Homebrew Programming languages

Shazzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just wondering about what programming language I needed to know in order to make a homebrew. I'm learning C# at the moment.

On that note, is developing with DevKitPro similar to developing with something like Visual Studio 2005? Or maybe Notepad? Those are the programs I'm used to.

Thanks in advance.

Shazzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are those much different from C#?

Like, do you start with

using System;

public class DSgame
{
public void Main()
{
}
}

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Working with consoles, the only choices you have are C and C++ (or assembly, but, no one is crazy enough for that).

Shazzo said:
Are those much different from C#?

Like, do you start with

using System;

public class DSgame
{
public void Main()
{
}
}

I find C# more like Java than C..

in C programs start with:
CODE#include

int main(){
}

Not much different..

Shazzo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm... I have enough trouble with C# as it is. Is there maybe a code converter I can download somewhere? Or can Visual Studio recompile code in a different language? That way, I wouldn't have to learn another language. One's hard enough...

I hope I'm not breaking the rules by asking for a program like this.

sadak5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
C# is a Hybrid program son of a .... crazy programmer who mixed the c++ (not C) language with the easiness of Visual Basic (VB is not hard to learn, but if you want tu use all it's power, it becomes a lot powerfull). I think if you know C# you can learn C++ (C->VB->C#->C++ is the order I learned them). There a re few differences between C# and C++ (example, the pointers in C# are class[.]Memorymethod, and in c++ are class[->]Memorymethod). You can program in Visual studio to respect the syntaxis (i think there is a way to import the libraries of devkitpro in VC++).

I'm a programmer who both works in VB and C#, if you have any question PM or send me an email.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically you can also use Java (VERY limited implementation, java4nds), Perl (through miniPerl in DSLinux) or BASIC (using DSBasic). But if you're trying to use DevKitARM to compile apps directly for the DS, you'll need to use C or C++.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Shazzo said:
Is there maybe a code converter I can download somewhere? Or can Visual Studio recompile code in a different language?
Sorry, you'll have to do this the good old fashioned way. Fortunately the thing about programming is that your first language is the most difficult, once you know how to think like a programmer picking up another language becomes a hell of a lot easier.
smile.gif
Don't expect results overnight or anything, but it can't hurt to try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol