Programing guide

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by cubone12, Jan 11, 2012.

Jan 11, 2012

Programing guide by cubone12 at 7:41 AM (1,495 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. cubone12
    OP

Newcomer cubone12 Newbie

United States
    Hi!
    Could anybody link me to a good programing tutorial or guid or something like that.
    Thanks cubone12

2. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Oh look, this thread again!

First, you've got to tell us what kind of programming you want to do, because there is no general programming tutorial out there, since there are so many platforms and languages to program in/for.

3. wasim

Member wasim ♫ Music addict ♫

India
    Wrong section,

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    You are not posting a FAQ or a guide to help other users, it's a request to get help from other users so you should ask in the computer forum, not the guide forum.

Wasim, just make a report so a mod can move it to the correct forum.
    I reported it, as I don't have power here.
    It will be moved soon.

1 person likes this.
  5. wasim

Member wasim ♫ Music addict ♫

India
    okAY. :)

TBH i didn't know about that.

6. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    There can be no general programming guide. There are a load of different languages with different syntax, different styles of programming (e.g. object oriented programming) and different applications.

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    The best programming guide I've ever come across was built into a certain game about brains.

A good place to start to learn basic programming (if you can call it that) is the HTML guide at pagetutor.com. Once you learn how HTML builds websites, you can move onto other object-based programming languages. That or just pick up a C++ for dummies book and work through the material in that.

In short, pick a language, buy the book, start playing around.

2 people like this.
  8. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    If you want to learn something really simple (yet still powerful in it's own way) go for Visual Basic. I am currently enrolled in a class for VB in my high school and it is just the easiest thing to learn. After that I'd suggest going to either Python, C++, C, or Java.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://learnproglang.couch.it/

(Seriously.)

10. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Not to be a dick, but if you want to learn programming, you're going to need proper spelling, because one single misspelled word in a piece of code can render the whole program unusable.
    Keep that in mind.

11. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    Don't forget whitespace, case sensitivity, special characters, etc

12. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Try this website: http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php. I've seen it in these forums before, so I thought I'd bookmark it when the day comes for me to try computer programming. There's C, C#, C++ and more. I heard that the guy making those video tutorials quit his other jobs and dedicated his time to making video tutorials only.

13. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    Java is a good place to start. It's easy to program for and cross platform.

14. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Actually, if you are going to make a coding mistake, spelling errors are the best kind because the compiler will catch them immediately thus making them trivial to correct (and sometimes even link you straight to the error i.e. devkitPro).

The worst type of errors are logic errors because the compiler will happily accept and run them without complaint in most cases. It can then take hours or days to find the problem depending on the type of mistake and the size of the program.

For instance, I once wrote a GBA program that was working fine on real hardware and Desmume, but crashed on gPSP Kai at random intervals. I searched for the error off and on for about a week until I just gave up and moved on. By accident one day while messing around, I found the my mistake: I simply over-assigned a single array by a single byte (a buffer overflow). The upper bound of the var. assignment loop that I typed was the one I meant to type, I was just careless in choosing the value. A logical, not spelling, error.

I'm not trying to encourage the OP to be a bad speller, but it's really more for establishing credibility while communicating with an audience (i.e. internet forums, teachers, or hiring managers) than a do-or-die requirement for good programming. In conclusion, spelling is still definitely an important part of other aspects of your life, so take it seriously, okay? :)

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    ... unless you're in a loosely-typed language. Then they're a bitch.

16. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    It's all fun and dandy that people give the OP links to certain more or less advanced guides, but we ought to also ask what he actually wants to program.

As it was mentioned before, there are the questions of language, platform and, well, the target application that we want to program. With general knowledge about programming, you won't ammount to much, meaning that you'll end up programming an Adder or something like it. What the OP should consider is making a definite choice as to what he's going to program, for what and with what language.

A C/C++ video game for the DS will inheritently have a different structure than a Java application for a mobile phone.

For a considerable period of time, BASIC was the language most commonly chosen by beginners. Nowadays it shifted a tier higher, to C and C++, and this is what I'm recommending aswell, as you can use C and C++ on just about any popular platform without much issues. Moreover, the structure of those languages is very straight-forward. You don't even have to know the particular details about the Standard library to actually program something - you have Intellisense for that.

Thing is, a structure of a C or C++ application can easily be "drawn" on a piece of paper - it's easy to draw a block scheme for it and it's easy to describe it on a piece of paper aswell, even without comments in the code (unless it's purposely ambiguous).

If you will end up choosing C or C++, I recommend to you:

http://www.cplusplus.com/ - a fantastic library refference that contains all the possible functions. Each function has a little programming example attached to it, as well as functions similar to the one in question mentioned in the appendix. It's a really, really useful tool when you're not quite sure "how" to do something but you know what exactly has to be done.

17. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    I am thinking of writing a simple html, css and php/mysql tutorial that would enable people to make dynamic (not with javascript or jquery though) pages. it will be simple and short but practical and depthy.

if u think its a good idea then please visit this thread and give ur opinion