PS1/2 PS2 exploit with FMCB region

Deleted member 177877

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, i've just installed the independent exploit with free mc boot yesterday, seems to be working properly, and have some questions:

1. currently, I boot with cogswap or cdloader. Should I opt for ESR? What's the difference besides having to patch first with ESR? (better compatibility, etc)
2. I have an NTSC-U console, will NTSC-J burnt games boot with cogswap/cdloader/ESR? if not, can the game be converted to NTSC-U?
3. If I do patch the game with ESR, will it still boot from cogswap/cdloader?

I realize some of these questions are covered in the sticky, but they seemed to be unconfirmed suspicions, and i just want to clear it up. Thanks in advance.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Why would you want the independence exploit if you have Free Mcboot? Seems like a backward step to me. One is dependent upon a PSX trigger disc to get to a single boot.efl whilst the other isn't and takes you to a menu of apps.

Just use FreeMcBoot and ESR with ESR patched ISO's. It's the superior option, and far more up to date than what you appear to be currently doing.

Deleted member 177877

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tell me then, how does one install freemcboot into the memory card without an exploit/swap magic? either way, now i have both installed, i can access one using the other, so its really no problem.

I believe that doesn't answer any of my questions, but thanks anyways.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
But there's absolutely no need for the independence exploit...your post appears to indicate that you went from FMCB to the Independence Exploit/PSX trigger disc set up which is a retrograde step. ESR patched games work irrespective of original region, and of course using a non swap method (insert and boot with ESR) is preferable to a swap method.

Deleted member 177877

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, so with ESR, I don't even need to convert PAL to NTSC first before patching and burning, right?

BTW, you got it wrong, I went from exploit to FMCB, to be precise, I used GS2 to install exploit into MC, and then installed FMCB. Sorry if the first post is misleading, when I said "i've just installed the independent exploit with free mc boot", I don't mean I installed the exploit using FMCB, it was the other way around XD I was simply stating that I installed both 0.o

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
That makes a great deal more sense...i'm sure you can see where i got muddled from the wording of your first post.

And if your Television set supports the PAL standard (or i believe is an LCD display) then no you don't have to region patch them. If you get a rolling black and white display on boot you know then that your TV/cables aren't PAL friendly.

Deleted member 177877

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hahaha, yeah, I didn't realize I worded it like that, sorry ^^"

so if it's PAL, better just play it safe and use ntsconv?

btw, what about compatibility? ESR just as good or better than the ol cogswap method?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you know your display doesn't support the PAL standard then probably yes (although unless it's a PAL exclusive i'd always recommend the NTSC version) There's no definitive ESR list comparing the two....however ESR has a good compatibility and for the ease of a non swap method it would always be the first thing i'd try of the two methods you present.

If i were you i'd track down a Network Adapter and use an internal IDE HDD and HDLoader though, which is the best solution (and what i do!
wink.gif
).

Deleted member 177877

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, looks like some more trouble pops up. Apparently FMCB corrupts itself within hours of non use 0.o What I mean is, I play a game, turn it off, several hours later, when I turn on PS2 with the MC, it just goes to black screen instead of booting FMCB. I can fix this by deleting the FMCB from memcard, then reinstalling it, but it already happened quite a lot and I was wondering if there's a fix?

I'm using the 1.8b noobie package btw.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was wondering about softmodding my PS2 I have the old fat one so it should be modable but I have no idea how I would get the files onto my memory card without spending any money? do you know how I could do it?

I've read various guides but they haven't helped me that much

Deleted member 177877

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....is it that hard to make your own thread? btw, the answer to your question is it's impossible, you need either swap magic or a cheat disc (only certain ones work) which you have to buy...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?