Prosthetics Breakthrough Might Fuse Nerves With Fake Limbs

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I think we can all agree that losing a limb is a guaranteed way to ruin anybody's day. For the longest time, however, science fiction has offered us promises of a worlds where lost limbs could be easily replaced with robotic counterparts just as good (if not better) than the original.

Of course, seeing the bulky, crude prosthetics we have today, we're still a good way off from that goal. But thanks to a recent scientific breakthrough, we may be one step closer.

A replacement limb that moves, feels and responds just like flesh and blood. It’s the holy grail of prosthetics research. The Pentagon’s invested millions to make it happen. But it’s been elusive — until, quite possibly, now.​
The body’s own nerves are arguably the biggest barrier towards turning the dream of lifelike replacements into a reality. Peripheral nerves, severed by amputation, can no longer transmit or receive any of the myriad sensory signals we rely on every day. Trying to fuse them with robot limbs, to create a direct neural-prosthetic interface, is no easy task.​
But now a team of scientists believe they’ve overcome that massive barrier. Their research is still in the early stages. But if successful, it’d yield artificial arms and legs that can move with agility; discern hot from lukewarm from freezing; and restore even the subtlest sensations of touch.
Source: Wired

This is still in the testing phase, of course, and prosthetics still have a long, long way to go before we're all at Adam Jensen levels (whether or not we asked for it). Still, it's an encouraging step forward for the millions out there (including many veterans) who have lost their natural limbs; we're finally getting closer to making functional replacements for the real things.

Of course, it's also nice that I'm now also one step closer to achieving my childhood dream of cybernetic Godhood (Came right after "Fireman").

TL;DR

(Also, since it's kind of related, I found an interesting article on how technology like this, along with the advances being made in other fields, will change our basic definition of humanity. I'm sure some of you, if you're like me, have heard all this before, but it's still an interesting nontheless.)

Reactions: 4 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"But don't want to spend a lot of money."

Not sure how the state of using stem cells to regenerate is, but I whether that be the future if we have to go that way...

Oh, the second article talks more about the tech replacing parts,but other changes such as genetic alteration.

Like I was saying tho, I'm more kine to genetic alteration then tech implantation.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I love reading stuff like this. Imagine the possibilities!
I hope ethics and religious morals don't get in the way. This could be a world-changing evolution.

Reactions: 4 people

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's a somewhat related video involving real hands instead of prosthetics.

[yt][media]JgaMZT1Z2dw[/media][/yt]

Looks like were getting closer to what the movie The Island predicted. lol

fodderstein

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Are they gonna use metal parts for the limbs?
This is one small cell for man,one massive breakthrough for mankind,with some probability of it being very expensive.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prosthetics is evolving and that's great. Legs have gotten pretty far but it's the dexterity of arms that remains the largest issue as apendages go.
I recall a lady, who I think lost her arm in a motorcycle accident, who had a bionic arm. She could operate it by association with certain thoughts like the instructions our brain sends to our individual muscles to perform anything.
http://en.wikipedia....laudia_Mitchell

Reactions: 1 person

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I hope ethics and religious morals don't get in the way.
Are really saying you didn't care about morals and ethics at all around these kind of things? :(
I was just looking at "2057" on you tube.
this was more meant like anticipating comments such as "it was by the will of God that this woman lost her limb, who does this doctor think he is?"
also I hope that this could be used to augment the potential of a normal human body, eg. legs that run faster, possibility to jump higher, stronger arms, etc.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The ethic barrier would be when someone will ask to cut a healthy part of their body to get a better replacement.

Ill parts would be ok I guess, though doctors have their pride and will try everything to save it with conventional ways (chimio, surgery, etc.) even if that imply long years of suffering instead of helping patient earlier with newer technology.

I'm personally more for cybernetic parts than biological organ transplantation with strong and hard life treatment for anti-reject and psychological troubles.
Patient even don't support to "see" parts which are not theirs. The first hand transplanted person asked to remove it.
It's not happening when it's not visible (like heart, lung, etc.)
And I think it wouldn't happen with a mechanical body, it's not someone else organ.

About the article, What I fear is the maintenance of such parts. (two years life span?*)
It says that the material is porous to allow nerves to reconstruct and extend itself in the new body.
If you need to change that part, you would need to cut that new neuronal system?

*Ah, the two years lifespan was for neuro-implent.
The brain adapts and trains itself to integrate new elements located directly on it. It doesn't require nerves connection.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Awesome- I was thinking we would be heading further down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhggGSjXVg
before heading down this path...... perhaps a combination of the two is in order.

Anyhow wire me up for some games or better yet I want a third arm.

Reactions: 1 person

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope ethics and religious morals don't get in the way.
Are really saying you didn't care about morals and ethics at all around these kind of things? :(
I was just looking at "2057" on you tube.
this was more meant like anticipating comments such as "it was by the will of God that this woman lost her limb, who does this doctor think he is?"
also I hope that this could be used to augment the potential of a normal human body, eg. legs that run faster, possibility to jump higher, stronger arms, etc.
Why?
This would just take things like cheating in the olympics to a whole new level.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
This would just take things like cheating in the olympics to a whole new level.
I think contestants will be screened for enhanced superlimbs.

On the other hand, it might turn the paralympics on their head.

Reactions: 2 people

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm personally more for cybernetic parts than biological organ transplantation with strong and hard life treatment for anti-reject and psychological troubles.
Patient even don't support to "see" parts which are not theirs. The first hand transplanted person asked to remove it.
It's not happening when it's not visible (like heart, lung, etc.)
And I think it wouldn't happen with a mechanical body, it's not someone else organ.
The mechanical body may not feel natural and right to people with them, which can understand...

How 'bout taking your own cells and rebuilding parts of your body?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_OI4TtzlDw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro