PS2 to swap with me.

If you have a FAT PS2 you can do the PSX/ARMax (non EVO/MMP) exploit to load uLaunch.

Some useful guides I've found and have been using:
- http://ashholt.googlepages.com/ps2softmod
- http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/armax2.php

hope that's useful to you
smile.gif

flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was hoping all the stuff i read was not true. But alas the masses have spoken I guess. Gonna borrow a friends fat ps2 and give it a go.

Thanks.

flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I want to tell you all i appreciate all the help that was given. After trying on a fat ps2 (it took a few tries as i kept messing up the save file) I have been successful in softmodding my ps2.

I guess trying to work around the tried and tested path does not always produce results but it was not a total loss, I understand what i have done much better and learned a new thing or two.

thanks all for the help once again.

(ps. do all games load slowly? or is it just some?)

Edit: crap, i spoke to soon, tried in my ps2 slim and no go... booourns.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does the fat ps2 have a modchip? Does one or both ps2 show additional menu options now? Did you patch your discs?

flipt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WiiPower, thanks for the reply:

The fat does not have a mod chip, I do see additional menu options on the fat ps2 and it does load the games I used as a test (patched game on dvd).

I am sure i did the multiplatform version but it was quite hard to read the options. Might be that i did select the wrong menu options (I picked the second option in the menu accross the top).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Meta what's @Psionic Roshambo onlyfans password