PS1/2 PS2 Slim - Trouble with Component Video through a Component -> HDMI converter

ItalianGamer97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so here's an explanation for my situation:

I was given a bigger TV by my mom, which originally belonged to a friend of hers. Last year I had upgraded my PS2 from using composite cables to component cables from Insten, which worked fine on my old TV, but here's the problem: My old TV had Component video ports built-in, while my "new" TV doesn't have any component video ports.

So I thought I'd remedy my new TV's lack of component video ports by buying this converter off of Amazon a few days ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077XS61S2/

After setting up the converter and playing a bit of Spiderman 2 and Sonic Heroes on my PS2 to test out the converter, it seems to work well... for the most part.

The main issue I'm encountering here is the following: For roughly 1 to 2 seconds, the screen turns black and the audio stops on what feels like a random, unpredictable interval.

I'm fairly certain I didn't have any random blackout issues on my previous TV, but I'm only facing these random blackout issues now with the 'new' TV and the converter.

I'm planning to keep my HDMI game consoles connected to a single HDMI switcher I bought years prior, and I tried connecting the converter's HDMI end to both to the HDMI switcher and the new TV's own second HDMI port, and switching between the two spare HDMI cables I had laying around. Unfortunately, nothing I did seem to outright fix the blackout issue.

Now if it's the converter's fault, I'm legitimately contemplating returning the thing and trying a different option for connecting my PS2 to HDMI. I've got until January 31st, 2020 to return the converter if I can't fix whatever's going on with it.

Some assistance regarding this would be greatly appreciated!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have any optical inputs on your tv or receiver? that's how I have mine setup. audio only goes through optical to my receiver, so there's no sound from the tv. I have a pretty antiquated tv and receiver, so I've been trying to get audio going through my receiver by using hdmi strippers, but it causes the input to change suddenly without warning, so it makes gaming with it impossible.

Reactions: Alexander1970

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've tried many component converters and they are all so fussy and don't like low quality signals that the PS2 outputs.

Just buy a PS2toHDMI dongle. I bought one for my PS3 and it works great on my PS2 as well... as good as a PS2 can look.

I personally use S-Video for PS2 (and Dreamcast but that is a whole over can of worms) and convert it to HDMI with a retrotink2X and that looks best for me on my TV but YMMV.

Last edited by MrCokeacola,
Reactions: Alexander1970

ItalianGamer97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have any optical inputs on your tv or receiver? that's how I have mine setup. audio only goes through optical to my receiver, so there's no sound from the tv. I have a pretty antiquated tv and receiver, so I've been trying to get audio going through my receiver by using hdmi strippers, but it causes the input to change suddenly without warning, so it makes gaming with it impossible.

I gave the ports on my new TV a closer look, and I do have a digital audio out port. Dunno if that's the same kind of thing.

I've tried many component converters and they are all so fussy and don't like low quality signals that the PS2 outputs.

Just buy a PS2toHDMI dongle. I bought one for my PS3 and it works great on my PS2 as well... as good as a PS2 can look.

I personally use S-Video for PS2 (and Dreamcast but that is a whole over can of worms) and convert it to HDMI with a retrotink2X and that looks best for me on my TV but YMMV.

So lemme get this straight... All converters like the one I bought are naturally weird with PS2 component output? Okay...

I did a bit of testing by having my PS3 output to the component converter via the same cable I used for my PS2, and from the brief testing I did with it using the PS3 version of Sonic Unleashed, it never had any blackout issues whatsoever.

I had a bit of a big brain thought: If the component to HDMI converter's fussy with direct output from the PS2, then why not put the PS2's component cables through some sort of distribution amplifier? Then again, that's probably the most harebrained scheme I came up with in an attempt to salvage the converter I got.

If all else fails, I could either use it as part of my setup to record PS3 footage once I get a capture card, or I could use it with my VCR + DVD combo unit to get a better picture from it.

Although I'm wondering if anyone else had better luck with getting PS2 component to work through a component to HDMI converter without random blackouts.

Reactions: MrCokeacola

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I tried a rebranded version of the adapter you used and it also had random image problems with my PS2 so I sent it back to amazon.
Most of those Chinese converters use bad filtering to progressive output and/or introduce a lot of input lag with bad image reproduction in HDMI.
The best solutions nowadays are a retrotink for everything up to 480i and an OSSC for everything up to 1080i.
For the price difference the OSSC has the better value imo but they are still over 100$...
At the same time citrus3000psi is working on a HDMI mod for PS2 which will have the absolute best quality with digital to digital conversion but will also be certainly over 100$.

Last edited by Wuigi,

ItalianGamer97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a bit of an update: The blackouts are still sporadic, but it feels like they're becoming less frequent.

So... Here are the options I'm considering, and some comments regarding each.
  • Trying my luck with another Component to HDMI converter and return my current one
    • I'm unsure if a similar issue like the blackouts I'm seeing will occur with the one in the link, but I figured it might be worth a shot: https://www.amazon.com/Portta-N3CVRHP-Component-Converter-support/dp/B003VJ9RP6/
    • Would going for an upscaler make any difference in regards to the random blackout issue I'm facing? I was thinking that might be the case because the upscaler's processing would strengthen the PS2's video output.
  • Getting a PS2 to HDMI dongle or a similar cable
  • Getting a RetroTINK or an OSSC
    • To be honest, I'd lean towards getting a RetroTINK due to it being cheaper, but I'm only going to bite if none of the other options work out for me. I have the money for it, it's just that I'm not gonna spend it all willy-nilly.
Feedback in regards to what I should do would be greatly appreciated!

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Option 1 is just another cheap chinese converter that will probably not work. Any good name brand converter is going to cost you $50+.
Option 2 looks fairly ok I have one of those types of HDMI cables for my OG Xbox and it works pretty well just makes the picture a bit soft but looks very nice over all.
Option 3, well the RetroTink2X will probably not do what you want it to do. It can not convert 480p or even use that type of signal at all so it would only be useful for games that support 480i or 240p over component. Cause as I said I use s-video which only outputs 480i.

Hope this helps.

AdrianClark1hv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
It seems to me that the problem is in the converter. Perhaps it overheats and stops working for a certain period of time to cool down. Perhaps you should create active cooling for him, which may well solve this problem. If you can return it back to the store, then it is better to choose another model that is more thoughtful. I advise you to read this article https://ladi6.com/hdmi-to-rca-converter/, so you can choose the best option for yourself. When I had connection problems, a converter from Wonlyus helped me a lot. I hope you solve your problem. Good luck!

Last edited by AdrianClark1hv,

Aew4life

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine looks playable on my 4k lg with composite cables no lag not insanely blurry guess I have a good scaler in my tv.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Made in China is back to what it was in the 80s lol