Professor Layton - Puzzle 42 - WTF?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by dirtycarrot, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dirtycarrot
    OP

dirtycarrot Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2006
    I'm having trouble understanding the logic behind this puzzle - even in the hint, it says the camera price is $290, yet the answer for the puzzle is
    This all makes zero sense to me!

2. MaHe

MaHe one lazy schmo

Aug 4, 2006
    Slovenia
    Maribor
    Well, I'm talking on top of my head now, but here goes:

The price of case: x
    The price of camera: x + $300
    The camera price is $300 higher than the price of the case, therefore, altogether: x + x + $300 = $310

Now, some simple maths:

2x + $300 = $310
    2x = $310 - $300
    2x = $10 / :2

x = $5

The price of the case equals x, therefore it costs five dollars. You paid with a $100 banknote and must receive $95 of change. [​IMG]

EDIT: I never bought any hints here, so I wouldn't know. But the price of the camera is definitely $305.

3. dib

dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 1, 2004
    United States
    Step 1: you know it's not going to be $10, because that would be too easy and then it wouldn't be a puzzle.

Step 2: Assume that the case were $10. The wording says "the camera costs $300 more than the case itself". So that would make the camera alone $310, so camera + case would be $320.

Step 3: Since that's clearly too high, your next bet would be to reduce the price of the case as MaHe pointed out. Plug in $5, now the camera becomes $5+$300=$305. Add the case and you've got your $310.

Step 4: The answer is how much change, so subtract that $5 from $100. Pretty easy overall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice