Problem with PC

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Jakic007, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Jakic007
    OP

Jakic007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2015
    Croatia
    I have one interesting problem with my PC. Display is turning off every few seconds and it turns on again if I turn off and then turn on my monitor. I have tried with different monitor, PSU, GPU and RAM. What should I do next?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Try a different HDMI/DVI cable.

3. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    1. As suggested, try a different cable.
    2. Try cleaning the connectors for your video cable, both on the PC and screen side of things, and the cable ends as well for good measure. Dust and other foreign particles may be interfering with the video signal.
    3. If at all possible, try seeing if you can update your video driver. It may be a bug that could have been resolved. Alternatively, if it is on the latest version, try rolling it back if you can.
    4. Try opening your PC and cleaning the inside of it. The card could be dusty and making it go all wonky.
    5. Try resetting the options on your display to factory defaults, it may be a wonky configuration that is making it mess up.
    6. If possible, try a different OS, such as a Live CD Linux distro, and see if your monitor still does the same thing. If it does, it's more than likely a hardware problem.

4. Four_X

Four_X Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2009
    NOTTZ
    have you tried a different HDMI, DVI or VGA cable as they can go bad (It's happened to me before), does your monitor have different input options if so try them first you can also try to use a different output on your
    video card if you have one also if you have more than one video card slot on your motherboard try that as well also try uninstalling your video card drivers and installing the latest version.

5. Jakic007
    OP

Jakic007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2015
    Croatia
    I have tried reinstalling Windows and it happens again. I dont think it is software problem becouse I have the same problem before booting Windows. I have checked processor with prime95 for two hours and no problems. HDD is okay, GPU okay, PSU okay, tried different monitor and cables and the problem was still there, tried connecting DVI cable dirrectly in the motherboard and still the same problem, tried different RAM... I havent only tried different motherboard.

6. GreatCrippler

GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    If you've run the onboard graphics directly to a display as well as a video card, and the same problem persists before an OS kicks in. It's gotta be the board. A damn peculiar problem though. Only other things i can suggest are to try hard resetting the bios. (Yank the CMOS battery, and all Power, then hold the power button for 30 seconds. Wait 5 minutes, then put the battery back, and try again) This sounds like maybe it could be heat related. You said you tried different CPUs, but is it the same Heatsink and fan? Using enough Thermal paste? Is there a heatsink on the board somewhere getting too hot? Or a spot where one should be that there isn't?

7. Jakic007
    OP

Jakic007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2015
    Croatia
    I have tried clr CMOS and the problem is still here, I have changed thermal paste but it is not that becouse temperatures are normal. So motherboard then?

8. GreatCrippler

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    I hate to generically say "Board's Toast" But it seems to me you have tried just about everything else.

9. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Try to boot into a Linux distro (just try ubuntu) and see if the problem persists. Otherwise, this may be a video card problem. Try uninstalling your video card driver from the Device Manager in Windows, then reboot to use your on-board graphics.

10. Jakic007
    OP

Jakic007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2015
    Croatia
  11. GreatCrippler

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    He tried onboard as well as otherwise. And the problem hits before the OS kicks on. Which means its happening during post. Linux won't help.

12. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Hmm. Try putting the GPU in a different PCI slot? It's hard to believe all of them could be fried.

13. GreatCrippler

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    I thought about that too, but if he's getting the same problem with the onboard, I kinda doubt its a bad slot.

14. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Not really, because the actual cable is still connected to the GPU in the possibly broken slot, even if it's not using the GPU drivers.

15. GreatCrippler

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Maybe, but seems like a long shot.

16. Jakic007
    OP

Jakic007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2015
    Croatia
    But when I connect DVI cable directly to motherboard the problem is still here.

17. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    There's actually a DVI port on your motherboard? Okay. Sorry, yeah, it's got to be a board problem then.

18. Jakic007
    OP

Jakic007 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2015
    Croatia
    Thank you guys!

19. Zanoab

Zanoab GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2009
    United States
    How are your temperatures? It might not be cooling probably and shutting down parts to prevent damage.

20. GreatCrippler

Mar 27, 2010
    United States
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Been there, tried that, read the thread. :-P

Jakic007 likes this.