saintvikki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I downloaded this kernel from the R4 website,as most of the new games I have wont work,and there are no other updates on the website. Anyway I followed the instructions on how to download and install the kernel,and now when I boot up my DS it says: coudn't find ds menu.dat.

Can this be fixed? Or will I have to buy a new card?

Thank you for your help.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
saintvikki said:
TrolleyDave said:
Try redownloading it from here and see if that works :

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2309

Do I select all the files in the zip and install them all on the root menu of the card?

Unpack them to a folder on the hard drive and then copy them over just to make sure that everything is copied over. Also sometimes the zip files have everything stored in a folder called English, if you just unpack the zip it could put everything in a folder called English on the card instead of the root.

saintvikki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
saintvikki said:
TrolleyDave said:
Try redownloading it from here and see if that works :

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2309

Do I select all the files in the zip and install them all on the root menu of the card?

Unpack them to a folder on the hard drive and then copy them over just to make sure that everything is copied over. Also sometimes the zip files have everything stored in a folder called English, if you just unpack the zip it could put everything in a folder called English on the card instead of the root.

It did put everything in the folder called English,even after I unpacked everything to a folder I made on my hard drive,but still it made a folder called English. I copied the files over to the root but still no joy,it still says couldn't find ds menu dat.

saintvikki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
It's either a bad R4 or a bad MicroSD card then I reckon. Have you got another MicroSD card you can try?

I don't have another R4 or SD card. Looks like I need to buy another card and SD card. Thanks for all your help,it's much appreciated.
grog.gif

Edit: Could you recomend another card? Thanks again.

saintvikki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
I've only ever used a R4 myself, the popular choices though are the Cyclo Evo and Supercard One.

I'm the same,I have only ever had an R4,though I am quite new to all this. Thanks for the recomendations though,I'll have a look into those ones.
cool.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Not a problem. I'm ordering a TopToy tomorrow, heard good things about them plus they're cheap enough to afford even on the dole! lol

saintvikki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
Not a problem. I'm ordering a TopToy tomorrow, heard good things about them plus they're cheap enough to afford even on the dole! lol

I'm in the same situation as yourself. It's not easy trying to find a job after being at college.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
saintvikki said:
TrolleyDave said:

I'm in the same situation as yourself. It's not easy trying to find a job after being at college.

I just live in a crappy area for employment, way past college age now. If you're skintish then the DSTT is probably a good choice for you as well. Using YSMenu you can make it very R4 like, but the DSTT get's updated and what not. As much as I love my R4 I don't think we're gonna see too many updates in the future.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
saintvikki said:
It did put everything in the folder called English,even after I unpacked everything to a folder I made on my hard drive,but still it made a folder called English. I copied the files over to the root but still no joy,it still says couldn't find ds menu dat.
As you are new at this and, your posts aren't too clear on what you have done, I want to make sure you are doing it right.

After you have unrar'd the R4 Kernel 1.18 to your PC, open the "English" folder to reveal:
_system_
moonshl
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS

This is exactly how the files should appear on your microsd after you have copied them across. Do not copy across the "English" folder. Perhaps, even format your microsd 1st, as well.

saintvikki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dark^'^Knight said:
saintvikki said:
As you are new at this and, your posts aren't too clear on what you have done, I want to make sure you are doing it right.

After you have unrar'd the R4 Kernel 1.18 to your PC, open the "English" folder to reveal:
_system_
moonshl
_DS_MENU.DAT
_DS_MSHL.NDS

This is exactly how the files should appear on your microsd after you have copied them across. Do not copy across the "English" folder. Perhaps, even format your microsd 1st, as well.

Ahh,see this is what I did..*Slaps head* Thank you for the reply. I'll give it a try and post back to see if it has worked.

Edit: I unziped them to the root of the R4,opend the English folder and had a look,the files all look like they should in your post. I am still getting the same promt as before.

How do I format the SD card?

Edit number two: Ok so i worked out how to format the microsd card,what do I do now?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 📚 🗒️ ✏️ 🤓 +1